how much does a smaller krell differ from a hi end sansui 907

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by quadklipsh, Sep 4, 2013.

1. quadklipsh

quadklipsh Well-Known Member

i own a 907 imos limted sansui alpha , that runs neat and tidy and handles different speakers quite well . the krells are in a friends home and cost about four times as much . the power difference is also 85 vs 150 watts .
    id like to know if krell is so much superior ,does it really sound as good as it costs compared to a sansui of this calibre.
    thanks .

2. pete_mac

pete_mac Super Member

Personally, if you can manage it, I'd take your amp to your friend's place and compare the two amps back-to-back. Let your ears decide. This is a far more meaningful comparison than a bunch of Internet opinions from people who haven't heard both of the amps together. :)

stish, boza, bluesky and 1 other person like this.
  3. quadklipsh

okay , but he runs mezzo utopias with the krell.and i saw the krell clip during the movie once > sansui would have a tough time . maybe it d lose big time as it is also half that power .
    construction wise 907 weighs much much more

4. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Listen within the amps capabilities.

85 wpc is so close to 150 there will be little total volume difference. It takes twice as much power to make it 3 dB louder and TEN times (10X) the power to make it twice as loud. So that 85 wpc has a chance especially if you are just listening to differences and not overworking the amps just to show off or crank a movie.

5. riverrat

riverrat professional camper

Well said!

6. Pandovski

Pandovski Super Member

Which Krell model?

I doubt I would pick a Sansui over a Krell amp unless I am limited by budget.

stish likes this.
  7. quadklipsh

it is a krell kav 150 a.

8. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

If it sounds good...it is good!

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  9. transduceren

transduceren New Member

IMO i have tested a number of sansui amps from the 70 ties to late 80 ties. only the early 70s sansui models had the golden audio qualities which diminished slowly with the increase of power with commercial audio world. The 80s models are totally out of touch.

10. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

:yikes: I don't think you'll find much support for that view.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Pepa, chevelosm and skippy124 like this.
  11. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

The Krell can drive speakers that the Sansui wishes it could. Dan D'Agostino designed the Krell amps to double down, meaning 150 wpc @ 8 ohms, 300 wpc @ 4 ohms, and 600 @ 2 ohms. I would pick the Krell over the Sansui any day of the week. Just a better designed and higher end amp than the Sansui. The Sansui was a mass market amp designed to sell that way and the Krell was a boutque amp designed with better, quality parts.

I know around here what I have stated is heresy but you would do yourself a disservice to use the Sansui.

Just remember, your friend clipped the Krell, the Sansui would have done it sooner and probably damaged the speakers.

As far as weight, you have a more modern design against a stamped steel amp (the Sansui). Weight can be a factor but design outweighs that.

12. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Much as I like Sansui, a Krell in good working order will be in a different class, so while my choice between a Sansui and a Krell might not be quite so clear cut, what botrytis says pretty much sums it up IMHO.

stish, savatage1973 and unfairlane like this.
  13. Pepa

Pepa Well-Known Member

once upon a time (12 years ago),there was Sansui 707DR vs Krell KAV 400xi comparison :D

Bottom line,Krell was better in bass section only (and here our AK member specified: "electronic or synthetic bass only")
    My 2 cents :)

14. botrytis

I don't trust comparisons, from this site dealing, with ANY 70's equipment compared to modern equipment. This site has a HUGE bias (that is what this site was built on, though) and if the test wasn't a DBT, I don't trust it. sorry.

stish and Pepa like this.
  15. Pepa

Pepa Well-Known Member

of course...me neither.
    But my story talks about respected AK member and Krell distributor...so I am believer...and biased too :)

16. botrytis

I have been involved in some of these type of comparisons, with other AK members, and they ALWAYS picked the vintage. I did not. I try to be more objective, but as I have said, sighted listening tests are basically biased tests. SO a grain of salt should be taken with them.

17. Pepa

Pepa Well-Known Member

10-4 botrytis.

As you were so determined regarding Krells spec,I just wanted to give a different view .

KAV400 spec....200W/8Ω 400W/4Ω RMS...while 750VA transformer inside...no need to comment this.

Although I am biased,am not claiming that Sansui amps are top of the world,but their amps from the end of '80s and 90's are really special, and when you find out the background of the story....even more

unfairlane likes this.
  18. botrytis

They were mass produced, is all, to me. Special, well, I haven't heard a Sansui I have liked the sound of. Just me.

I have heard the Krell, it is special. Also, it depends on what pre amp is used. Synergy is everything :D

stish and Pepa like this.
  19. Pepa

Pepa Well-Known Member

if you ever have the opportunity,certainly give ear to some of the 907 series :music:

20. botrytis

I have, I found them grainy and unappealing. That is me. Others might like them. The longer I have been in this hobby, them more analytical and the less 'romantic' I have become. When I started, my SX-737 was the best. Now I know, it was just a tank, with mediocre sound (I still have it). A s I said, it just depends on the person.

It doesn't mean I don't appreciate Sansui's, just I base things on what makes my foot tap not based on anything else.