How many joined the Columbia Records Club?

I joined in 1964, got 14 free albums at joining. and I stayed until 1980. After you met your obligation, you got one free LP for everyone you bought and many times they would have slightly older titles on sale
for $1.99.

Yep, I didn't join until 1979 (my freshman year of college), but joined 3 times simultaneously (in my name, my roommates name and my mom's name back home). Each time, I got 14 records for a penny. I seem to recall back then, you had to by 6 regular price albums within 12 months to meet your obligation, then as you said, one free album for every one you bought, with lots of $1.99 specials. Once the obligations were met, I canceled my roommate's and mom's membership and kept mine for a few more years to get the 2 for 1s and $1.99 specials.

Did the same thing, at the same time, with the RCA Record Club. I think you got 8 or 9 albums for a penny, but only had to buy 4 or 5 at regular price to meet your obligation.

I can't remember if I joined Columbia House for records. I definitely did do the DVD thing several times.

The record one I did join for sure was the Record Club Of Canada. They didn't use the negative option of you having to return the card or they would ship a record automatically. You had to tell them what you wanted instead and they also had a lot lower committment threshold. I think I got 4 or maybe 6 records for joining.

Unfortunately they also went out of business shortly after I joined so I think I only got 4 records. Two at least were Steely Dan as I recall. Maybe So Far by CSN&Y too?

This might be better as a Poll.
How many times did you join the Columbia Record club? Possible answers 1,2,3,4, 5 or more... :D

I don't think I actually ever bought a actually record from them just cassettes and CD's

Guilty as charged. Probably '72. Got some good records, stuck around just long enough to fulfill my minimum requirement.

Here's another similar question. Did anyone ever buy those "loss leader" albums that were advertised on the inner sleeves featuring a bunch of the record company's less-than-successful signed bands? One was called "The Big Ball" and I'm sure if I had the energy I could go find plenty of '70s inner sleeves with the the rest of them. For the "record", I never bought one.

Yet another: who responded to the Grateful Dead's statement on the back of the skull and roses album (unofficially titled Skull F--k) that said something like: "Who are you? Where are you? Let us know" with an address to write to?
Never bought the Warner Loss Leaders back in the day, but I have one now, think I picked it up at HalfPrice Book's bargain bin. It has the Kinks' "Picture Book" on it, so it's worth spinning every now and then.

Yep, joined 2 or 3 times for the "6 records for a penny" type deals. Only stuck around long enough to fulfill the deal then got out. One of those clubs would automatically send you the "record of the month" unless you sent in the order form saying not to, got a couple of pretty crappy records by mistake thanks to that scheme! Got a few decent open reel tapes tapes through the Columbia House club although their selection was generally pretty poor.

Here's another similar question. Did anyone ever buy those "loss leader" albums that were advertised on the inner sleeves featuring a bunch of the record company's less-than-successful signed bands? One was called "The Big Ball" and I'm sure if I had the energy I could go find plenty of '70s inner sleeves with the the rest of them. For the "record", I never bought one.

I've got a few of those, didn't buy them back then but I always wanted to. I've got one called "All Singing All Dancing", one called "Limo Ride", "The Big Ball", I think there's one just called Loss Leaders. These were all from the Warner Bros label I believe.

EDIT: Boy did I ever get those album titles wrong! So I've got: "The Whole Burbank Catalog", "All Singing, All Talking, All Rocking", "Limo", "Menu - Hot Platters", "Together", "Schlagers" and one called "Zapped" which consists of artists linked somehow to Frank Zappa (Alice Cooper, Captain Beefheart, Wildman Fisher, The GTO's etc). There are more of them that I wouldn't mind having. Some of the stuff on them is pretty cool and they were done with a good sense of humor and hipness.

They are all under the Warner Bros. label, at least I remembered that much!

Last edited:
And who replied to the Manfred Mann's Good Earth offer for the rights to a square foot of Wales? I would have loved to do that.
Reminds me of the scene in Woody Allens Love and Death where he opens a satchel bag and shows the woman he's wooing a piece of earth and tells her his parents left him some land.

Columbia, RCA and BMG multiple times in the 70s and 80s. Always calculated the average cost of all the records I got and it always worked out to a reasonable deal. Once I fulfilled the obligation, I sent them a letter cancelling my subscription.

Never an issue with cancelling.

Do any of these albums look familiar? Believe all were from the club. Ventures were my brother's choice while other two came from my parents. Still have them. :eek:

Attachments

• image (034)--Ventures.jpeg
    image (034)--Ventures.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 15
  • mrobbins.jpg
    mrobbins.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 15
  • image (01E)-Flyin saucer.jpeg
    image (01E)-Flyin saucer.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 15
yeah i joined around 1972 then canceled after whatever amount was needed to fulfill my obligation i might of joined again or or another label but dont really remember it was a long time ago and my memory is shit now. im sure i got at least one of the automatic picks because i didnt pick something myself..

I did, and stuck with them for quite a while. Joined again for CDs, but quit when they screwed up my order for the third time and wouldn't do anything about it.

Nope. Never joined Columbia House. They had too much of a commitment. RCA, and later BMG, I joined (and quit) several times. Never had problem with them, outside of my tardiness sending back my "I don't want this crap" card.

I joined Columbia as well as the International Preview Society and the Musical Heritage Society. I thought all three offered good value and selection.

I joined once, around 1975. Got my free lot for a penny. I don't remember how it went from there, other than they contacted me about not keeping up with my obligation and offered me a great deal to get out, except for this one; a real Dog of an LP:
CapnTennille.jpg

I was always tempted but never got sucked in. It was probably a good deal for those who would pay attention to the selections.

My older sister was allowed to join as long as she let me have one pick. I choose Kiss "Destroyer".

Not sure how it went from there. I remember my mom getting on my sister to keep up with the club.

I joined the 8 Track club .. :whip:.. that was wise a investment :rolleyes:

Learned my lesson though .. years latter joined the DVD club (several times) & flipped em on eBay :naughty: .. using the profits ... bought Vinyl from the dollar bins.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom