How many L-09Ms

I have L-09ms (see sig line). Right now my Citation 16 is at St. Louis Computronics being gone over, and it will get whatever it needs up to and including a full restoration. When I pick it up, the L-09Ms are getting dropped off for the same treatment. They sound fine and are immaculate, but I'll leave any real assessment of their health to the professionals. Since I got into the Citation and the Kenwoods pretty cheaply(at least compared to ebay pricing) I definitely don't intend to scrimp on maintenance, they're too nice to let the magic smoke out of!

Maybe the question should have been, how many pairs can we account for on AK?

As great sounding as the L-09M was, it was a tough sell in 1980. The pencil lead gray color wasn't silver enough and wasn't black enough. In fact, it looked like upscale NAD. One of my pairs came with an original receipt for $650 which was a lot of money back then but compared to how much Silver Monsters were retailing for was a great deal. Compare the L-09M with kissing cousin Accuphase M-60 which was also a 300 wpc monoblock. Today, the M-60 is worth roughly double the L-09M because of the silver face.

Yup. All that work to make a great amp and then it got the ugly treatment. Not like the other L-0 amps which have some unique looks to them. The -09 is just a lopsided cyclops.

The L-05 is a block, the L-07 a block with a cooling chimney and heat sinks visible in the center. The L-06 with the honeycomb heatsink chimneys and the L-08 amps a unique look with a row of chimneys on one side. Did the design crew just settle for a meter and call it a day?

Last edited:
I have a pair of L-07M's. If you get L-07M/L-09 amps make sure you take care of them. Keeping caps up to date helps. This design was one of the first with a switching power supply.

OK, here we go again... They are NOT switching power supplies. They are perfectly conventional. Attached are the two schematics.

L07m:

L07m.JPG

L09:

LO9m.JPG

Back
Top Bottom