1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

How many of you built Heathkits?

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by HiFiCanada, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Dan Reardon

Dan Reardon AK Subscriber Subscriber

I built a Heathkit SW radio around 1959 I was about 8 years old. That thing always seemed to overheat a particular resistor but it was such an easy fix. I remember cutting shipping carton to line parts up in the corrugation. Those were the days.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

Heh, my grandfather did the same thing! He made a whole "workstation" for his projects that way, so he could pick it up in one armful and move it aside so they could have dinner. (He did the work on the kitchen table, since the lighting was brighter and the seat more comfortable, vs. doing it in the basement at his workbench.)

Bill Ferris likes this.
  3. Dirk Willims

Dirk Willims AK Subscriber Subscriber

My Cub Scout troop troop 29 each built a heathkit radio like 300 years ago. Was for a merit badge. Which I do not recall. Haven't seen that radio in fifty years. I do own some pretty cool heathkit equipment, I've purchased over the past few years. Don't know it they were home built, or factory built.

My back bedroom system is a heathkit receiver, pushing Vandersteen c2's. Sounds decent,

Dirk

4. c.coyle

c.coyle Crisis actor Subscriber

My old man taught me how to solder on a little Heathkit SW receiver, maybe '68 or '69. Can't remember the model. When it was finshed, we threw a hunk of wire out the second floor window and I heard "Hier ist die Deutsche Welle." I thought that was magic. I still think it's magic.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  5. maxhifi

maxhifi AK Subscriber Subscriber

I got a catalog right before they quit making them.. just missed the boat.

6. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Built these back in the early 70's. I was in high school. My father bought the kits for his moonlighting repair of CB, SSB and Amateur radio. I built the kits.
    This was the first equipment that I learned how to repair. Dad taught me how to solder, use the test equipment and T-shoot and repair two-way radio. He was a field radio repair instructor at Fort Gordon in Georgia. ie Korean war timeframe.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Iirc, an allband portable comms receiver, transistor tester, and ultrasonic bath.