How many decibels?

imral3

Enjoy the musics!!
My average listening level, measured with the Sound Meter Pro app on my Android, from my listening position is about 85db. Anyone else ever measure this?

Yep, I use the SPLnFFT app on iOS (supppsed to be one of the more accurate apps) I listen around 75 db when my wife is home and 80 - 85 dB when I’m alone. I'm about 14 -15 feet from the speakers.

Last edited:
This question comes up periodically. In my case my usual listening levels are in the high 80's A weighted dB wise. OTOH I've been known to "rock out" with peak levels approaching 110dB.

FWIW: I use a calibrated microphone and REW to measure sound levels.

When I owned a recording studio, we used to monitor from 90-100 dB SPL. Now at home, I listen at 85-90 average. I use a power meter to roughly determine the SPL. 1 w=90db on my ads1290-2s. This meter also goes up to 'lease breaker' levels, I live in an apartment. I can open my amps. to full power for short burst tests. just to see what they can do.

I read this and I find its interesting that most people listen at about 85-90, just as I do. This is basically the 1w. level. Maybe its true what they say, "An amp, is only as good as it's first Watt."

I've measured an average of 7.5 W at 95dB.

(Edit: 93dB/W/m)

Last edited:
75 to 80 dB is my usual listening range, measured using the Sound Meter app on my Android smartphone.

Normal level sitting in my sweet spot....11' equilateral triangle is 72db.

Rocking hard is 119-124db.

The most I ever measured at the casa was 118 dB. It was ear splitting for me, so much so I had trouble making my way to the amp to turn it down!

Remember that every time you go up 3dB you double the sound level. Actually this isn't quite correct, it's actually about 6dB, but that's only because human perceived level is different to measured level. Weird isn't it.
So basically 90dB is twice as loud as 87dB. It's surprising how low a level that a hifi amp normally actually runs at. It normally averages at just a few watts as an average value, but musical transients can produce surprisingly high levels.
It all depends upon how you measure it.

The average listener listens around 85 db, slow and A weighted. Professionals and audiophiles up to 5 db more. That means you need to figure 6 to 10 db more for peaks. As Average speakers sensitivity now days is 90 db at 1 meter if you listen at 12 ft from one speaker that would mean your speaker would have to put out 102 db if the room were very dead and around 96 db in a bright room for an average sound level. Peaks could add another 10 db or any where from 112 to 106 db. That would be any where from 40 to 150 watts, per channel. Thats not to bad. If you had Klipsch Cornwalls that would be about 3 to 6 watts, and La Scalas would mean 1.5 to 3 or 4 watts. Of course of you had the new Magnapans 30.7 you would need around 600 watts. $ 30,000 for speakers and another 15 to 20,000 for amps. Ouch.

Remember that every time you go up 3dB you double the sound level. Actually this isn't quite correct, it's actually about 6dB, but that's only because human perceived level is different to measured level. Weird isn't it.
So basically 90dB is twice as loud as 87dB. It's surprising how low a level that a hifi amp normally actually runs at. It normally averages at just a few watts as an average value, but musical transients can produce surprisingly high levels.
It all depends upon how you measure it.

Actually, when you double the watts, you increase 3db. 10db is double the sound level.

Rob

I've been fooling around with a 10 WPC class A Lindsey-Hood amp, so holding my listening level down to avoid pushing it into distortion by "listening louder". By starting lower than the usual default listening level of ca 90bB, my hearing doesn't have to compensate by shutting sensitivity downward, and I can enjoy the music in the lower 80s, peaking to ca 90.

Last edited:
I think my acoustic jazz is around 70dB usually, though maybe 60 when someone's sleeping in the next room.

Obviously I haven't measured it, but I'm lucky to live in a quiet place so I don't need much volume.

Once in awhile I put on Zeppelin and then all bets are off of course.

PS: if you should get stuck overnight at SFO, the recorded public-service security announcements are about 100dB, and they repeat every 90 seconds. All night long. You won't be sleeping. Guess how I know.

The average listener listens around 85 db, slow and A weighted. Professionals and audiophiles up to 5 db more. That means you need to figure 6 to 10 db more for peaks. As Average speakers sensitivity now days is 90 db at 1 meter if you listen at 12 ft from one speaker that would mean your speaker would have to put out 102 db if the room were very dead and around 96 db in a bright room for an average sound level. Peaks could add another 10 db or any where from 112 to 106 db. That would be any where from 40 to 150 watts, per channel. Thats not to bad. If you had Klipsch Cornwalls that would be about 3 to 6 watts, and La Scalas would mean 1.5 to 3 or 4 watts. Of course of you had the new Magnapans 30.7 you would need around 600 watts. $ 30,000 for speakers and another 15 to 20,000 for amps. Ouch.
Buuuut, and this is me asking a question, under 200hz peaks would be much more demanding than over 200hz peaks. Obvious there are some sounds floating around there, but the required wattage to push a driver at 1khz/89dB has got to be a magnitude lower than to push a driver at 100hz/89dB.

Or am I just not getting something here? Like my sub is 95dB efficient...but that doesn't mean it's going to push 35hz tone at 95dB at 1 watt. Or is it?

I need some remedial math. Or just a heads up on exactly how speakers are tested for dB ratings.

Back
Top Bottom