How much is a box worth?

SaturationPt

Big Woofer Club
Subscriber
I'm one of those, who saves boxes, saves stickers and tags, ... have receipts for most of my stuff regardless of age (if I can find those).

So what is a box really worth? Is it for the value of saying "I have the original box" which I've never found anybody asking about when they see my gear, ... or for the convenience of storage and shipping?

I see things on evilbay advertised with the boxes and without, not sure the boxes get a premium even on collectible vintage gear. None of the equipment that I've sold with original boxes and documents seemed to get more than "wow, that's cool".

I would say the value to me would be the item would be packed properly with the original packing materials and then placed into another box for shipping. Esp. with turntables.

I agree with superjojo. In terms of actual cash value in '85 I got $50 off a $1000 VCR (yes that's not a typo it was a JVC HR5000U) from Circuit City because they lost the box. Last year I bought a custom shipping carton for our iMac desktop computer. I think it was $75.

For some collectors, the original box worth a lot because it is rare.

I'm one of those, who saves boxes, saves stickers and tags, ... have receipts for most of my stuff regardless of age (if I can find those).

So what is a box really worth? Is it for the value of saying "I have the original box" which I've never found anybody asking about when they see my gear, ... or for the convenience of storage and shipping?

I see things on evilbay advertised with the boxes and without, not sure the boxes get a premium even on collectible vintage gear. None of the equipment that I've sold with original boxes and documents seemed to get more than "wow, that's cool".

It depends, but IME all the original packing material makes something worth 10 to 15% more. But again IME, only when that thing is being shipped. If it's a local sale, I don't care. And further, the box without all the Styrofoam inserts is worthless. This isn't a Star Wars figure.

There has always been a stratifying of the top end of collectible items. It has taken different form in different collectibles, but with audio gear it includes all the accessories. If your packaging is a bit beat up the premium may not be great (like a receiver with or without a cabinet). But if the packaging is pristine that is another story.

For a certain type of collector, if you have a "mint' or "museum quality" item, the way to further enhance the value (and make your item better than anyone else who has an equivalent condition unit) is to also have all the boxes, all the foam packing, all the cardboard, all the manuals, and even the warranty card. If you have the selling materials (brochures, etc.) that is even better. These accessories need to be in the same condition as the actual audio component.

For desirable audio items, if all the packaging is clean and perfect, I have seen prices increase by as much as $100 or 25%, whichever is greater. So a $200 item can get up to $300, and a $2,000 item can get to $2,500. People seem willing to pay that premium for the perception of barely used, or in some circumstances, NOS.

It makes a huge difference if we're talking vintage video games. Original box and manuals can take a $50 cart up to $200..

I've paid more for boxed items, because I know it can be shipped safely, stored safely at my end, is more likely to come from a different class of household (ie, they cared about their expensive purchases) and, if rare, it adds to the value down the track.

I have had people tell me they had the box after we'd already done a deal and that just made the deal even better. :)

For me it adds nothing. I couldn't care less if the box is there. But I buy to use, not collect.

the boxes well some boxes are expensive . it is sort of the complete deal then . bonus is the manual . to some people it feels like opening it first time it was ever opened . may have always wanted one but never afforded it .
another thing the box gives the illusion of being looked after . maybe it was ..

Like restorer-john mentioned, to me there's a PERCEPTION that the gear may have been better cared for or less abused.
They cared enough to keep the box and packaging all these years so perhaps they just take better care of their stuff in general.
If shipping having and using the original materials can give some peace of mind that the item has a better chance of arriving undamaged.
But then again, original boxes that are beat up or appear to have been exposed to water in a basement do not add anything in my mind.
For a completist the packaging may be very important.

Some vintage toys are an example where the original packaging does add value as most people/kids unwrap a toy and throw away the packaging first thing.

I've paid more for boxed items, because I know it can be shipped safely, stored safely at my end, is more likely to come from a different class of household (ie, they cared about their expensive purchases) and, if rare, it adds to the value down the track.

I have had people tell me they had the box after we'd already done a deal and that just made the deal even better. :)

I did that with my SSW-212, guy came to pick it up and I had the box, manuals, and original paperwork ready for him, he seemed pretty happy. He is an ebay seller of Infinity gear however, ...

This is exactly it for me as well. I have absolutely no problem paying a premium for gear that has been well taken care of especially from the original owner. I can't buy it new anymore so I go for the next best thing. If someone saved the box and packing material chances are they were stable and cared for the item along with wanting to be able to move it safely if need be.
I also don't like to stack my gear when not in use so having the original boxes makes it much easier to preserve the condition.

FYI, wheel boxes (for cars) make great storage boxes. They are the proper shape to fit deep units and are large enough to be able to pad properly. These are what I use for things without the original packing materials.

There has always been a stratifying of the top end of collectible items. It has taken different form in different collectibles, but with audio gear it includes all the accessories. If your packaging is a bit beat up the premium may not be great (like a receiver with or without a cabinet). But if the packaging is pristine that is another story.

For a certain type of collector, if you have a "mint' or "museum quality" item, the way to further enhance the value (and make your item better than anyone else who has an equivalent condition unit) is to also have all the boxes, all the foam packing, all the cardboard, all the manuals, and even the warranty card. If you have the selling materials (brochures, etc.) that is even better. These accessories need to be in the same condition as the actual audio component.

For desirable audio items, if all the packaging is clean and perfect, I have seen prices increase by as much as $100 or 25%, whichever is greater. So a $200 item can get up to $300, and a $2,000 item can get to $2,500. People seem willing to pay that premium for the perception of barely used, or in some circumstances, NOS.

I think you hit it there with "museum quality". If an item is legendary, rare and of exceptional quality like the Yamaha Centennial components or a Fisher X-1000 tube amp then the box and all the packing material would absolutely make a difference in the price regardless of if it's being shipped or not. But for something like a B&K Reference 50, the box is a nice plus, but if I'm picking it up across town, then "meh".

I recently had to ship my Outlaw RR2150 back to them for a factory update. My box was long gone, but for $30 they sent me a form-fitting shipping container. When I sold the Outlaw later on (an action I now regret) I added that to the price.

I tend to think an original box for highly desirable stuff is in the $100 value range.
Maybe not as a separate item, but as an add on to the package.
I have some that I would not accept $100 for.
Pioneer SX-1250 and Marantz 2325 (with the shipping box).

I have had people ask if I had the original box when I offer nice rare vintage stuff for sale at premium prices.

Vintage gear with the box and packing and paperwork does bring better prices so there is some value.

It just depends on the item.

The original box and packaging are vital for shipping a turntable, and having it arrive safely. Other boxes can be more readily replaced, but not turntable packaging, because of the combination of delicate and heavy.

The box thing makes sense for packing. beyond packing and "completeness" It's marketing that banks on the fact that to some folks it means a better class of owner, creates the perception for them that the unit has been pampered, well cared for and that much closer to "Mint" (an overused hype word, most often promoted by the same people who say " if you're looking at this , you already know. how rare and sought after it is...", yeah , I also know that your price is probably way over market value, just by that line alone.)

I'm Not knocking anyone who is into the who box thing . I'm just not a subscriber, but I'll gladly play along when I have a box to something I'm selling because I know that there are folks who put value on it even if I don't. but in my listings, it really only represents factory shipping materials are available. or maybe a bit of completeness which shouldn't add any value for folks but for some, it does.

I'm sure as hell not going to convince them otherwise. It's their money, let them give it to me if they want. :) If that's what's going get them to pull the trigger and commit to the purchase, then it's all good.

"ORIGINAL BOX" - let the warm and fuzzies consume you...

Last edited:
Just saying, I've had original shipping boxes that buyers demanded I put into a bigger shipping box so the original box was protected while in transit.

Vintage Hi-fi are also collectibles now, and just like for any collectibles the presence of the original box (and/or papers,manual,documentation,accessories...) is a big selling PLUS and will allways push the value up. An original well-preserved (empty) box for classics like a Marantz 7C or a Mac 275 will easily sell for 100$ or more.
Radio-collectors also like to display their radios against (or top of) the original box and empty boxes are selling well on the bay. Just an exemple i've found (price is for an EMPTY box):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Origin...381848&hash=item2387e32dc4:g:lYYAAOSw14xWP5KC

Do you know what kind of a person saves boxes? The kind that takes care of their stuff. I'd rather buy a used item from someone who takes care of their stuff.
Thanks for taking care of your stuff.

Back
Top Bottom