how much does a smaller krell differ from a hi end sansui 907

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by quadklipsh, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Pepa

Pepa Well-Known Member

I dont know with which model you have experienced...but 907 alphas are anything but grainy and unappealing

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

botrytis, that quote from a_retent came from a completely different thread. :confused:

Pepa likes this.
  3. Pepa

Pepa Well-Known Member

didn't even noticed :)

Hyperion likes this.
  4. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

As I said, that IS my opinion of what I heard. Would you like to borrow my ears? Everyone hears things differently. I had a friend who was a Sansui collector. I heard quite a few. Every brand has a specific signature, that is what stands out for me. As I said, everyone has their opinion and is entitled to them.

I didn't mean to degrade this, I am sorry OP. I gave my opinion and will bow out now.

5. savatage1973

savatage1973 Super Member

Another agreement with botrytis--as an owner of four Krell KMA 160 monoblocks--any Sansui couldn't even touch them. They run in pure class A mode and are only rated at 160w each @ 8 ohms but double down (as per factory manual) to 320w @ 4 ohms, 640w @ 2 ohms, 1280W @ 1 ohm, and the protection can be tweaked (again, as per factory manual) to operate below 1 ohm--and each one weighs in at ~90lbs and draws 8A current at idle.

stish likes this.
  6. Pepa

Pepa Well-Known Member

no need for that kind of attitude...I was just curious...and decent

7. Pepa

Pepa Well-Known Member

:beerchug:

8. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

What a lot of people don't look at past wattage and sound is the capability of the amp. When you want take advantage of the advancements in demanding speakers that might have been built in the late 80s, 90s and up you need equipment that can handle them. Well unless you like to watch a puff of blue smoke emanate from a 80s Sansui amp on your rack.

9. JOMARK911

JOMARK911 Super Member

Krells don't have special parts. Just typical. Even caps are typical industrial design , not even audio oriented. As for the power supply capacity to supply endless currents , well they are famous for that. As for the sound quality each to his own. Some like it some don't.
    Also it is not very wise to compare amps with such a different power , and especially such a different price.
    If one wants to compare KAV 150 it has to be done with a 907 MR , which is at the same power. There you go in a straight comparison. At least at 8 ohms.

10. BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAH AK Subscriber Subscriber

11. quadklipsh

quadklipsh Well-Known Member

jomark911.....

If one wants to compare KAV 150 it has to be done with a 907 MR , which is at the same power. There you go in a straight comparison. At least at 8 ohms.....

so who wins here ?:dunno:

12. botrytis

Depends on pre-amp used for the Krell. The pre- is a big deal.

stish likes this.
  13. savatage1973

savatage1973 Super Member

This is certainly true. In a perfect world, all an amplifier should do is take a small signal and bring it up to a large output signal with no "artifacts". But we all know that this is not a "perfect world", and there are "artifacts" introduced into the signal chain at all levels--whether it be source, preamplifier, or amplifier (with inherent pre-driver stages), and then the ability of the speakers to reproduce that signal in a given environment. Many manufacturers "tune" their amps to a "house" or "signature" sound--is it 100% "accurate"--NO--but it is what it is, and it is their "signature".

stish and AUD101 like this.
  14. Hipocrates

Hipocrates AK Subscriber Subscriber

Don't you love the good old X vs Y threads?

15. JOMARK911

JOMARK911 Super Member

I'm SORRY, I thought KAV 150 was a integrated model. My mistake. In this case you can compare KAV150 with lets say B2201. 2201 is at 2x200w/8ohms. Or a BA -F1 which is at 110w/8ohms. Or a BA 3000 at 170w/8ohms.
    Or even with a AU-X1 as a power amp only. There you can draw conclusions.

16. sansui88

sansui88 I'm a Bass Line Junkie

The krell kav 150s transformer only looks tiny compared to a 907 model. Looks boring as hell to. A 907dr should do the job. I use a 707dr daily and have used it on some big pmc bb5 clones and they powered them effortlessly. 707dr to me sounds better than than a b-2301 from the 80's as i have compared and any of the 1970s definition series. The 907dr should give more musical enjoyment instead of what i imagine a cold clinical lifeless but detailed krell amplifier. i have owned a mark levinson 334 beast and that was the same. Full of detail but lifeless.

17. botrytis

There is a huge difference between a regular transformer and toroidal transformers used in modern equipment. Size comparison like that means nothing.

I find Sansui's not very good. That is my choice. I mean I am using a modern integrated because I want to add nothing to my music. People choose what they like and there is nothing wrong with that. There is a reason why Krell, etc have their reputation - good design, good engineering, and a company that still stands behind them.

18. MarZutra

MarZutra Super Member

Personally, I think the only Sansui kit that could match the Krell would be their limited run high end kit like their BA-5000 and their big integrated/big receiver... They did make some very nice kit with relatively low production runs like the majority of the Krell....

I think he had it right... Take your amp and see if you can do a side by side comparison, same speakers...same track... let your ears decide.

stish and botrytis like this.
  19. botrytis

I agree. We can arm chair quarterback all we want but in the end it is the OP's decision.

MarZutra likes this.
  20. JOMARK911

JOMARK911 Super Member

Well actually , the company does not stand behind anyone anymore. Dan D'agostino has been kicked out his own company. KRELL has been sold to Chinese. There is still a KRELL company , but the support is limited.
    All the others you said about reputation etc is still on.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017