How much should I pay for a Technics SL 1600 MKII or SL 1700 MKII?

Sub 37

What's the value of an SL 1700 MKII or SL 1600 MKII in good condition? I've been looking for one for a while, but I'm not sure what they're worth

Looking to buy one to use, maybe 350 is a fair price for one in good condition. Sure there are cheap ones out there and many here on AK believe that is the market price, no that is their market price. Some have sold for more, too. but as things stand today, 350 would be a number the buyer and seller might agree on for the transfer.

Make sure the arm traverses freely and all cue and return functions are good. May require playing a complete side to verify. Why? There is a ridiculous nylon gear that cracks with age and turns the table into a pretty door stop.

1700 mk2 is my favorite table i have 2, $350 sounds about right but could be more with a great cartridge or if it is pristine condition

Make sure the arm traverses freely and all cue and return functions are good. May require playing a complete side to verify. Why? There is a ridiculous nylon gear that cracks with age and turns the table into a pretty door stop.
AK has part number and info of a work around to replace the gear.

Actually it is a plastic gear that I was given by a member here that has done the repair on his table, now gone, and had purchased two gears. I don't think I will need the gear anytime soon as the last time my table was open, I JB Welded a washer to the gear to prevent its explosion or disintegration.

I paid $90 total for a 1700 ll at public auction with nasty dust cover
Brand new in box shure m91ed hi-track in a lot next to it for $10

Wet sanding and power buffing later the cover looks new

The guys around me thought i paid too much

Think i had to replace the auto return belt ? The arm wouldnt raise or lower or something
Took a couple hours maybe fiddling about with various fixes from superglued rubber band to i believe an o-ring maybe slightly smaller than suggested

Going rate was about 2-250 on ebay

Works perfectly

I paid $90 total for a 1700 ll at public auction with nasty dust cover

Going rate was about 2-250 on ebay
Works perfectly

When was this, last couple weeks? TTs have gone up in value a c-note in the last year and more in the last two years when there was a low price on them, generally. You did well no matter what those other guys thought. You could have flipped (their goal probably) or enjoyed the table which is a 350 value today.

I paid $170 for an SL-1600 II, Dynaco sand IA, blown Hafler, Yamaha tuner. Most that contacted the seller just wanted the tuner which I mistakenly thought was a T-1000, meh. I said, I'll take it all since I wanted the table and surprise the tuner was a TX-1000, in the main rig, it sounds great. The TT had a nice B&O MMC on it, too that sounded good. Moved the Dynaco and Hafler along to happy new owners, leaving only a few dollars in the remaining gear. This was a few years ago before the tables went up so much.

Last edited:
fc941d950dc42248e6557944bcb95823.jpg

Actually it is a plastic gear that I was given by a member here that has done the repair on his table, now gone, and had purchased two gears. I don't think I will need the gear anytime soon as the last time my table was open, I JB Welded a washer to the gear to prevent its explosion or disintegration.

Could those gears be made with a 3D printer?

probably, just a white plastic gear. but if the gear is available for purchase and that is how the one I got was obtained by the guy that gave it to me...someone needs to buy a pile of em and sell em like they were printed.

That is a nice unit and for about a c-note less american a real deal. Looks great and has a cartridge that has real styli available however far up the line one wants to go.

Back
Top Bottom