How Many Marantz "Model 500" Owners Here.??

Mark R

VNV VVA 228
Subscriber
Marantz made a limited amount of the Model 500. I was lucky to have been able to buy one new back in the day. I'm curious as to any owned by memebrs of this board.

I'd like to compare notes with you about this amp..:scratch2:

I don't own one....:drool: But I am thinking of getting the schematics and building one for myself....:scratch2:

I own one sinds a week or so..........

img1695st7.jpg

jstang said:
I don't own one....:drool: But I am thinking of getting the schematics and building one for myself....:scratch2:

Now that would be a Challange:yes:

SB Marantz said:
I own one sinds a week or so..........

img1695st7.jpg

Yeah... I thought I saw your post on a search. Sweet... I guess it'll take some time for you to evaluate it with different Music Sources. But I'm sure you'll find it Kicks Butt on the low end.

Mine is running 4 Sentry III's..(just the low end 15's) at 4 ohms and seems to be very stable down there. Of course ..That can also be 1 ohm depending on what's running thru the amp. But ..after all these years I've owned it and I'm the original owner..it only craped out once and that was while it was idling. It turned out to be a GP PNP $1.29 transistor on the driver board. It just let go.

It hasn't given me any trouble over the last 20 years

here's a shot of the set up.

livingrooma.jpg

SB Marantz said:
Do you have by any chance a original front cover?

As you can see, mine is not original :thumbsdn:

Can't really tell what's on the front ..??? If you mean in the center where it says "MARANTZ" ..in your pic it looks like that part is correct. Are you refering to what the Marnatz tag is connected too.?? It does look like it's sticking out a bit. Whay don't you post that pic you had before wher it was on the bench being checked out..

As far as having front panel parts I'm sorry to say I have none. I do have a spare VU Meter and some other electronic parts.

Mark R

I took my time to compare the 500 with the others i have and it's clear who's ''king''

1) model 500 (realy balanced sounding, nice tight bass,open but not forward mids, very nice top-end,smooth)

2) 170DC too fat in the low-end,a tad to forward in the mids, further very nice, wide and deep image.

3) 510 (M) allmost the same sound as his smaller brothers like the 250(M)
But slightly softer top-end.

The listening tests were done with a Marantz CD-10 player and modified Klipsch RF-7 speakers.

SB Marantz said:
I took my time to compare the 500 with the others i have and it's clear who's ''king''

1) model 500 (realy balanced sounding, nice tight bass,open but not forward mids, very nice top-end,smooth)

2) 170DC too fat in the low-end,a tad to forward in the mids, further very nice, wide and deep image.

3) 510 (M) allmost the same sound as his smaller brothers like the 250(M)
But slightly softer top-end.

The listening tests were done with a Marantz CD-10 player and modified Klipsch RF-7 speakers.

Very nice.. Now sit back and play some music and enjoy your Marantz 500. That's what I do every week end. Pop in some music..crack open some Alcohol..put my feet up..and turn the Volume up to concert level..:music: :thmbsp:

renaudagnes said:
May be the quest for one can give me a goal for the next ten years.:scratch2:

A great Quest to be on... I've only seen 2 Marantz 500's on ebay in the last 10 years or so. The last one sold for $3500.00. That was about 5 years ago.
So..start your secrete savings account now.:D

Mark R said:
A great Quest to be on... I've only seen 2 Marantz 500's on ebay in the last 10 years or so. The last one sold for $3500.00. That was about 5 years ago.
So..start your secrete savings account now.:D

I know where one is in South Jersey......:D

A month ago one was on Ebay that needed repair....it went for 810$. For some crazy reason I did not want to pay 1000$ for a non working amp.....and looked like it needed a meter.... I kick myself......I kick myself...I k........

jstang said:
I know were one is in South Jersey......:D

A month ago one was on Ebay that needed repair....it went for 810$. For some crazy reason I did not want to pay 1000$ for a non working amp.....and looked like it needed a meter.... I kick myself......I kick myself...I k........

Yeah... that would be me ...:D .. You should kick yourself. Another one could pop up in bad condition and you'd have a parts amp. Most of the electronics could be subbed out or even still available. Who knows for $810.00 it could have needed a $.05 resistor to make it work again.

A few years ago some one was selling new in the box Marantz 500 VU Meters.. I bought 2 of them for spares. They also had 250M Meters that I picked up. You never know when these parts will show up. It's part of the collectors game we play..:thmbsp:

jstang said:

Well I don't have to worry about building one for myself any more..... I just picked one up....:banana: Its waiting on my Ohm Fs to be finished.....

johnk

jstang said:
Well I don't have to worry about building one for myself any more..... I just picked one up....:banana: Its waiting on my Ohm Fs to be finished.....

johnk
Excellent..!!
Did you win the won on Ebay I posted about..???

Don't tell the wife.....:thmbsp: ..... well its better then wasting it on lap-dances.... ( kind of....)..... By the way the seller had posted the same unit for 2200$ on another site. The unit is very clean inside and was serviced.

Ok just openned the cover and took a peek.... As an EE :nerd: with 25 years in the field ( not the audio field ).... their are few things that put me back on my heals.... but for a 35 year old audio device....this thing is outrageous...:yikes:, in a cool way. Usually, I am willing to navigation a piece of audio gear without a manual .... Ah, not this one....:no:

jk

Ok the wife kids were out of the house this afternoon and got the chance to stretch the legs of the 500.... Nice....very nice. The >400 dampening factor really can be heard... It provides for bass definition I have never heard before....You can pick individual notes and harmonics from the bass guitar.... Percussion is very life like...you can pick out a drummer playing with a double bass pedal.... The highs are effortless and very clean....

I am going to think about recapping the driver and amp boards....they are 35 years old.

jk

jstang said:
Ok the wife kids were out of the house this afternoon and got the chance to stretch the legs of the 500.... Nice....very nice. The >400 dampening factor really can be heard... It provides for bass definition I have never heard before....You can pick individual notes and harmonics from the bass guitar.... Percussion is very life like...you can pick out a drummer playing with a double bass pedal.... The highs are effortless and very clean....

I am going to think about recapping the driver and amp boards....they are 35 years old.

jk

The insides are a trip Huh..?? How about them big old Sangamo Cap's in the Power supply..!!!

You can get a reprint service manual on ebay. The one for the 500 comes up all the time. Mine sounds fine and has never been touched. I'm sure the caps are dried out in mine but she's still rocken..:thmbsp: :music:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARANTZ-500-FRO...0QQihZ004QQcategoryZ39783QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is nuts:screwy:.....my wife would put a stake thru my heart if she caught me buying it....should I ? :scratch2: Too bad it does not have a buy it now.... :pity:

( Admins - Please don't move this to $ & Cents.... )

jk

Go for it man.... It's a classic piece..!! It's not going down in value....it's going up.

Besides...your probably the only one that will bid on it as you need it to complete the front panel, not as a spare.:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom