How many have speakers toed in?

cassette

I was just thinking about this as I play with different speakers in my modest room. I have some Epicure 20s that are designed to be placed up against the wall. Doing this would eliminate the process of toeing them in. I normally don't toe in speakers just for appearances sake, although when I play with it is helps some speakers, not others. Anyway, so my question is: How many just set their speakers up straight and rely on sound dispersion to make it work and how many experiment with toeing in to refine their sweet spot?

A

One pair I have toed in and one pair not. It can depend on the speaker. Try tilting them back a little also. The pair I have toed in are raised with the tweeters at ear level. The others are on the floor with the front tilted up. Both sound best that way for my room.

Ifn I toed em once, I done toe dem twice ... ;-}

Yup ... 17 degrees in, if anyone's counting. Gives me a perfect image using my Carver C9 holograph. That makes toe critical - I've got mats nailed to the floor under the speakers, and those are marked exactly where they need to go if I move them.

(Or they move themselves if I'm really crankin' it) <G>

Toe-in is generally dictated by the splay pattern and primary lobe. Speaker manufacturers generally give their recommendations. Being off-axis of the primary lobe doesn't assist in imaging. Many use a focal point. It depends on the specific design.

With my round midrange horns I have to look straight down the center of the horn to get good imagine

My Snell Type C’s are not toed in. My E II’s and C IV’s are toed in. The Type C’s lose all of their openness and imaging when toed in. The others sound like separate speakers is not toed in.

My current standmounters are slightly toed-in, perhaps 15 and 17 degrees (inner and outer pair) or so. 8ft and 9ft (approx) apart.

I have the Altec Lansing 315s in my secondary system toed in some, and tilted back a little on stands that are approximately 10 inches tall.

With new speakers I always start with no toe in, and adjust to suit the room.

My current JBL monitors are ever so slightly toed in.

Too much toe in kills imaging imho.

They were toed in until earlier this summer. Pointing them straight ahead while eight feet apart seemingly does a better job of filling the entire 23Lx13Wx10H listening space with sound.

My Snell Type C’s are not toed in. My E II’s and C IV’s are toed in. The Type C’s lose all of their openness and imaging when toed in. The others sound like separate speakers is not toed in.

I found the exact same thing when I had my Snell C’s, zero toe in produced the best imaging.

I got toes over here in the home theater.
In the music room I actually have them 90 degrees. I sit in the middle of the room and have one speaker on the right and one on the left, so each one of my ears has its own speaker. Its kinda like headphones now that I think about it. This is due to the layout of my room but I must admit it sounds awesome.

Back
Top Bottom