How many of you have a Nakamichi CD player?

Do you own a Nakamichi CD player?

• Total voters
My primary CD only players are Nak's. A DRAGON-CD and 1000mb. Both are changers, but in another league compared to the other Music Bank offerings from them. Link to earlier posts on the pair.

Regards,
TB

Very impressive, beautiful decks. Thanks for sharing the links to the photos. I had never seen those before.

I've got an MB 1. I disabled the Musicbank feature as it was unreliable (Paid $10.00@GW) It's a single shot now. (I prefer them anyway.)

I also have a NOS Denon DCD-1520, a Sony ES-9000 SACD, a Blu-Ray 5000ES and a CAL Tercet II. I prefer their sound pretty much in that order. The Nak is fine but is on a BR (SX-1980) system. (Ahhhmmm...I'm running out of places to set up vintage systems...)

I'm sure this is beaten to death regularly but I prefer CD's/players (when discussing digital) and I don't own an "oops where'd my music go? now you see it now it's deleted" mp3 player.

I'm old. Like my habits I'm a die hard "hold it in your hands" guy.

Best to all and Merry Chrismahannakwannzakah!

Last edited:
I don't but a friend was very excited to win one on eBay for $47 last week.

I own Four Nakamichi CD Players

Two of them are MB-2 decks. These are used in my two home theatre systems which have black components.

I also own a CD-2 and a CD-3 deck. These are in storage.

All of these decks have been acquired over the past 8 years from either ebay or Craigslist. Costs have ranged from $30 to $115.

Why do I like these Nakamichi CD decks:

• [*]The sound :music:
    [*]The build quality :thmbsp:
    [*]The convenience of the MusicBank system :yes:

Here are some past threads on these Nakamichi CD decks:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39416

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=817812#post817812

Some little known facts about the Nakamichi Music Bank players and their related products:

• [*]Nakamichi made the CDP1 and CDP2 in silver for the Japanese market
    [*]McIntosh used it for their CD Players
    [*]IBM used it with Computer Servers in the 1990s
    [*]Panasonic used it for Audi "Symphony II" car radios
    from 2001 thru 2005

Attachments

• MB-2_01.jpg
    MB-2_01.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 95
  • CDP3-01.jpg
    CDP3-01.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 97
  • CDP2 (Silver).jpg
    CDP2 (Silver).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 85
What a great combination: h/k and Nakamichi

Yup, CD Player 4
HK430-NAKCD4.jpg

I am a big fan of the h/k "Twin Powered" x30 receiver series from the 1970s and the Nakamichi (Japanese-built) "Music Bank" CD players from the 1990s.

BrianR: I bet that combination sounds great. :music:

What kind of speakers are used with this setup?

How about a sales demo unit?

Just found this on ebay and had to have it-

Sales demo unit with plexi cover and silk-screened labels extolling all the virtues of the wonder of the CD Player 2 music bank. Very nice sound with 2 Burr brown PCM1700 DACS. Seriously considering bypassing the Op Amp outputs and picking straight off the V out. Belts are on order. Plays single CD's fine. The magazine is iffy. Looks like it was dropped and the power switch was broken. Bypassed it with a radio panel SPDT switch out of a C5A Galaxy mounted on the back panel. Lookking for a replacement switch.

picture.php

picture.php

I have Nakamichi CD player 2 and MB1.
Both nice&clean. The CD player 2's sound is good, but the MB1's sound is tooooo goood!
The MB1 has the same DAC as the NAK 1000mb/i

Last edited:
CD Player 4

I just bought one off that site with remote in nice condition. Should be here in a few days. I am very excited about it.

I guess I opened an old thread but just doing some homework here.

anyone have any news to share on there CD4 Players lately?

I have Nak cassette decks, but no Nak CD player.

The one I WANT to get (drool over, covet, dream about, etc...) is the "Dragon CD/DAC" set. It's a really high-end set with transport/controller, power supply and DAC, as well as remote, each in a separate unit. Glossy black paint on heavy, sculpted cases with THICK slabs of rosewood on the sides (more like 2x4s than the usual "boards"), XLR connectors as well as RCAs, etc... Even the remote control has matching wood strips down the sides. One of those extreme "statement" systems that practically screams "high end" at first glance, and has sound to match. The CD equivalent of the Dragon cassette deck and turntables, I guess... but it seems even more over-the-top than the cassette deck, to me.

Unfortunately, they are exceedingly rare. I've read that only 200 sets were produced, and only ever seen one (which was missing the DAC).

Maybe one day(?)...

Why yes I do..

I have a Nakamichi MB-2S and love it. Funny thing is that a lot of people seem to complain about the changer mechanism messing up and mine has NEVER given me a moments grief.

IIRC, there was some trouble when these first came out but most issues seemed to be related to "user error". Back in the day, cd changers were all either carousel(with no play/change feature at that time) or magazine and people weren't used to the design. Cd's never always seemed to get placed correctly in the tray and would shift once in the mechanisim, leading to the notorious jamming issue. My understanding was that Nakamichi "dumbed down" the tray by adding a "shaky tray syndrome" mechanism(that's not the official name, btw, but think of shaking an egg on a nice hot T-Fal pan) to ensure it was correctly in place before closing the door.

If your Nak music bank door closes halfway, then reverses for a second, then closes again, you probably have the shaky tray mechanism installed.

Again, love my Nak. If it's good enough for McIntosh & IBM, it's good enough for me!:thmbsp:

I've had an OMS-1A as my main CDP for a while now. Very basic but solid build quality, sounds good to me and has never given me any issues. I like it - enough that I'm looking into buying a CD Player 4 that popped up for sale nearby.

Nakamichi CDC-4A

I have a Nakamichi CDC-4A CD Changer that I picked up as part of a "package deal". I wasn't particularly interested in it, but I wanted the other gear and it was such a bargain that I figured it was like being paid to take the other gear.

But once I got it home and hooked it up to my secondary system, comprised of a Pioneer SX-828 and a pair of HPM-100s, it sounded pretty good. I liked it well enough that I bought the remote for it via ebay.

It operates very smoothly and sounds pretty good to me!

I have an MB3 that sounds very nice. The only problem is that the tray "needs help" to open. When I push load I have to use my fingernail and sort of 'help' the tray to open at first, then it will open the rest of the way on it's own) It closes just fine with no other issues. I thought that maybe the rails that the tray rides in and out on might need some grease but I don't see any prior grease anywhere so I'm not sure what to do????? Anyone have a suggestion? :dunno:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom