How much have you invested in your audio set up? Show photos.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by G7Trader, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Harryconover

Harryconover Well-Known Member

That’s 535 is

2. Apolek

Apolek AK Subscriber Subscriber

Trying not to think about that right now. How much? Probably too much, but the "you only live once" thing keeps biting me in the ass. It's only money, right? :confused:

Roadrash likes this.
  3. dcmfan

dcmfan AK Subscriber Subscriber

"Buy once, cry once." It only hurts when you write the check. After that it's all entertainment!

4. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

Interesting answers. So many avoid divulging, usually with humor: wife might see thread, don't want to know, in denial, and others. But other threads asking basically the same question, give straightforward, detailed, itemized answers, with no joking evasions. Any idea why?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  5. Stereognat

Stereognat AK Subscriber Subscriber

For my final system, I’ll be using JBL studio monitors from Kenrick Sound, NOS McIntosh amplifiers from Audio Classics, and a NIB McIntosh DAC. Total cost will be $40,000+.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  6. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm guessing what you have is either a 1988 528e or a 1989 525i (betting on the E34). No such thing as an '88 525, at least not made for the USA.

Something like 42-years in BMWCCA, including perhaps 3-terms as national president, ten years as Roundel managing editor, and founder of my local chapter. I've actually been a BMWMOA member a bit longer (1971).
    :beerchug:

7. mikeybc

mikeybc Listener

I'm in at around 7k for my 2 channel system, only my speakers and cables were bought used.

8. Harryconover

9. toddalin

toddalin Super Member

OK..., so just yesterday I got an Oppo 95 with the optional streaming stick for $350 lightly used (BIN on ebay). (I've never even seen a used unit offered with the streaming stick.)

This will replace the Yamaha DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-Audio that I paid $1,100 for ~15 years ago, that will go into my retro stereo room. (Yeah SACD is not retro, but I'm not about to give up the sound quality.)

So..., which do you count toward $$$ spent on the system?

10. Harryconover

Yes I tried to send a corrections it’s 535 is 1988 it has 300 k on it now new leather intere and mounded Capet factory part new short shift kit all bilstin sport shocks stiffer bidet mounts fresh drive shaft and “gyebos” slotted abdcdrilled calipers with SS braided lines body was repent by factory authorized shop , how at it has a excellent HiFi it desereves it’s own poster and need to go so later

11. Harryconover

12. Harryconover

So hi Fi wise the original Blowpunk drivers were torn done to a blank frame Beamer parts are often a odd size like the wheel size in my car I digit to say new cast alleys and Yokahamas so the driver I used was a malibdium type and coll . Former is a kapten type with ferofulid cool ing and renascence control tweeter was a bad cone type the new one is a duke hafe dome SEAs there had been two but I got one out of a junk yard that was closing out on there e28 s used a 18 db crossover with Stolen caps . Both of the front kick panel were rebuilt with the same style of drivers then the amps there are those hue go sirrasly nuts on level but I went for very good quality so I used Infinity they were a high Fi high end manufacturing company that made a car amp too I use the four channel 250 watt type it’s mounted under the back seat there is also a one farrad stiffanig cap for supply this has separated 8gage direct to the battery
    The amp has a built in 18 db crossover but I like the sound of 24 db so there is a separate frist in the signal Crain the subwoofer is also a Infinity but it’s there self powered Servo type it’s ment to be in the trunk but I have mine right behind the drivers seat oh I for got to say that I have had three good hifis stolen and I wanted this to stay so all this is stock looking ,But a good head Jap head unit is pretty overuse the stock is Bloupunt and they are exspceve and suck so I used a Dual it’s made in korea but was designed in Germany it’s looks Germen
    And is good quality

13. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for the description.

Hate to tell you but neither your head-unit or the original speakers were Blaupunkt. Speakers were likely ITT, especially if you had the hi-fi sound option with the two-ways on the rear deck. Head units were normally either Alpine or Pioneer sourced, depending on which one you had. The "magic-slot" model was the worst. I've had several (and still have one) '87-'88 535is sticks. Great cars. My '87 has full Dinan suspension with Bilsteins, and M5 brakes. Mine now has a Sony CD in-place of the original with Polk MOMOs in the front speaker holes. No TRX for me, instead E39 16-inch BBS wheels with centering rings.

Now we're WAAAAY off topic!

14. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Because some like me think it's rude, if you where in my house asking what things cost I'd probably show you the door.

I never really seen other threads asking for members to price their system.

I have seen members brag about how cheap they got something, like it's a badge of honor or something, kinda weird if you ask me. I have posted things that I was happy to get one way or another just to show what I'm doing, then to have members ask me what I paid, like that's an obligation to the post. I buy things I need or want for my system and don't feel the need to post threads here every time I spent a couple bucks on something and tell the world about it. If it's a unique piece I'll do a thread purely for the equipment and not any badge of honor.

BMWCCA, Stereognat and dosmalo like this.
  15. dosmalo

dosmalo T-Totaled Subscriber

I've said this before and I'll say it again: "I've spent a whole lot more on a whole lot less."
    Not that I don't do my due diligence, but if I like it I'm probably going to buy it - and keep it.

16. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Glad we're not getting asked how much we spend on records, I know that for me has surpassed the equipment ten fold.

17. dosmalo

dosmalo T-Totaled Subscriber

Yeah, I pay premiums for MoFis and Half Speed pressings in M or NM condition.
    They ARE that good!

18. Dave R

Dave R Active Member

Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray/dvd player
    Denon AVR888 HT receiver
    SE tube amp (diy/kit)
    SEAS Thor cherry cabs (diy/kit)
    2-way bookshelf (diy)
    Anarchy TH subs (diy/kit) (+minidsp+plate amps)
    Sennheiser HD600 headphones

25+ years of building/tweaking/changing/putting system together.

Personal value -- (mostly) irreplaceable :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 7:34 PM
    Stereognat likes this.
  19. Stereognat

Stereognat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah, I changed over to a digital system mainly because the entire process of buying records and cleaning them was getting too expensive :whip:. But to be honest, I’d rather have a digital system for various reasons anyway.

My negatives:

- Buying the same album about 3-5 times to get the most perfect copy (no popping).
    - Buying a record cleaning machine that cleans the record.
    - Buying replacement felt for the wand.
    - Buying record sleeves and dust covers for the album.
    - Buying a brush that not only cleans dust off of the record after each play, but doesn't leave scratch marks.
    - Buying wipes to clean the albums front, back, inside, and seams.
    - Buying storage for the records.
    - Spending lots of money on a good turntable, cartridge, and tonearm.
    - Replacing the needle before it damages your records.
    - Making sure the tonearm and cartridge is set up properly.
    - When the needle gets closer to the center of the record, the sound becomes more compressed.
    - The sound deteriorates after each play (it's a flawed medium).
    - Everything is extremely fragile.
    - The entire process is like a ritual (conditions must be right).
    - Takes too long to play each song from each record.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    BMWCCA likes this.
  20. dcmfan

dcmfan AK Subscriber Subscriber

Some of those things are part of the appeal of vinyl for me! I'm not being critical, just recognizing that we all chase different parts of the hobby to find the fun. Same applies to how much we spend on gear and why we replace one thing with another.

Agree, but if someone was asking "So if I wanted to get sound like this in my house, what would I be looking to spend?" that would be different.

Ain't that the truth!

My favorite quote on cost of gear/recordings is this: "Yeah, it's a lot of money for a stereo, but it's pretty cheap for a time machine."