How many members use reel to reel decks here ?

Listening to one of my RT-1020Ls at the moment. I really love the R2R format, for years, it was my favorite, then I kinda shifted over to TTs, now it`s about 50/50....

I recently acquired a few suitcase type RTR's all made by VM one model 700, one model 710, and the last I cant remember its model. But the 710 and the oddball was damaged an no wheres near repairable, they both were pretty hacked up before I got them :(. So I used what parts I could salvage from the 710 to make the 700 look better, and work again. Anyone ever run across a model 700?

I recently acquired a few suitcase type RTR's all made by VM one model 700, one model 710, and the last I cant remember its model. But the 710 and the oddball was damaged an no wheres near repairable, they both were pretty hacked up before I got them :(. So I used what parts I could salvage from the 710 to make the 700 look better, and work again. Anyone ever run across a model 700?

I have not seen one of those units, but good job in getting one up and running :)

Listening to my RT707, circa 1974 homemade reel tape. I wish I had recorded at 7-1/2 IPS, but still not shabby for a 41+ year old BASF LP 35 tape.

I have Teac X-300 I found on Ebay brand new about 5 years ago. I have only used it a few times. Just last week I pulled it out of the closet and set it back up. Hopefully I will start using it.

I have not seen one of those units, but good job in getting one up and running :)

Ive cleaned this one up as good as I can for now. I just need to get a flat belt for it. The power light used a #47 an they don't come in red for 6volt lamps, I did use red nail polish best $1 I spent:music:

y40zVkq.jpg

I have a TEAC 2300SX that I haven't played in a few months. I think I must play some old R&B tapes today. Its callin me.

2300SX and 2340SX in the listening room. Both need grease cleaned up for the pinch roller mechanism. Also an MS-16 w/dbx in the corner but have not used that in 15 years. Still have a lot of 1" tapes many though of the crap formulation that quickly deteriorated.

I have in the basement an A-7010 my brother bought new back in the day and hope to bring that back out but it will likely need some TLC too. I have probably 100 or so tapes dating back to childhood, with some interesting recordings of bands I've been in. I recently transferred an Ampex tape of a school play, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, to mp3 that I hope to post to share with 7th grade classmates.

So yeah, not heavy use but the interest is always there.

A friend just gave me an Akai GX636 so I am new to all this. It came with 5 tape but when I hooked it all up, I found all 5 tapes were empty reels. I had 1 Jim Naborhs tape my dad had but it was all stuck together. So at this point I don't even know what a R2R sounds like.

Picked little beast up today for a song - only 296 hours on the heads. Looks dirty but sounds incredible and transport is smooth as silk. Minor issue to be addressed with the pinch roller, but should be fairly easy to get straight.

I'll get the case cleaned up this weekend - should look at least a bit better than it does now. If anyone out there has a source for some knob caps for the 3 that are missing on the meter bridge, please let me know. I would be interested.

I was listening to a mix of music from Foreigner to Van Halen to Ambrosia when I snapped this pic
IMG_1565 2.JPG

Been using RTR since the late 60's. I have a Teac A-1230 that I bought new back in 72, an Akai GX-370D from 1973, a ReVox A77mk4 from 1978 and a ReVox B77 from 1979.

Been using RTR since the late 60's. I have a Teac A-1230 that I bought new back in 72,

Similar situation here. My oldest brother who lived away gave us a JVC 1224 auto-reverse machine with speakers so mom could listen to tapes he would send her. Back in the 60's mom stayed home to take care of us kids. Lot's of Petula Clark, Streisand and Bacharach!

We wore it out of course, and by the time I entered high school I had picked up a Teac 1230 for $260 from a guy on the OSU campus. Amazingly he threw in about 60 tapes, all cataloged with numbers and paperwork of albums he had recorded. That was awesome at the time for a kid like me and introduced me to Jean Luc Ponty (Imaginary Voyage) and other stuff I never would have heard at home or on the radio. Those were the days...

Last edited:
Listening to my RT707, circa 1974 homemade reel tape. I wish I had recorded at 7-1/2 IPS, but still not shabby for a 41+ year old BASF LP 35 tape.
Yes those old BASF Tapes sound good don't they!So happy I bought over 100 of them a couple of Months back and for pennies on the dollar to boot:)

I love my ReVox A77 2 track. Mostly used for copying from MFSL vinyl so I don't have to get up every 17 minutes to "turn it over." For casual listening enjoyment I have been using 3.75 ips with very nice results - virtually no detectable difference between source and tape - (yes, the most minuscule of differences but, hey, I'm too busy on the couch doing other stuff to be concerned. Recording from Classical FM radio is a slam dunk. I should mention also the new DarkLab reel locks - what an improvement over the stock plastic NAB hubs! :beatnik:
revoxA77p-01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom