1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

How many of you have a Nakamichi CD player?

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by Sir.Byrd, Dec 5, 2009.

?

Do you own a Nakamichi CD player?

1. Yes

36.9%
  2. No

63.1%
  1. franimal007

franimal007 Member

Try a revox. I have both and the sound out of a revox will amaze you. I have a music bank MB2 which was sent out serviced/updated. My revox was also serviced/upgraded and wow the revox is one of the best! I also would say the a/d/s cd3 is another one!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jrug

jrug New Member

Nakamichi CDC-200 5-Disc Player

I picked up a very clean CDC-200 5-Disc Player at a local swap meet for $15 and am very happy with it. I didn't necessarily want a multi-disc player, but the output is very good, playing through a Marantz 2238B into vintage JBL speakers. I had a minor glitch when my grandson, who likes to press buttons, caused it to jam and not open. I unplugged it, lifted it out of its place, and the discs slipped out over the top of the tray. I took off the cover and saw everything was covered by the tray assembly, but when I plugged it in it cycled and operated normally. Didn't even have to access the belts. Put it back together and ran five cd's through it and it's back in business. Now to repair that Nak tape deck I picked up at an estate sale...:tresbon:

3. Hofy

Hofy Voids Warranties

Yes and No. I picked up an OMS-1A this summer at a garage sale for $10. I gave it to my stepson for his system. Last time I was over there he had yet to hook it up. I think next time I go over and it is still sitting there I will drag it back home.

[​IMG]

4. Greg Bonser

Greg Bonser New Member

nakamichi cd player collection:

oms-7
    oms-7aii
    oms-5
    oms-5a
    oms-1
    cd player-2
    cdp-2a
    mb-2s
    mb-3
    mb-3s

only the cdplayer-2 and the cdp-2a will play a disc, and that is only about 25% of the time...

having to play cds on nad-542, which sounds really good as well. but, only works about 75% of the time.

wish i had more time and/or was better at troubleshooting...

5. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I had an OMS-7 purchased new in the mid 80s, but it was very problematic. Even Nak couldn't fix it properly (including a brand new laser). Ended up storing it for a couple of decades, then sold it to some guy locally for $25. It's a shame, since it actually sounded good...when it decided to work.

6. BigElCat

BigElCat Mmm Hmm Subscriber

I have a CD-4. The CD-4 is not the same as a CDplayer4. It has a completely different case and faceplate, different style. The circuitry is the same in the two models.

This is just interesting trivia. It's a nice looking deck, but the controls aren't well-marked, and the lay-out isn't obvious. It's a good performer, however.

My favorite CDP is a Tascam.

7. Zappafan

Zappafan Member

I have an MB-2 that a guy gave me for free at the end of a garage sale years ago and it's still working fine. Free is always good.

8. Ricktptman

Ricktptman There are two kinds of Music: Good & Bad-Ellington Subscriber

MB-2. In my dedicated vintage room system. I disabled the changer mechanism.

9. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

MB 10 here

10. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

Does a Mcintosh with a Nakamichi drive count? I do still have two cassette units.

11. pskaudio

pskaudio No user serviceable parts inside me... Subscriber

If you're talking about the MCD-7008, yes. CD Player 2 in McIntosh clothes.

Just picked up my 18th CD Player/ MB series. Parents, two friends, cousin and an uncle own one and love them. I'm listening to a CD Player 1 as I type this.

12. mikerm

mikerm AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sorry to resurrect an old thread - I have a CD Player 2 and the belt(s) are shot. Drawer won't open unless you give it a nudge from the back (with the top off). I've replaced lots of CD player belts, but this one looks like a real pain. Does anyone have hints or instructions on how to replace the belts in this thing without fully dismantling the unit? It otherwise works great and sounds amazing.

13. Ricktptman

The MB-2's in Hi-Fi Valhalla. It's just throwing serial error messages now. I don't think (surprisingly) that it's the laser. But after having futzed with it for over fifteen years (it was never trouble free) I picked up a nice Denon DVD-2800 II to put in its place. So far, it's not as needy as the MB-2 was. But it sounded TERRIFIC.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  14. krimney

krimney AK Subscriber Subscriber

As of yesterday I have a CD Player 4. Picked it up on the local buy/sell for 20 bucks. Seems to play fine.

15. pskaudio

pskaudio No user serviceable parts inside me... Subscriber

Take a peek inside and you'll wonder how they could be sold for only $350 back in 1990. Basic Sony optics, but separate supplies for the analog, DAC and digital sections. Lots of Nichicon Muse caps, polypropylene and polystyrene, plus many 1% metal film resistors. The AD1864 was an excellent dual 18 bit DAC along with a co-ax digital out makes for a good player or transport. For twenty bucks... great find.

16. Ricktptman

Update: I replaced the laser in my MB-2 as I found one for reasonable money on the 'bay. The only difference it made was now the portion of the display above "S" (Single Disc) lights up. The drawer works fine but the rest of it's still DOA. It still throws an "Err 1" on the display. I think I'll put it up on Bartertown. Frankly, the Denon 2800 II sounds better. But I don't want the player/parts/components/remote to go to waste.

17. Crazyblocks

Crazyblocks Active Member

Me and my dad have one. I don't have a photo of it right now