How many have speakers toed in?

I am so close to my speakers I can literally reach out and touch them. Near field set up at desk. I employ zero toe-in. I am enveloped by the sound.
UPDATE: Just changed to about a 30 degree toe-in. I'm liking it so far.

My Tri-amped Magnapan MGIIIa's are toed in 4.5 inches
Regards,
Jim

Thanks for all the discussions! I have been playing with my two current favorites: Spica-sc50s and Epicure 20s and now I don't feel so bad about toeing the Spica's in. The Epicures are more of a challenge but then I think they were designed to create more of a wall of sound than achieve a high degree of imaging. Awesome thoughts all!

A

All of them. I have them aimed directly at my normal listening position. They are not designed to be omnidirectional or bi/dipolar and I find imaging is best that way. Now, if I were truly OCD I might have some conflicts about that but, thankfully, my condition isn't that drastic.

Last edited:
I toe-in as like others, I find imaging is better. Never read the manual to my speakers until lately because I was bored. It also recommends toe-in.

I also like having the distance between the two speakers the same as my distance from my recliner to the centerline of the two speakers (make a triangle).

I toed mine in very slightly, and noticed an improvement, so then, in order to get the full benefit available, I just pointed them directly at one another. My ear tells me they don't sound as good that way, but the logic, being irrefutable, won out. It's a case of intelligence over perception. I'm certain you all will agree.

Mine are pointed slightly towards my seating position on the couch. Rears are pairs stacked in a dipole and the lower pair are also pointed towards the same spot, uppers are forward. Everything is placed with a tape measure. Downfiring designed sub is in a corner on it's side pointing to another wall a few feet away (side wall of fireplace).

Sounds fine to me.

Several people said it well - essentially, it depends on the speaker design intent and its radiation pattern. The ones that are designed to give best results when placed normally without toe-in shouldn't be placed toe-in. Most familiar examples are omni-directional ones, like MBLs.

toed-in
kR3knnl.gif

Back
Top Bottom