How many Watts are your main amps?

How many Watts are your main amps rated at?

• less than 10 Watts

Votes: 73 3.7%
  • 11 - 24 Watts

Votes: 80 4.0%
  • 25-49 Watts

Votes: 227 11.4%
  • 50-99 Watts

Votes: 424 21.3%
  • 100-199Watts

Votes: 597 30.1%
  • more than 200 Watts

Votes: 585 29.5%

• Total voters
Let's define "Watts". The probably most realistic measurement for audio purposes is the RMS value of sustained output power before unacceptable distortion sets in. Other factors like intemodulation (IM) and power bandwidth (the frequency response at full power can be much more limited tham at lower power) play a significant part in the true output power of an amplifier. Some amplifiers are rated at "music power" or "program power" or any other not clearly defined ratings, which at best result in vanity Watts. What about the wonderfully unrealistic PMPO, which rates a tiny pocket transistor radio running on 2 AA batteries as having 320 Watts PMPO when the RMS power is around 200 mW at 1 kHZ?
This poll has no significance without specifying details like the way power is to be measured and if it is per channel or combined in multi-channel systems.
My own main amplifier is a SONY producing 110W rms per channel and driving a pair of vintage AVID speakers.

I didn't really aim at having the highest power amps in my system; I just wanted plenty of headroom for my inefficient Magneplanars. But when you add up two Dyna 400s (bi-amped) and my 1200W RMS sub amp, it does seem like a lot of Watts. And yes, all the amps have been tested at full power, though not while connected to speakers!

Yes, plenty of headroom is indeed, what is desirable, it keeps down distortion of transients. However all this is a lot more complex, than it appears to be. Recording studios actually use relatively little headroom, as they need to find a balance between background noise and distortion. This is actually aggravated by digital recording, which unfortunately treats audio signals in the opposite way to the way people hear. In digital recording there is a hard maximum level, which cannot be excerded. For this reason the avreage recording level is at around -12 to -14 dB below the maximum 0 dB. Exceeding this maximum level results in highly disturbing and unpleasant hard "clipping" of the signal. During the mastering process this headroom is further diminished by the use of dynamic compressors and "soft" limiters. Most pop music is released with virtually no headroom, so no transients exist. Those recordings appear to be very loud compared to uncompressed material.
Whereas with analog equipment the harmonic distortion of a signal increases with the level, this is opposite in digital recording. Although the problem of tape hiss and analog (thermal) noise is eliminated, another penomenon plagues digital recording: at very low signal levels there are not enough bits available to reproduce a signal faithfully. This means, that distortion on the low end of the dynamic range increases sharply. Lower levels mean less bits are there to resolve the signal. A resolution of 4 bits sounds rather awful !
Although bass uses up most of the available amplifier power, it also has the lowest transient content, so not much headroom is required. In addition, a bass amplifier does not need to be fast, but it must be tightly coupled to the speakers to prevent flabbyness of the sound.
Power bandwidth is the frequency response of an amplifier at full output power. It is a function of the slew rate, which is a measurement of the time it takes to produce a defined change in output voltage (the rise and fall time of the output voltage), and the higher the output power the larger is the voltage swing, and the faster the amplifier needs to be. This is the reason, why many amplifiers sound "middly" or "nasty" at high volume.
Bi-amping or tri-amping are excellent ways to achieve a high sound quality with relatively inexpensive gear. The audio quality does mainly depend on the quality of the active crossover network and its correct setup. As it is much easier to build low-powered amplifiers with a large a power-bandwidth, and only the mid/high amplifier needs to be fast. Indeed limiting the frequency response of the low-frequency ampilfier(s) helps overall performance by lowering the background noise.
All large-scale PA systems work this way, and in this case even the tweeters have their own amplifiers.

emotiva upa-200 125 aside
Yamaha m-70 200 aside
crown xls1500 1000 bridged for sub duty

Just curious people, What kind of rooms are you big watt guys set up in?
For a small home I've never had the need for over 50 wpc. It gets painful at halfway.

Main Set Up:
I have rotated among:
Pioneer SX-1250 @ 160 x 2 (Currently)
Pioneer SX-950 @ 85 x 2
Pioneer SX-838 @ 50 x 2
Although I am keeping the 1250 here permanently now for obvious reasons.

Excercise Room:
I rotate among:
Kenwood KR-7050 @ 80 x 2
Pioneer SX-850 @ 60 x 2 (Currently)
Sansui 661 @ 30 x 2
Pioneer SX-680 @ 30 x 2
Pioneer SX-636 @ 25 x 2

Family Room:
Sansui 881 @ 60 x 2
Pioneer SX-750 @ 50 x 2
Pioneer SX-780 @ 45 x 2
Pioneer SX-3700 @ 45 x 2 (Currently)

Garage:
Scott 385R @ 80 x 2

I have others, but the wife doesn’t feel that we need any in the bedrooms! Lol!

For a small home I've never had the need for over 50 wpc. It gets painful at halfway.
The basement as well as the Family Room and garage. Smaller rooms I try to stay at or under 60 or so.

Not big enough..But for me. The larger amplifiers sound much more authoritive at low to moderate listening levels. I push more than a couple watts and its painful.

Another upgrade i did a few weeks ago, its an Onkyo Integra A-817XD:
105W+105W (8ohm)
190W+190W (6ohm)
235W+235W (4ohm)
295W+295W (2ohm)

C20 pre
Front Mc2-T1000=450 watts 8ohm 1150watts 2ohm
Back Mc2-T2000=625 watts 8ohm 2100watts 2ohm
Better than being there.

Last edited:
As I'm aging, I'm realizing that bigger isn't better. My Dynaco system puts out 35, sounds nice. Right now I'm listening to a Quick silver integrated tube unit,at 20wpc, "Dire Straights, On Every Street "is sounding pretty dam nice.

Earlier it was "Ray Charles Genius Loves company."

Next up "Elvin Bishop, Tulsa Shuffle" I haven't listened to Elvin on this system, hence its next up.

My David Berning HZ270 will be here Friday, I'm stoked. My search for at least the past year has led to many purchases, I've found on Craig's list, or eBay. Many were pleasant surprises. Mostly SS stuff.

Now that I've " matured" my tastes I'm really enjoying the tube side of things. Also discovering the low power kit, is just pleasant, not to hot, not to cold. I'm sure their's better kit out their. Being a new guy, the journey is very important to me. I love hooking mixed and matched stuff up, to,discover fantastic music, and some not so fantastic stuff.

I don't want to miss any of the highs or lows, I want to,experience it all.

That's what I'm learning.

Dirk Williams

Main system:

Naim NAP 150 @ 50 watts (8 ohm)

Bedroom:

Marantz 2250B @ 50 watts (8 ohm)

Living room:

Creek 4040S2 @ 30 watts (8 ohm)

Miscellaneous:

Emotive UPA-7 @ 110 watts (8 ohm)
Armstrong 621 @ 40 watts (8 ohm)
Harman/Kardon Three-Thirty @ 15 watts (8 ohm)

I like high wattage units. It isn't a necessary thing to have, but for me it is an opportunity to develop your favorite music as fully as your wallet and your confines will allow. Modern times like the present offers opportunities for everyone to enjoy fully amplified music despite your base unit's rating. You can add a subwoofer to your system and it will really broaden your music reproduction while maintaining your current amp's power. There is a lot to be said about the golden era of amps and receivers (IMO from 1976 to roughly 1982), but I will say that today's receivers and amplifiers are more than a match for yesteryear's examples, in that they allow more opportunities for greater range and music power, and can keep the cost of it in a relatively sane limit.

I like high wattage units. It isn't a necessary thing to have, but for me it is an opportunity to develop your favorite music as fully as your wallet and your confines will allow. Modern times like the present offers opportunities for everyone to enjoy fully amplified music despite your base unit's rating. You can add a subwoofer to your system and it will really broaden your music reproduction while maintaining your current amp's power. There is a lot to be said about the golden era of amps and receivers (IMO from 1976 to roughly 1982), but I will say that today's receivers and amplifiers are more than a match for yesteryear's examples, in that they allow more opportunities for greater range and music power, and can keep the cost of it in a relatively sane limit.
:bowdown:

For a small home I've never had the nee, for over 50 wpc. It gets painful at halfway.

Must say that I totally relate to that. If one has such a high ceiling or play outdoors one will need to compensate with Watts. Other wise, I have learned lately with my DIY tweaks and upgrade of my turntable, tonearm and speakers, through which I've gain in sound clarity, detail and dynamic, that low volume doesn't have to sound "tiny" and too loud is not necessary anymore.

Like I explained, since I do play my records less louder than before with even more enjoyment than ever. And my night music sessions are still loud enough for my neighbors to know. So I guess, that like for those with eye sight problems, one tends to bring the news paper closer to the eye in order to read. Where with clear vision, it's just not needed. Or else could it be that some really like it hot ?

My amp is 2x40 Watt BTW.

And it does fill the room (50 meter square and 2 meter high ceiling) with music. That which is the aim of the power amplifier; enough volume to be swollen into music ! With my previous phono configurations (more bassy and muffled (sic) sounding) I needed more volume/power to compensate I understand now the lack of dynamic, clarity and details. Not anymore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom