How many of you have a Teac A-Series R2R deck?

I have 2, I'm about to dig into.

One is an A1200U - which was in a VERY smoky room for a long time. It seems pretty bound up - but does power on. I suspect this was heavily used. Wood sides.

The other is a A1500 - a portable version, in black metal case with a handle. This one is very clean and shows little sign of use. It runs - seemingly strong for few minutes and the slows suddenly, crawling to a near stop. If I wiggle the speed switch, I can get it to snap back to normal speed again. This one is promising - hopefully a good cleaning and lube will get it back in action.

I run a Teac A-4300 in the main rig.
Regards,
Jim

Another question - what is the preferred operating position for these models?

My little rubber reel retainers do not seem to fit snug enough to work upright.

I might have some tighter ones from another deck - but is there a way to rejuvenate or repair the stock retainers?

I've had an X-10 and a 1000 but ended up keeping this more or less for nostalgic reasons (we had one in HS along with a mini-moog and a quad system that was all tied together). Probably should've kept the 1000, though.
What I get the most out of the 3340 is it's high speed recording.

attachment.php

Attachments

• teac.jpg
    teac.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 62
Did a basic clean up on the A1500, but still having issues.

And now it just stopped.

It will FF but not REW...BUT - if I flip the tape - then it will REW but not FF?!!!

What the heck - how does it know!?

Too bad - this is very clean inside - the REW and FF felt very strong.

It ran ok for about half a tape - but I could still hear some wow to it.

Attachments

• inside01.jpg
    inside01.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 12
  • inside02.jpg
    inside02.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 9
Now digging into the A1200U - only to find the capstan belt in shards.

Anyone want to tell me "it's easier than it looks" to put a new belt on there...?:scratch2:

Another A-4300SX owner. Purchased a wireless remote for it on Ebay that is a nice accessory.

Anyone have an A6600? I've been looking at one, not that I need yet another deck, and wondered what you thought about that one...either that or the A6300.

I have an a-2300s that I bought New .... Long stored and loaned to someone. I resurrected it from storage. Has the sticky Pinch roller problem- they ALL seem to have that. But I got it loose. I always appreciated the build quality and do so even more now. I am using it almost every day. So fascinated am I that I added an A2300SX - why I don't know. I just bought a 1250 ( wanted the reverse ... for Cheap . filthy dirty but it works. Its a bit floppy but I am going to rebelt and unclog the pinch roller ( won't move on it's own at all now. I am going to learn these machines inside and out.
I alkso have an A4300 on the way (cheap) and looking forward to diddling with that. I think am becoming a TEAC Hoarder too.

Hate the Black Knobs on the sx series - so I got some Silver ones like my original Had.
I also have the wired remote controller.

So My list is

A2300S - 2 ( work and bedroom )
1250 0 Auto reverse going into BR for playback
A2300SX
and
A4300

Any tips or sites/ threads dedicated to these machines?

I am afraid of the X models - They are beyond my ability to repair as many have component failures I can't handle

I am learning....

Just got a Teac A-4300SX of Phoenix CL. Traded a turntable for it. Stickie roller arm but other wise seems to work.

attachment.php

Here's my A-2000 that I got last year . I got it off of CL real cheap in almost new condition . Currently using it to record myself on drums . It's a way to monitor my dynamics and tempo . I love it !
Rudy .

Attachments

• P1010052.jpg
    P1010052.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 35
Teac A6600 user

Anyone have an A6600? I've been looking at one, not that I need yet another deck, and wondered what you thought about that one...either that or the A6300.

I bought an A6600 off ebay 7 years ago. I got lucky as it seemed to work just fine. It isn't a very popular model for some reason. Seems rare but when one pops up on eBay there doesn't seem to be much interest in it. It's a big solid deck and I think it pushes 70 lbs. Seems very robust. Handles the tape nicely and sounds very good in my opinion. It's fun to play with. Teac no longer stocks heads or pinch rollers so you may have to hunt down some parts. I am fortunate in that I live a few miles from the Teac west coast factory service center here in LA. I just had them install new heads, (found them in Japan) align clean and adjust it. Works like new now. I probably spent more on it than it's worth but it should last me the next 10 years just fine.

Back
Top Bottom