How many of you guys "keep the lights on" ?

joeinid

Just curious if you turn off your meter lights to preserve them or always keep them on.

Even on my lesser non Mac amps that have that ability I don't do that. Akin to saving your headlight bulbs by not driving your car at night.

I have no choice. My MC 2505 has no switch.

Even on my lesser non Mac amps that have that ability I don't do that. Akin to saving your headlight bulbs by not driving your car at night.

I know a guy who says he is "saving" his high beams for "when he might need them." :idea: As for myself, I like to be able to see as best I can at all times. (I do dim them for oncoming traffic!) :)

The 2505 just had its lamps replaced after 45 years last week and of course they stay on. The others with switches stay on. The way my system is arranged the amps are almost with in reach by my left arm directly to my left. as are the C-34, MR 80 etc.. see photo. The Home theatre, video and other analog stuff is located else where, but as 90% of that stuff is remote controllable, that works for me. The point is the meters are out of my sight if I watching HT or listening to stereo seriously and out of sight to others, but I can easily monitor the outputs when necessary.

Ha!

I know especially with the newer LED lights it's really not an issue.

I have no choice. My MC 2505 has no switch.

I know a guy who says he is "saving" his high beams for "when he might need them." :idea: As for myself, I like to be able to see as best I can at all times. (I do dim them for oncoming traffic!) :)

Something to consider ... some of the meters don't hold up well to constant heat over time ... check out my brown spots ...

mc2205-meters.jpg

That's the gel layers getting toasted over 30 years, and I only had the amp on when listening.
Then again, I did a LOT of listening over the years. ;-}

Chances are most of us will be pushing up daisies before the LEDs will quit regardless of shutting them off when equipment is in use.

Off most of the time...simply because the C2200 is in another room and I don't see it much. Have plenty of replacement bulbs so it wouldn't be an issue in any case. Though as pointed out above the gel will discolour with age. This can be mitigated by small spacers between the meter shroud and the circuit board which improves ventilation.

It really gets hot with the meter bulbs on all the time in my 2505. I hate that. The cover just traps the heat. I remove the bulbs.
There is enough breathing room in my 2105 so I leave the bulbs in.

I leave them on when the system is on, and I leave the system on only a couple days a week. The meters are useful for giving me an approximation of volume output, plus they just look so nice.

Lights on....bulbs blow, replace them.....all good..:thumbsup:

Kev: I have 10 incandescent bulbs in my MC202 which I replaced in 2012. I don't have a workbench that allows efficient replacement of any pars in my gear, and those bulbs are soldered onto several little boards, so it was a tedious PITA to change them. Every time I power up the amp I watch in anticipation of a burned out bulb; I really don't look forward to changing them again. Next time however I'll probably order those long-life bulbs from a member on here. Can't remember his name at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom