How many stations?

OvenMaster

Baby, you're my winterblue
Subscriber
I'm curious as to how many stations y'all can pull in on FM in your area... and how many of those do you consider worth your time! In my area (W. New England) I'm able to pull in about 47 with my Yamaha and amplified outdoor rooftop antenna, and I consider 10 of them to be good programming. Is this .212 batting average "low" or "high" compared to what you have available to you?

Tom

47?! Here in my valley in the mountains of central PA, I can get about a dozen. Three of them are worth listening to - the NPR/classical station, an oldies station, and a classic rock station - and there is a student-run station that sometimes plays good stuff but there's no predicting ... Sadly, no jazz at all except one show a week on the NPR station.

Balto-Washington area. There are more stations than I want to count, but there are only a few I like. Those few do however offer a great selection.
NPR- 3hrs of Jazz 4nights per week; Friday 1hr of American Song Book and 3Hrs. of Big Band era music. Sunday New Age- 1hr Hearts of Space 3Hrs Echoes.
2 all classical stations- one with no commercials.
Classic Rock
Oldies
a few more that offer smooth jazz and latin or carrib sounds. More listening than I can get in. I hardly have time for CD listening. All this with a dipole on one receiver or a set of rabbit ears on the other. I guess there are some benefits to a crowded metropolitan location.

The FM band here-NE Tenn- is pretty well saturated. I'd hazard a guess I can get upwards of 50 stations, prolly half that many well, and listen to about 10 or so.-Sandy G.

With just an indoor wire (speaker wire that is) antenna (hanging down and not upward)on my Pioneer TX-7100 I can pull in about 8 or so that I actually can listen to,but I only listen to one and thats our local station that has a variety of easy listening. I'm happy with that.

Thirty-four stations (Denver metro area with my TU-9900 in the basement, in wide mode, muting on, and with a Terk indoor amplified antenna). I'd guess a better antenna setup would get 10 more stations. The .212 batting average of "good programming" is about the same for me.

Here in W Michigan .. half way tween Chi-town and Mo-town .... I have more than I care to count ..... At night the big lake and atmosphere set up some interesting skip ... and interference (yes even with fm line of sight). But there are only two that I listen too ... the local college npr station (Jazz with Bob Parlocha.. great show) and my own ... at 90.9 ... transmitting at all of .25 watts ! Pride ( & scurge) of the neighborhood :naughty: :D :D

Steve

In metro Seattle, I can get 23 with muting on and receiving in stereo using an indoor dipole. I listen to about three of them, but one in particular. I have mountains to the east (5 miles) and south (1.5 miles) that both have broadcasting antennas.

Never counted the # hee in Toronto since I only listen to 3 or 4, either classical or jazz. Would estimate in the bedrood on a folded dipole on the Philips 797, a count of 40+. Never pulled the 6731 upstairs which would be the 1 to use for this count.

In La Mesa, CA (25 mi east of San DIego) I can pull about 23 with a pair of rabbit ears, only 5 worth listening to. NPR plays classical in the evenings, theres another classical station that broadcasts from south of the border, and two jazz stations, one that broadcasts from SD city college, the other is a smooth jazz station. The other is San diego's original rock station. KGB 101.5 has been on the air for almost 30 years!

Brian, I used to live in Niagara, and I had a dipole in the attic, and I was able to get like 50+ on good days. How I miss it! I loved radio from TO and Buffalo in the 80's! (Oh, for a rotatable antenna then!) I lived in New Brunswick before that, and I was lucky to get 5 stations with an amplified dipole. (1 college, 1 CBC stereo, 1 country, 1 adult AC, 1 beautiful music) :yuck:
After reading this thread, I guess I'm really lucky and should stop my complaining about "nothing to listen to" here. Now if I only had stations to my west... :scratch2:
Tom

I once had an outdoor antenna connected to my Marantz 2130 tuner. Pulled in stations from surrounding states. With the Archer indoor antenna, about 10 years ago I was able to receive 79 stations. Used both Wide and Narrow settings.
Ron

Yeah, sitting on the border either at Niagra or a little more easterly would be great. With a decent outdoor antenna possibly get into NYC, Toronto and possibly Montreal. Getting over the mountains into Boston not probably realistic. I do get into Boston on AM with the Philips 797 on a good night though. Here in the city not a lot of room or benefit to load up a really good antenna simply b/c of all the highrises surrounding the development where I live and then the city which is to the south with its scrapers.

The antenna's probably the biggest single factor; I once had one of Radio Shack's high gain VHF antennas on a tall mast hooked up to a Sony tabletop TV (KV-1212) and on 'good' nights I could get video from Boston and Providence, say 250 miles away.

I counted near 30 in the San Fran bay area (CA) once with the SX2000. Worth listening to? Sometimes none of them. Especially in the AM. Damn morning show hosts think were there to listen to them talk. 3 at best at other times, many are foreign language stations.

I’m looking to try again with a good outdoor antenna, but have little hope unless I can find a weak collage station or some such. Not going to get much distance as the bay area is walled off from the rest of CA by mountains.

Yamaha B-2 said:
Tom - Just noticed your new avatar. Did your CA-1010 burn up on you?
:lmao: No no no! Just fooling around with Paint Shop Pro/Animation Shop! I just wondered if anyone would notice! Thanx for caring, though! :thmbsp: It'll be gone shortly:yes:.
Tom

Whew! That's good to hear. Noted for their reliability, unless abused. My Sony STR-V6 suffered the dreaded 'China Syndrome' (coke spilled into the guts) and killed the tuner. But the good ones don't often die on their own.

Here in South FLA I get about 38-40 stations on my tuners. Right now I use a Maranzt 104. I live in a condo so I can only use what they have on the building roof which is a good outdoor antenna shared by a few.

I like Rock, Oldies and Top 40 dance so there are enough of those stations down here, I would say 6-8 stations.

MattFLA

Back
Top Bottom