How low should a tonearm go?

losingtoday

Hello all. New user here. Been using a Pro-ject Debut III for many years now and just realized that the tonearm lowers quite low when I put the lever down. Is this normal? I've looked at about a dozen forum threads and watched countless youtube videos to make sure that the tonearm is set up properly, but it doesn't matter what I do, the tonearm lowers past the platter when I check in the space in between the platter and tonearm rest.

So, is this normal? If not, what can I do to remedy the situation? I'm not particularly good at the technical and handy side of things, so any simple solutions would be appreciated...

I have attached a picture to show you just what I mean.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo on 2017-03-26 at 2.04 AM.jpg
    Photo on 2017-03-26 at 2.04 AM.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 60
With the counterweight properly set, the arm will of course drop down below horizontal when it's not on the rest or supported by a record.

Adjust the counterweight to "0" and the arm should float level. If not, adjust the counterweight till that happens, move the indicator to "0" and then turn the weight to the correct preload for your cartridge.

The tonearm will drop as low as the pivot or bearing will allow until something stops it. Not a problem at all.

In a nutshell, as long as the tonearm and record are parallel when the needle is on the record, you should be good to go:

IMG_3610_zps93996841.jpg

The height of the tonearm head-shell area when not on the record doesn't matter.

I'm inheriting one, I just need to figure out how to move it into my apartment from where it currently lives, the biggest problem is the cabinet it's in is really heavy.
You'll love it.
They are heavy to start with. My plinth weighs 47 lbs, add the table at around 27 lbs and you're looking at close to 80 lbs.

Apologies to the OP. I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.

You'll love it.
They are heavy to start with. My plinth weighs 47 lbs, add the table at around 27 lbs and you're looking at close to 80 lbs.

Apologies to the OP. I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.
Mine is closer to 150 with the cabinet, it's in a piece of furniture about 36"×24×24 and solid wood.

Hello all. New user here. Been using a Pro-ject Debut III for many years now and just realized that the tonearm lowers quite low when I put the lever down. Is this normal? I've looked at about a dozen forum threads and watched countless youtube videos to make sure that the tonearm is set up properly, but it doesn't matter what I do, the tonearm lowers past the platter when I check in the space in between the platter and tonearm rest.

So, is this normal? If not, what can I do to remedy the situation? I'm not particularly good at the technical and handy side of things, so any simple solutions would be appreciated...

I have attached a picture to show you just what I mean.

Thanks!

Welcome to AK!

The tonearm will drop as low as the pivot or bearing will allow until something stops it. Not a problem at all.

Back to the original question, what member mhainz said above is what I believe to be the answer. That said, really, really pretty plinth the_nines!

Thanks so much for the information everyone. I'm glad to hear I have nothing to worry about then. And no worries about the topic change, I very much welcome it. Beautiful turntables you got there!

Back
Top Bottom