How many cartridges do you own?

Audio Technica ART-9
Dynavector Ruby, retipped by Soundsmith keeping the original Ruby cantilever
Shure V15-iii with JICO SAS, a holdover from the days when I had a Dual

Damn you Moving Coils - I want my weekends back!
All I want to do now is spin records any chance I get...

1) Fidelity Research FR1 MK3 F + one NOS spare - (very lush sounding with super flat frequency. Very good with vocals and amazing tone on jazz instruments)

2) Shinon Red Boron - (My favorite. Unexplainable but amazing at everything. Like the Fidelity Research but punchier)

3) AT OC9 III - (superb frequency range, great bass and smoother top end than other AT's. Super quiet in the grooves)

Wow! All this time I've been thinking I might have gone a little overboard with my collection, but not now...

I have three Bang & Olufsen tables using B&O's three cartridge generations.

For the Beogram 3000 (last B&O table to use SP generation cartridges)
SP 10A - naked spherical diamond on aluminum tube cantilever

For the Beogram 1900 (my main table, eight cartridges in rotation, one stunt cartridge*)
MMC20 CL - naked contact line diamond on single crystal sapphire cantilever
MMC6000 (five) - naked Pramanik diamond on beryllium cantilever
MMC4000 (two) - naked elliptical diamond
MMC20 S - framed spherical diamond (*for testing, adjustments, unknown records)

For the Beogram 5005 (first model of the last B&O table series)
MMC2 - naked contact line diamond on sapphire tubular cantilever

I guess I better get busy and catch up. I only have three right now:

1) Monster Cable Alpha-2 (new LC stylus on ruby cantilever by SoundSmith) - mounted on my WT table.
2) Sumiko Blue Point Special (original version)
3) Audio Technica AT90E - mounted on my Hitachi HT40S (table used mostly for applying record cleaner - rarely plays music).

When properly aligned they all sound good :) The Monster is pretty nice.

Because I have the Shure/SAS and was wondering where you rank it, I'd love a Glider, and I'm considering an AT-150MLX.
I haven't done a lot of critical listening on my system between these three specifically, but I've found ATs to be far too bright for me. The glider is where it's at, and I'd place the Shure between the two. I'll have to take a closer listen to the Shure, but I'm done with the AT.

If you're looking for a great bargain, the Benz Ace SH is fantastic. Very, very close to the glider without the need for a SUT. That's where I'd go in your position.

I haven't done a lot of critical listening on my system between these three specifically, but I've found ATs to be far too bright for me. The glider is where it's at, and I'd place the Shure between the two. I'll have to take a closer listen to the Shure, but I'm done with the AT.

If you're looking for a great bargain, the Benz Ace SH is fantastic. Very, very close to the glider without the need for a SUT. That's where I'd go in your position.
Thanks for the reply. I'll put the ACE on my short list.

Denon DL-110 on my Pioneer PL-570 plus 4 extras (I got a really good deal on them a couple years back)
Ortofon Super OM 10 on the Orbit.

Mike

I now own five cartridges, but only two work!

Working:

Dynavector 20XL (retipped by Soundsmith)
Van den Hul One (retipped by Van den Hul, high hours)

Not working:

Benz Micro Reference II (too many hours, died in action)
Rega Elys 2 (destroyed in unfortunate accident)
Denon 103 (cantilever severely bent, high hours)

I'll have to reload when I get some money. I was thinking of trying a Hana, they seem like a decent deal for $750.

I repaired/refurbished turntables for several years so I have a large collection of cartridges possibly 100 or more.

Nagaoka MP-50 Super
Garrott P77
Staonton 980 LZS
AKG P8ES Super Nova
Grace F9
Signet TK7EA
Audio Technica AT13E
Shure M91EDx3
Stanton 681
Ortofon 510 MKII

I now own five. In addition to my Denon DL103, Grace F8C and F8L, and Shure M97xE, I have recently acquired an ADC XLMll. It's very good, tracking it at 0.6g!

Just two currently but have owned quite a few.

LP gear a3sm vessel
Grace F9e (So good might be the last cartridge I'll ever want)

Audiofreak71

I think 12 or 13. All work properly and have a good stylus.

The only ones I've listened to in the last month are:

Empire 3000 MEX
Shure V15 II
Audio Technica/LP Gear CF3600LE (on my 'ripping' table)

Last edited:
Well these days I am down to 3, and really don't use the third one.

1. ZYX 4D
2. Ortofon Cadenza Red
3. Denon DL 304

Regards
Mister Pig

Back
Top Bottom