How Many Kenwood/Trio Components Have you Heard/Owned?

Yeah, and that was back when things were built to last.
It isn't that the quality isn't there today as well, but more of a built in obsolescence nowadays that wasn't there 40 years ago. I sometimes catch myself looking at higher end integrated (solid state) amps like the Yamaha A-S3000 http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s3000_u/?mode=model which for $7000 probably is in the ballpark of what I paid for the Kenwood 700M/700C in 1975 dollars. I wonder how these new amps sound over my old Kenny, and in 40 years will someone be able to go through it and make it like new again? Doesn't matter, being retired and 60 I couldn't afford a new amp like that and if I could, chances are it would easily outlive me at this point!

That's exactly what built-in obsolescence is—intentionally designing things not to last, presumably to protect future profits. I'm fully convinced manufacturers today put lots of circuit boards in their products in place of simpler and more reliable electro-mechanical components as de facto self-destruct mechanisms. Almost invariably, these control boards go out long before any mechanical parts give way but the control boards are priced such that it is usually more cost effective to replace the item than to repair it.

Have KD-2055. Great little TT thanks to replacement motor mounts from Organ Donor Parts!
Once had KR-2120. Horrible little receiver with useless power bandwidth and single-rail supply. Think early '70s Hong-Kong-made transistor radio in a wooden sleeve.

Currently own:
Kenwood L-07 C II, total rebuild
2 L-07 M II, total rebuild
2 L-09 M, total rebuild
KT 7020
KD 850
this is my every day Music Machine

still own:
4 L-07 M II
2 L-07 M
L-07 C II
L-07 C
L-08 C
2 L-08 M
KT 7020
Basic C-2
Basic M2a with DRM Set
KA 800
KA 880 SX

Owned
KA 1100 SD
KA 990 SX
KA 880 D
Basic M-1
Basic M-2
and some more

Richard

Last edited:
Well a few for sure

2- L-07D
1- L-02A
1- L-02T
2- KT-917
1- KA-907
1- KT 8007
1- KA-8006
1- L-1000T (current)
1- L-01A
1- KT-1000 audio purist
1- L-07M (pr)
1- L07M-II (pr)
1- L-09M (pr)

Currently have a KR-5010, a KA-7300 and a KT-7500.

I like the 5010 quite a bit. The KA/KT pairing does not rock my world, though it looks great.

Love the ole Kenwood Integrateds and their matching tuners!

KA-9100
KA-7300
KA-7100
KA-5700
KA-5500
KA-3500

Also KR-9600
Have a lonely 700C

Did I say I love vintage Kenwood stuff? ;-)

Owned:
Supreme 700C pre
Supreme 700M amp
Supreme 700T tuner
Supreme Model 500 integrated
Supreme Model 600 integrated
Supreme Model 600T tuner
KA-7100 integrated
KA-9100 integrated
KT-8300 tuner

Own:
KT-7500 walnut case in the box :)
KA-6150 integrated
KR-8340 Quad receiver

Heard:
(none)

Would like to hear:
L-series monoblocks
TRIO KA-9300

Try listening to a Kenwood speaker without an amplifier if that is the thrust of your objection. Technically, that defies common sense.

That's exactly what built-in obsolescence is—intentionally designing things not to last, presumably to protect future profits. I'm fully convinced manufacturers today put lots of circuit boards in their products in place of simpler and more reliable electro-mechanical components as de facto self-destruct mechanisms. Almost invariably, these control boards go out long before any mechanical parts give way but the control boards are priced such that it is usually more cost effective to replace the item than to repair it.
Then there's sentimentality, of which those will almost certainly pay for an item to be restored no matter what the cost. I've seen people put money into gear that's not worth squat, just because it was a family members item that was given to them and they want it to work again. I've got this early 80's Kenwood stack that doesn't work, but I'm sure it'll cost more to restore them than their worth, but I'm willing to get it looked at just to see if it's something simple. It's not sentimental to me at all, it's just the thought that counts and if it costs reasonable to get it fixed, I'd be willing to do so, then pass the karma, to a newbie who would appreciate it, seeing them smile and be happy would be payment enough for me.

Own:
KR-6160

Own, but needs restoration:
KR-6160 x2
KR-6140A
KR-6170

Heard:
KR-9050 (I think this is one piece I'd like to own)

Back
Top Bottom