1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

How many joined the Columbia Records Club?

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by pfcs49, Nov 23, 2018.

1. pfcs49

pfcs49 Phil Subscriber

I’m interested in hearing how many people remember that old club and fell for the introductory offer and how long they stuck around fullfilling your commitments

Please register to disable this ad.

2. UncleBingo

UncleBingo AK Subscriber Subscriber

I neither affirm nor deny, but leave defendant to his proofs. So that's a solid maybe.

3. qdrone

qdrone Music is my mistress

I joined probably 3 separate times. I would join get my introductory haul wait around two years and cancel. Two years later I'd join again get my introductory haul then repeat my m.o. Cant complain,I think I broke even over the long haul.

mgkfifty, Lavane and UncleBingo like this.
  4. olddude55

olddude55 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I joined a couple of times, both for LPs and CDs.
    I still remember the introductory offer when my mom signed us up. I got Edgar Winter's They Only Come Out At Night, my brother got Fresh from Sly and the Family Stone.
    My dad's record was the hits of Simon and Garfunkel played by the Boston Pops.

qdrone, parman and UncleBingo like this.
  5. bobins08

bobins08 Loving the dream Subscriber

Yeah I was in for LPs in high school and CDs later years after college.

Music junkie.

6. pfcs49

pfcs49 Phil Subscriber

I joined in 63 or 64 one I would’ve been 15 or 16.
    I remember To join you got six free records and choose one that you had to pay for then you had to buy one record every month for the rest of the year. It got to be a pretty big drag! It seems like they didn’t put thatThat still sounds sublime many great records up on the monthly offers plus I had to get my mom to write me a check and all that kind of nonsense I need to pay her back. But I still have some pretty cool records from that experience Like some six eye jazz records That still sound sublime

qdrone and UncleBingo like this.

7. rcspkramp

rcspkramp AK Subscriber Subscriber

8. cartop

cartop Super Member

I bit twice also...........:smoke:...............it was the seventies. :rockon:

9. SiliconTi

SiliconTi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just once, did the minimum purchases and got out.

10. csgreene

csgreene Member

It was long ago but I moved around a lot so I may have joined numerous times for the free records. ;)

UncleBingo likes this.
  11. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ditto!

pfcs49 likes this.

12. kaplang

kaplang Works for me ! Subscriber

I joined the club about 10 times.

qdrone likes this.
  13. parman

parman HO HO HO Subscriber

probably 2 or 3 times with RCA & Columbia. The last time was for CD's whenever that was, 90's I guess. Seems like by the 80's you got 10 LP's for signing up

qdrone and UncleBingo like this.
  14. Moon_Man

Moon_Man Dreps Crone Maze

Guilty as charged. Probably '72. Got some good records, stuck around just long enough to fulfill my minimum requirement.

Here's another similar question. Did anyone ever buy those "loss leader" albums that were advertised on the inner sleeves featuring a bunch of the record company's less-than-successful signed bands? One was called "The Big Ball" and I'm sure if I had the energy I could go find plenty of '70s inner sleeves with the the rest of them. For the "record", I never bought one.

Yet another: who responded to the Grateful Dead's statement on the back of the skull and roses album (unofficially titled Skull F--k) that said something like: "Who are you? Where are you? Let us know" with an address to write to?

15. orthophonic

orthophonic Super Member

I joined in 1964, got 14 free albums at joining. and I stayed until 1980. After you met your obligation, you got one free LP for everyone you bought and many times they would have slightly older titles on sale
    for $1.99.

jrtrent likes this.
  16. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

I was a member for several years. Acquired some very nice classical albums.

17. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Active Member

I talked my Mom into joining in 1978.
    I was amazed they would give you 12 albums for a penny.
    I still remember the dashed outline for a penny you would tape in place on the order form.
    I am pretty sure we fulfilled the total commitment. I don’t know how many albums that was...
    I do remember in the initial order choosing Kiss double platinum, Kiss destroyer, Styx pieces of eight, Styx grand illusion. That’s all I remember.

I still have those albums today.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    qdrone likes this.
  18. Route 66

Route 66 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah, I remember the Columbia Record Club as being very easy to join, but very difficult to er...un-join after you had completed your initial obligation.

19. lokerola

lokerola AK Subscriber Subscriber

I did, for CD’s.

20. Montycat

Montycat AK Subscriber Subscriber

And who replied to the Manfred Mann's Good Earth offer for the rights to a square foot of Wales? I would have loved to do that.