How much does servicing a receiver cost....

I take it this is the question.

I fix stuff myself. Some of the prices quoted here are crazy high IMO.

$100 an hour is pretty expensive. I won't get that in a shop and I am a crack mechanic. I surely can't ask it for electronics repairs. Alot of electronic repairs is research, cross referencing and ordering parts. How could you charge 100/hr for that?
I know most mechanic shop rates where i'm at are well over $100.00 some perhaps as high as $150.00 per hour.

Any repair tech who is really charging $100/hr won't be in business too long.
This fellow left here a few years ago but he was also the only repair shop in town so perhaps he felt he could charge whatever he liked? I do know he was in business for close to 20 years before he left, kinda of an odd duck though, nice enough but for example you brought in something he didnt like working on it may well sit for a year or two before getting fixed, now on the other hand if it was a make and model he liked service was quick usually within a month or so.

REGARDS JIM

From my experience, $250-300 ain't gonna get you anything close to a full restore.

From my experience, this is possible..at least from my trusted, experienced and passionate tech who only does "full" restorations, including a recap and a tuner alignment etc. He even provides me with the old parts that are replaced--easily totalling 50+ parts or more on a receiver--and test results. He also listens to the units for hours before he lets me take them home.

I am not a tech (or else I would do my own work) but I can tell you that the proof is in the sound of my restored units. It's one big reason I am addicted to this hobby.

From my experience, this is possible..at least from my trusted, experienced and passionate tech who only does "full" restorations, including a recap and a tuner alignment etc. He even provides me with the old parts that are replaced--easily totalling 50+ parts or more on a receiver--and test results. He also listens to the units for hours before he lets me take them home.

I am not a tech (or else I would do my own work) but I can tell you that the proof is in the sound of my restored units. It's one big reason I am addicted to this hobby.
Many of the restorations I do, I spend $200 on parts alone. So unless I'm giving away my time for $2/hr, $250/$300 is damned unlikely.

Repairs vary considerably depending on "where" you live. If you're in a high cost of living area that's densely populated, be prepared to open up your wallet and take 'everything' out of it.

Where I am there are not many people who can do this work period. And the one or two guys who can are in the State capital and barely make enough to survive repairing old gear. Example, I had a mid-level receiver cleaned, set, and some 'serious' work on a tuner that was missing a part or two which ran me all of $75 (a steal if you ask me because the unit, short of a recap, has been working flawlessly for months).

That same repair closer to Boston? Probably close to $175-200.

Full recap. Better off buying some "newer" gear unless you have the skills to address some of those repairs!

I agree in staying with mid-power receivers. I know these are some of my favorites: HK 430, Pioneer SX-838, Yamaha CR-800, Marantz 2265, etc.

Of course that depends on what you're going to power?

cnh2

Many of the restorations I do, I spend $200 on parts alone. So unless I'm giving away my time for $2/hr, $250/$300 is damned unlikely.

My example of the $250-$300 price was for a mid-line Pioneer receiver. A larger size such as a sx-1050 goes for around $400. I stated my experience with the mid-size receiver since the original post asked about receivers with 30-50 watts. Are we talking about the same calibre of gear? Would a mid-size Pioneer such as a 727 or 838 require $200 in parts? Or are you referring to higher end equipment?

I don't see a lot of guys with 727's or 838's willing to spend that kind of money for a resto. But no, the smaller units don't require nearly as much investment in parts.

I spent over $200 on my TU-717. This included an alignment, getting the dial spot on and a good cleaning. Nothing was replaced.
I had the manual and I do fumble my way through recaps but this is way out of my comfort zone and I don't own the right equipment.
I really enjoy this tuner. Now that I look back it was $200 well spent.
No way I could get a rebuild anything for $200-$300.

As a somewhat newbie of doing this for about eight months, this is what I have discovered. Unless there is a unit that you really want for keeps, buy a unit that is already gone over and redone. I see units in original condition go for an amount that is hardly less than the same unit that is repaired on Ebay.

For example, I see Sansui 9090's that may need work go for over $300-400 or more on there but a full serviced one goes for only a little more. I compare it to classic hotrods.... the restoreres pay big bucks to restore a car and then can't sell it for little more than a stock classic.

The 50 watters are a dime a dozen so don't waste your money fixing one unless it's a keeper you want. You can find them already repaired for a little more and you save the hassle of fixing it.

Good point! Then there is always the debate about whether or not dropping 5-600 or more restoring a Monster Receiver is "really" worth it! Will it really sound like something that performs at a stellar level or just "better" than the original but not as good as something NEW that runs in that 1200-1500+ dollar range.

Since all of this is so subjective and since a lot of old gear has a tendency to roll off the high end a little in order to sound a bit warmer or even tubey you have to decide what it's worth to "you"!

There are those that think some of us vintage guys are "emperor has new clothes" kind of guys. We see and hear things that are "NOT" there. lol

The debate goes on. And it's always possible that someone who thinks a giant Sansui is the bees knees is not playing with a full deck. Or is he/she?

cnh2

Yup

Good point! Then there is always the debate about whether or not dropping 5-600 or more restoring a Monster Receiver is "really" worth it! Will it really sound like something that performs at a stellar level or just "better" than the original but not as good as something NEW that runs in that 1200-1500+ dollar range.
cnh2

Since all of this is so subjective and since a lot of old gear has a tendency to roll off the high end a little in order to sound a bit warmer or even tubey you have to decide what it's worth to "you"!

There are those that think some of us vintage guys are "emperor has new clothes" kind of guys. We see and hear things that are "NOT" there. lol

The debate goes on. And it's always possible that someone who thinks a giant Sansui is the bees knees is not playing with a full deck. Or is he/she?
cnh2[/QUOTE]

Subjective is the word. People are into different things for different reasons and hey, whatever you enjoy. I am one that likes the whole package with vintage. I have newer decent stuff that has it's place....but it doesn't glow, have shimmering wood grain, brushed "silver"......or a story. Same thing the other direction. Can't stream,hook to your computer, manage services,kick out a "Monster" theater experience or.....do it all from a prone position on the couch! Still.....Big Sansui = bee's knees:bat:

cnh2[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Obviously, from reading this thread, prices for repair/restoration can be all over the place. What I consider to be cost prohibitive would be something that I have that needs work and just may be on the higher end of the scale as far as the market goes, but I just don't like it for some reason. The things I cherish are those that I have seen and heard before and only drooled at because of the price back then. Back in the 70s I was in my 20s and in service in Germany. Everyone had a stereo system in our barracks and on weekends you'd hear Creedence and Joplin and Jimi Hendrix and a list of list of others coming out of Revox reel to reel and most always a Dual turntable with an occasional Elac or rarer Thorens. Pioneer, Sansui, and Marantz receivers were everywhere. Most often than not they had the same maker's speaker systems that were offered as a package deal. For me, who always wanted Marantz but couldn't afford it at the time, I "settled" for a Sansui AU666 and TU666 and a pair of AR2x and a Gerrard Zero 100. That all being said, I have 3 used working Marantz receivers now, neither of which have ever been recapped or any in depth servicing done to them. Let me wipe away some tears at the thoughts of the 666s...... Ok... Well, my whole point is recently I got my hands on a NIB Sansui 5000a, how 'bout them apples ? Well, while I am a bit thrilled, I am also heart broken because I am afraid to even plug it in and have given it a warm shelf spot. Now, think about that. I'm satisfied with my little 2016a, and happy with my 2245 and 2265. If ever one of them failed I'd spend twice what I paid for the Sansui to revive it. LOL, and I am too afraid to even look into the inside of this unit to see what output boards are in it, for fear of leaving screwdriver marks on the cover screws. The value, like mentioned before is what YOU place on it. Heck with the market and fears of someone snickering when you let slip how much you paid. Pay what is needed to bring your sweet friend back to life.

Last edited:
I agree with EW on that comment and it does hold true for many in either their acquisition or repair of units spending what is needed to make it right.

Just curious why Jimi needed a last name when Janis and Credence did not?

i think i paid around $300 for my Pioneer sx780. It was my first receiver and I plan on keeping it, I use it almost every day. I think keys for service are :
find someone who has been recommended to you, location (local ideally so you don't have to ship (shipping really drives up the overall price) , they should offer you
some type of warranty (3-6 months at least, in case it takes a dump) , last, find a tech who likes to work on your specific brand ( my guy only did pioneer for the most part)
-if it is done right, it should last for another 30 years... There are lots of folks on this board with tons of skills, if I were to have another receiver really serviced I would try and find someone here.... last, I would not worry about an extra hundred bucks or so.... I would much rather have the person take their time, and do it right, so you don't have to worry about it cr@pping out in a year or two. - just my 2 cents. ec

Too much ...

completed2.jpg

Not enough ... er ... HEP ME!! :rolleyes:

stage-two-teardown.jpg

Depends on what you're working on. Not enough money in the world to make me do THAT again ... I'd rather slam my (insert body part here) in a drawer ... repeatedly.

(Not saying it wasn't worth the effort though ... now that it's done.)

I agree with EW on that comment and it does hold true for many in either their acquisition or repair of units spending what is needed to make it right.

Just curious why Jimi needed a last name when Janis and Credence did not?
You made me think about that, and you know, looking back, there weren't many references to just Jimi. For some reason both names were most always used. As far as Creedence, who wants to type "Clearwater Revival", especially when they've been far too wordy? Heh !

Depends on what you're working on. Not enough money in the world to make me do THAT again ... I'd rather slam my (insert body part here) in a drawer ... repeatedly.

(Not saying it wasn't worth the effort though ... now that it's done.)

YIKES!!!--but been down that road before, muttering "NEVER AGAIN" (amongst other profanity), but that never seems to stick (at least for long). I've picked up some really "cool" stuff, downloaded the service manuals and schematics, and then cracked it open and WTF? Somehow it manages to look much easier on paper than in reality.

I do most of my own work--partly as an educational hobby over the years, and partly because I live in the middle of nowhere, and a "local" tech is a 100 mile drive. I have learned a lot over the years, and have managed not to screw anything up beyond recovery (so far), but I will still pay (or even some would say overpay), to have something near and dear to my heart professionally serviced and warrantied. It is what it is, and if it is a "keeper", it is worth it to me as an investment in my personal sanity, if not my wallet.

A tale of three jobs-

#1 arrives UPS and weighs a ton. It's packed with a boatload of messy styrofoam peanuts that are leaking out of holes in the box. My bad knees scream getting it downstairs to the lab. It was stored in a barn and needs to be "sanitized" and vacuumed to remove insects (live and dead) before touching it without rubber gloves. A smoker owned it- it stinks. It was worked on before and half the screws are missing, along with some circuit board traces. Documentation is non-existent, at least in the known 'verse. Fixed, I have to create completely new packaging, then drag it off to the local shipping office. My secret desire is to return it as the payload of an ICBM.

#2 arrives in perfect shape by FedEx. It's double boxed with bubble wrap, the low adhesion painters tape having folded ends to make it easy to unpack and reuse everything. A copy of the service manual and a detailed description of the problem and any upgrades desired is sitting on top of the unit, along with a nicely printed return shipping label. The unit is clean and unmolested. Still have to hoist it around and get it shipped, but no extra muss and fuss because somebody planned ahead.

#3 is carried in by the owner who places it lovingly on my bench. We chat about what it needs and maybe even go through some disassembly and testing together. When it's done, they come back and we listen to it for a while. They carry it up the stairs and drive away. I go have a beverage.

One of those jobs gets billed to the max. One of them gets a really good deal. One of them gets charged for parts and as little I can possibly manage. There are all manner of variations on the theme, but I find the actual work often pales in comparison to what comes before and after, something people have more control over than they think.

I see units in original condition go for an amount that is hardly less than the same unit that is repaired on Ebay.

For example, I see Sansui 9090's that may need work go for over $300-400 or more on there but a full serviced one goes for only a little more
Sometimes, it's well worth paying a premium for a unit that hasn't been all dicked up by some novice hack.

It will cost less for a reputable tech to do a straightforward diagnosis and repair and/or restoration than it will to have him first sort out what somebody else has tried to outsmart the engineers on.

Ask EW which unit he'd rather work on, bone stock or one that 3 or 4 other kitchen table techs have dicked with and failed.

Back
Top Bottom