How many cartridges do you own?

Since last year I've added:
AT14Sa Used but young
Dynavector 10x3 (came with a table I bought. Also young)
Traded the Digitrac for credit toward a Hana EL
Traded the EL for credit on a Hana SL
Got a third, spherical stylus for the Stanton. Does wonders for my parent's LPs from the 50s.

These rotate on 3 turntables.

Interested in your experience with the Hana swap...I don't wanna sidetrack OP's thread, so I'll send PM.

So that puts me at four...
Before I found this thread, I thought that would be a lot...:rflmao:
Make that five.
Picked up an Ortofon FF15-XE MK-II off the auction site cheap, and put on a new Ortofon stylus....Good sound, for an $80 investment..

Ony two for now.

AT95E and AT440MLb but I`m looking to buy Shure M97xE and maybe AT-VM740ML.

Small update...

Audio Technica AT95E (two pieces)
Audio Technica AT440MLb
Excel ES-70F (Plan to buy Onkyo DN-25-ST needle)
Ortofon F15XE MkII

Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood
Ortofon 2m Blue
Grado Blue
Shure m97xe
AT95e
CF3600LE
AT91

I like them all in their own ways. I've learned that these things can very often sound different, but that different does not equal better nor worse in many instances. The worst value by far is the Clearaudio, although it sounds the best overall.

The best value by far is the AT95e after having been potted and epoxied into a wood body, with a .3X.7 stylus installed naked. It sounds (and looks) eerily close to the Clearaudio for a pittance. When the .3X.7 needs to be replaced I'll add a VL or HE and see where that takes it.

The Grado also sounds really great after having been potted, siliconed and longhorned per Van Alstine instructions. One thing I know is that I'll never buy a big money cartridge. Too much great sound at great value to be had.

Oddly enough, this part of the audio hobby eludes me. I only have carts on my working TT's. No spare stylus' either.

I'm interested in the Hana swap, too. Why not make it a thread?

It was a special situation. It wouldn't be available to anyone else I think. If you have re-tip coverage you could ask your dealer how much it would cost to re-tip your EL with a Shibata.

I've only had the SL for a few days; but I'd say it is more detailed, without being bright. I have heard things I never noticed before.
The soundstage is definitely deeper. Lead vocalists seem closer or larger? than any of my other cartridges. On a few recordings a bit in my face.
It is just more 'real'. I am enjoying the SL a lot; but when I plug my Denon DL-301 Mk II in the difference is not huge...yet. The SL is still breaking in.
I am only replying at this early stage because I'll probably forget haw the EL sounded pretty soon.
Is the SL worth $275 more than the EL? Only if your system is pretty resolving, I think. Bang for the buck, The Denon is an amazing bargain for the $329 I paid.

Is that listing by order of preference?

Nope the listing is completely random. Or it could be reverse alphabetical. That's it!

I only keep cartridges I love. The newcomer is the Urushi, and I have not got it completely sorted out yet. So the jury is out on it. The Denon is remarkable for the little money I spent on it. It's my beater cartridge for casual listening. The Winfeld is wonderful in its clarity and neutrality. The ZYX is refined, layered, detailed, and sophisticated. Everything a high performance moving coil is supposed to be, with that Japanese flair.

And at the moment I am trying to talk myself into a Kiseki Purpleheart.

And I like the Winfeld enough that I plot and scheme for a way to get an A90 or A95.

Regards
Mister Pig.

Last edited:
Shure m44e
Shure m55e
Shure m97xe
V15 rs x 3
Shure me95ed
Shure m91ed
Radio Shack rxp3
AT 130e
Pickering xv15:400
Stanton 600ee x 2
Stanton 681ee
Stanton 681eee
Stanton 881s x 2
Grado red
Grado gold
Unknown Signet that came on Denon dp47f
I mostly use the 881's and v15rs's

Shure m44e
Shure m55e
Shure m97xe
V15 rs x 3
Shure me95ed
Shure m91ed
Radio Shack rxp3
AT 130e
Pickering xv15:400
Stanton 600ee x 2
Stanton 681ee
Stanton 681eee
Stanton 881s x 2
Grado red
Grado gold
Unknown Signet that came on Denon dp47f
I mostly use the 881's and v15rs's
Another V15 RS fan! What styli are you using? I have a Jico SAS (not the newer neoSAS), a Jico MR, and 2 older Shures. I think a HE and a MR. It's hard to tell the difference with a $40 USB microscope.

Current line-up:

P-Mount: Empire 480LT, Pickering TL-4S, ADC PSX-40, Audio Technica AT331LP, Shure 110HE

Standard: Nagaoka MP-150, Nagaoka MP-110, Grado Blue2, Grado Red1, Empire 2000 e/ii, Goldring Elektra

Right now I really seem to only be using the MP-150. I don't even have a p-mount table with me anymore (it's at our vacation home). But I decided to stop re-selling cartridges I buy so quickly and actually build up a bit of a collection. I've got my eyes on the Goldring 1012GX next! Never bought a non-vintage cartridge with a fine line stylus.

Hi, 2channel, I hadn't been using my turntables much for a few years and I had an almost new vnse3he stylus. Then I found a used rs with a good stylus on eBay which I was able to get at a great price. I also got a now m111he as a backup, though not quite as good as the original rs stylus. I bought the rs's at a RadioShack outlet in Maryland probably in the early 80's. Poor man's vxmr.

Back
Top Bottom