How many LP-12 owners on AK?

Got mine in the mid-70s with a Grace G940 arm IIRC. A couple of years later sent it to Pro Musica (the original in Urbana, IL, not the place in Chicago that borrowed the name) for their modified Grace 707/Shure V-15 IIIG combo. Haven't changed a thing on it since :music:

Mike

I have an early 80s LP12, original. It was serviced by a Linn tech. It works and sounds good. I am thinking about possibly having all the upgrades performed, including a plinth... or, do you think it might be just as well to purchase a new LP12?

It would be nice to have two turntables... especially LP12s.

I would keep one as vintage as possible, different sound, which some actually prefer.

Hi

I just purchased an LP12 from the net. Waiting on it to arrive in the post. Apparently it has a Valhalla & Cirkus mod?!?

Looking forward to hearing how it sounds :)

Should be very nice.

Excellent! The last time I heard one was 20 years ago. My father had one in his set up in the eighties and early nineties. I remember the sound being amazing.. I look forward to adding it to my collection :)

Now officially an owner of a Linn Sondek LP-12
:)
huqe4umy.jpg

I guess I should comment before this thread turns 6 next month. :)

Congratulations! This year will mark the 40th anniversary of hearing a spectacular system that recalibrated and forever shaped my perspective of what an audio system can do - and was sourced by an LP-12/SME.

As a teenager in the 70s, I ended up buying its close cousin, the Ariston RD-11s which I use in the garage system. I now use a retipped 80s vintage Shinon Red with it.

rd11s.jpg

I have an LP 12 that I bought in the early 80's. Just pulled it out of storage and I am waiting for my receiver to return to put it back into service.

It has the Basik Plus tonearm and original K5 cartridge. Looking for either a new stylus or cartridge in the $100-$120 range. Suggestions?

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

:)
huqe4umy.jpg

Please let us know your impressions as the TT settles in and you become familiar with it.

Happy (Sondek) Listening! :beatnik:

I bought my Linn LP-12 SN 034085 when it was 6 months old.
Purchased at Studio 99 Ltd Fairfax Road London on 7/15/81.
Cost-363 Pounds
Original owner said he took it home on the plane on his lap.
Original Basik arm replaced with a Ittok LV-II.
Black ash plinth with black smoked dust cover.
Virtually indistinguishable from the day it was made is not an exaggeration.
Goes without saying how good it sounds.

Happy listening!
Jimmy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I'm thinking seriously about getting rid of my LP-12 and Axis due to a recent interaction with the new Linn distribution network...

I've been servicing Linn tables for over a decade...used to do it working for the local Linn dealer and when they left town and left all their former customers without service, I took up the slack with the fellow I currently work with...been ordering parts as necessary for customers tables and had no problems whatsoever getting what was needed and satisfying our customers...everyone that had me service their tables was extremely pleased with my work, so it's not like I screwed the pooch or anything...

A few weeks ago a Linn that I have been taking care of for years came in for a new cartridge installation...well, anytime I do that I completely disassemble, clean, inspect, and polish the table while reassembling and tuning it.....

But, unfortunately his bearing had gone bad...the way you check a LP-12's bearing is to clean it totally and then look into the bearing at the bottom where the spindle rides....if you see a perfect reflection of your eye, then you are golden...but, should you see a spot then the bearing is no good any more and it and the center platter/spindle should be replaced (or, if you're good, you can repolish the spindle tip by starting with 600grit wet-or-dry and working your way up to the very finest Micro-Mesh abrasive....NOTHING less than this is really any good as when you look at the point with a microscope and haven't gone through the Micro-Mesh polishing you can really see the striations from polishing)...

So, we went through the normal channels we had for the past 10 years or so, and were informed that there was a change in the distribution of Linn....well, OK, lets do the hokey-pokey and contact the new giuys and get the parts...

Sounds simple, right?

Nope. They were incredulous that we were not a Linn dealer and doing service on their tables...after a bunch of back and forth crap they offered to set us up as a Linn dealer and all we had to do was buy an LP-12 and have it on display...as a "by appointment" business and dealing with truly high end enthusiasts, the Linn Sondek formula doesn't offer much to us or our customers

Even at dealer cost those suckers are at a price point that has a LOT of (IMNSHO) competition and would not even rate up in my top five of the $3.5K to $4K tables, and that's just for the entry level Majik...as you go higher there are even better alternatives... I have been a faithful Linn owner for nearly thirty years with my first Axis, which I traded towards my Sondek, and a second Axis that I keep for playing 45RPM...

It's also not like there is competition in the Linn market here, either, the closest dealer is in Dallas...what turntable owner wants to drive nearly an entire day to drop off their deck, the stick around until it's serviced, and then spend another 4 or 5 hours driving back home...

Shipping? Well, that ain't gonna work for keeping one in tune....

So, looks like I will probably have to let my Linnies know the bad news, and if it comes to that have them sell their decks and buy something better and not so damn persnickety....thanks new distribution channel, I really appreciate the work you do...NOT!

But, if you can get parts, they're not a bad deck...it's just unfortunate that so often the distributors are the ones that end up killing the desire and sales of products due to their ways...the world is changing and retail modes must adapt and adopt, or some really great things will be ground under the marching boots of progress...unfortunately all too many reps are grounded in the past, and that's a time that doesn't exist anymore...

I just keep thinking that if I sold both Linn tables that I would be pretty much on my way to owning a VPI Classic....and I REALLY like that table...and no maintenance issues....

Ahh well, glad I got that off my chest...

As always, YMMV.

Even at dealer cost those suckers are at a price point that has a LOT of (IMNSHO) competition and would not even rate up in my top five of the $3.5K to $4K tables, and that's just for the entry level Majik...as you go higher there are even better alternatives...

I doubt the local dealer here ever sell any, pretty sure they're over $5k. Completely ridiculous, and a major marketing faux pas.

I feel bad for all your old customers.

jeff

I just keep thinking that if I sold both Linn tables that I would be pretty much on my way to owning a VPI Classic....and I REALLY like that table...and no maintenance issues...
There's no question of the high bar set by the Linn set in the 70s. I use an Ariston RD-11 table purchased new in '76 in the vintage system sired by the same father which shares many of the same parts.

On the other hand, I use a VPI Scout in the main system. Harry Weisfeld changed the equation long ago. I've used their products since the early 80s when I bought an HW-2 isolation base and HW-16 RCM.

I doubt the local dealer here ever sell any, pretty sure they're over $5k. Completely ridiculous, and a major marketing faux pas.

I feel bad for all your old customers.

jeff

I just perused the new price list today and the LP12 Majik is nearly $5k...the base LP12 was $3.2K without arm or power supply....Majik PS is $600, Lingo is $1900...Ekos was in the $5K range...their better power supplies were much more expensive...Hell, I spent less for my 325iT than what they want for the commemorative, actually not too much more than the Majik...I bought the car used, but I'm positive the original owner of the car spent less than that deck's price....

The new distributors took over in October of 2013 and are really going to alienate a lot of their FORMER customers with their new attitude....

Screw Linn, just not worth it any more.

Back
Top Bottom