how much does a smaller krell differ from a hi end sansui 907

quadklipsh

i own a 907 imos limted sansui alpha , that runs neat and tidy and handles different speakers quite well . the krells are in a friends home and cost about four times as much . the power difference is also 85 vs 150 watts .
id like to know if krell is so much superior ,does it really sound as good as it costs compared to a sansui of this calibre.
thanks .

Personally, if you can manage it, I'd take your amp to your friend's place and compare the two amps back-to-back. Let your ears decide. This is a far more meaningful comparison than a bunch of Internet opinions from people who haven't heard both of the amps together. :)

okay , but he runs mezzo utopias with the krell.and i saw the krell clip during the movie once > sansui would have a tough time . maybe it d lose big time as it is also half that power .
construction wise 907 weighs much much more

Listen within the amps capabilities.

85 wpc is so close to 150 there will be little total volume difference. It takes twice as much power to make it 3 dB louder and TEN times (10X) the power to make it twice as loud. So that 85 wpc has a chance especially if you are just listening to differences and not overworking the amps just to show off or crank a movie.

Personally, if you can manage it, I'd take your amp to your friend's place and compare the two amps back-to-back. Let your ears decide. This is a far more meaningful comparison than a bunch of Internet opinions from people who haven't heard both of the amps together. :)

Well said!

IMO i have tested a number of sansui amps from the 70 ties to late 80 ties. only the early 70s sansui models had the golden audio qualities which diminished slowly with the increase of power with commercial audio world. The 80s models are totally out of touch.

Much as I like Sansui, a Krell in good working order will be in a different class, so while my choice between a Sansui and a Krell might not be quite so clear cut, what botrytis says pretty much sums it up IMHO.

once upon a time (12 years ago),there was Sansui 707DR vs Krell KAV 400xi comparison :D

Bottom line,Krell was better in bass section only (and here our AK member specified: "electronic or synthetic bass only")
My 2 cents :)

of course...me neither.
But my story talks about respected AK member and Krell distributor...so I am believer...and biased too :)

Last edited:
10-4 botrytis.

As you were so determined regarding Krells spec,I just wanted to give a different view .

KAV400 spec....200W/8Ω 400W/4Ω RMS...while 750VA transformer inside...no need to comment this.

Although I am biased,am not claiming that Sansui amps are top of the world,but their amps from the end of '80s and 90's are really special, and when you find out the background of the story....even more

The Krell can drive speakers that the Sansui wishes it could. Dan D'Agostino designed the Krell amps to double down, meaning 150 wpc @ 8 ohms, 300 wpc @ 4 ohms, and 600 @ 2 ohms. I would pick the Krell over the Sansui any day of the week. Just a better designed and higher end amp than the Sansui. The Sansui was a mass market amp designed to sell that way and the Krell was a boutque amp designed with better, quality parts.

Much as I like Sansui, a Krell in good working order will be in a different class, so while my choice between a Sansui and a Krell might not be quite so clear cut, what botrytis says pretty much sums it up IMHO.

Another agreement with botrytis--as an owner of four Krell KMA 160 monoblocks--any Sansui couldn't even touch them. They run in pure class A mode and are only rated at 160w each @ 8 ohms but double down (as per factory manual) to 320w @ 4 ohms, 640w @ 2 ohms, 1280W @ 1 ohm, and the protection can be tweaked (again, as per factory manual) to operate below 1 ohm--and each one weighs in at ~90lbs and draws 8A current at idle.

Back
Top Bottom