How many LP-12 owners on AK?

Does an Ariston RD11S count for this club? I got this off CL a few months ago and love it. The seller loaned me his RB300 tonearm while I was waiting for my Audiomods kit to arrive. Here it is with the Rega:

IMG_2751.jpg

And here it is as it looks now, with the Audiomods:

IMG_2794.jpg

It sounded great with the Rega, but the Audiomods is insane. Until last weekend, I was using an older Grado with 8MZ stylus, which was very nice. For the last few days, I've switched to my new (NOS) SAE 1000e. A seriously nice cart.

My Ariston runs a very tiny bit fast. I was thinking of trying the Music Hall Cruise Control box. Although isn't a 'table running a bit fast an essential part of PRAT?

If you had the regular RD11, then you could argue the point. The S is less similar.

FWIW, it's not the "Superieur," but an original and very early "S" which came out immediately after Linn started up. It's nearly identical to the very first LP12s, at least in its guts/platters. But I take your point.

Count me in as well. I have an LP12 turntable, Akito arm, K18 cartridge and Lingo power supply.

Lee.

Hello,

I'm the original owner of a 1975 LP12 with a Grace G707 and Shure V15 Type IV. Bought new in 1975 for $600 with the tonearm. It's never let me down...

Cheers

Hello,
I own a LP12 fitted with a Zeta tonearm/Koetsu black goldline cartridge.
The Zeta is quite rare even here in the UK where it was made in a garage! It's a heavy but excellent sounding arm if a little tall for the LP12 with it's lid closed (any slight transportation and it will touch/gently knock the top of the lid when fitted correctly).

I have 1982 model LP 12 kept stock with sme 3009 improved arm and a variety of mm cartridges of which I use Shure v15/III the most.

I use one at work pretty regularly...

USA_Lifepak12_SO.jpg

maybe a little different than what you were thinking of, but it is an LP12! :D

Late '80s LP12, no changes made to the stock table. Ittok LV II arm, cherry plinth. The cart is a lowly Grado Green, but it nevertheless sounds excellent.

The LP12 is undoubtedly a great table, however I am looking at downgrading to a Thorens TD 166 Mkii, which will free up some cash and still give me a really nice vintage suspended table design that has lots of upgrade potential.

Late '80s LP12, no changes made to the stock table. Ittok LV II arm, cherry plinth. The cart is a lowly Grado Green, but it nevertheless sounds excellent.

The LP12 is undoubtedly a great table, however I am looking at downgrading to a Thorens TD 166 Mkii, which will free up some cash and still give me a really nice vintage suspended table design that has lots of upgrade potential.
I have a 1986 LP12 and I recently had a Cirkus upgrade and it was a huge improvement. You may want to consider going in that direction. You'll have a much better TT than a downgraded Thorens then spending money to try to upgrade to the level of a Linn w/a Cirkus upgrade.:music:

I have a 1986 LP12 and I recently had a Cirkus upgrade and it was a huge improvement. You may want to consider going in that direction. You'll have a much better TT than a downgraded Thorens then spending money to try to upgrade to the level of a Linn w/a Cirkus upgrade.:music:

You are no doubt correct. My priorities have changed though. I listen to 90% CD/10% vinyl, and love my system for CD playback. CDs are cheap nowadays, while vinyl isn't. Plus, I could use the cash that I'll get making the change (it's a pretty good sum). I'll continue to spin and collect vinyl but it'll always be #2 behind CD I'm afraid. The Thorens will be upgraded when time and budget permit, so I won't be spending money right away on it.

The LP12 is fantastic and I've enjoyed owning mine, but it's too much table for me right now. Who knows though...it may not be the last one I ever own!

You are no doubt correct. My priorities have changed though. I listen to 90% CD/10% vinyl, and love my system for CD playback. CDs are cheap nowadays, while vinyl isn't. Plus, I could use the cash that I'll get making the change (it's a pretty good sum). I'll continue to spin and collect vinyl but it'll always be #2 behind CD I'm afraid. The Thorens will be upgraded when time and budget permit, so I won't be spending money right away on it.

The LP12 is fantastic and I've enjoyed owning mine, but it's too much table for me right now. Who knows though...it may not be the last one I ever own!
Funny I've gone in the opposite direction about 80/20 for LP's. I just received a Ittok tonearm from England and I'm currently waiting for my Dynavector 10x5 to arrive. Different strokes I guess. You should have an easy sell for that Linn.:thmbsp:

1998 circa LP12, fitted with Lingo, Ekos Mk. II, and Arkiv B. May not be the best but unfailingly musical and I am quite satisfied.

I went to a house to look at some records (answered a cl ad) and saw a Sondek there that looked to be in great shape. They husband and wife said that they hadn't used it in years, we arrived at a $400 price. It's a 1985 Valhalla model with a Basik Plus arm. I found a guy locally (finally) to give it a tuneup and install my v15-IV cart. I want to try it stock for a while, then I'll probably install an RB 300 arm.

Get a new belt and felt mat. YOu did great for 400 bucks. ( that's about a fair price for the sondek in that vintage )

An RB300 is nice.

I went to a house to look at some records (answered a cl ad) and saw a Sondek there that looked to be in great shape. They husband and wife said that they hadn't used it in years, we arrived at a $400 price. It's a 1985 Valhalla model with a Basik Plus arm. I found a guy locally (finally) to give it a tuneup and install my v15-IV cart. I want to try it stock for a while, then I'll probably install an RB 300 arm.

Awesome deal, enjoy it!

2012: Same deck different plinth and a cartridge.
wenge_sondek.jpg

wenge_akiva.jpg

Gone is a bling maple plinth. Replaced with a Wenge. Miyabi/47 is replaced by the Akiva from upstairs.

just bought an lp12 and it arrived today..

loving it already although i feel upgraditis is soon to follow

Back
Top Bottom