how much turntable will $100 buy me?

jpciii

I like pizza
I currently have a black plastic crappy Sony (it was a gift from a non-audio person) from best buy or something. My cassettes sound better than this turntable. I would love to have a nice TT, but I can't spend more than $100. Is this enough bread to get something that sounds nice and would be reliable for a few years? I don't want something that needs a lot of attention, maintenance, or tweaking... just want to play records and have them sound as nice as everyone says vinyl is supposed to sound. Pretty much a turntable noob here, so anything you tell me (about turntables, that is :D ) I will learn from. Thanks.

Don't want something that needs a lot of attention?

Buy a Technics SL D2 or similar direct drive in good condition for $20 to $40 and spend the rest on a new cartridge.

I would think for $100 somebody here should be able to fix you up with a number of nice TT's probably for less.

I have four TT's right now. Marantz as my back up to my newly purchased Dual 1229q A pioneer direct drive I haven't tested but seems to work. And last a Thorens 125 MkII that needs TLC. But I'm not looking to sell them sorry. That and if I was I'm not too sure how to ship one of them. I've heard horror stories here about TT's getting damaged during shipping. So whatever you do be careful who you buy from.
Maybe run an ad in the local paper for old stereo equipment. Seems like everytime someone answers my ads they usually have a TT to go with. And most of the time they just need a little TLC. Just a thought.
Cheers
Army

100 bucks can buy you a table that will dust most ceedee players

Not Sure but,

One of these ought to be a pretty good basic and inexpensive table

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64625&item=5737289107&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I used to have a PL 10 that was a very nice sounding little table. I really like these. I contacted this seller , vuchco, once about the tables he listed. He had auctions for about three PL 12's going at one time, and they all looked just the same. He replied that he searched for these models and restored each one as well as possible, and that indeed he did have 3 of them at that time. All serviced, adjusted, new Shure cart mounted, and ready to go.

They usually go for around $150 or so I believe. Seems like a good seller, but I haven't bought anything from him. If I was looking for an inexpensive vinyl rig, I'd feel pretty good about this..but again, I can't say for sure. Hope you find something you like. My turntable has retired my Cd player to the bedroom headphone system! Vinyl is sWeeett :)

Got three from Gonzo over on Audioaylum

I have a Phillips 312 ??? and a BIC 920 turntable. I need to take a look at them. They were free and will not be staying around here. I am a Dual collector. Give me some time to look over them. Pay the frieght and one could be yours. The Phillips looks like it has possibilites. Got a lot on the table literally. Need to go through some receivers for Christmas and for a co-worker.

Email me if you are interested.....Eric :thmbsp:

Funny I just so happen to have that exact table for sale :). I have several others as well.

You really can't go wrong by picking up a pre-1980 direct drive turntable (no belts!) and then ordering a new cartridge (and headshell, if necessary) off the 'net.

Before 1980, pretty much ALL direct drive tables were at the upper half of quality and price in the manufacturer's lineups, and were built substantially.

I recently picked up a Pioneer PL55DX that's built like a brick privvy, for $20 plus shipping on Ebay. It's in fantastic condition.

Watch Ebay, or better yet, hit the thrift stores.

$100 will get you a decent setup.

Thorens TD150's are a cheap as chips and are great to use. With suitable modifications they can rival T/Ts in the $$$$ range. Pioneer PL12's are similar and can be bought for next to nothing on the 'Bay.

One thing you do need to be carefull of is the shipping of said turntable. Sometimes shipping will be more than the turntable itself and can be fraught with all sorts of dangers if not properly packed.

If there are other AK'ers in your area see what they can offer you. You'll pretty much be guaranteed to get something more than suitable for your needs and the price will be right too. Won't get ripped off by greedy eBayers.

twintwelve1484 said:
You really can't go wrong by picking up a pre-1980 direct drive turntable (no belts!) and then ordering a new cartridge (and headshell, if necessary) off the 'net.

Before 1980, pretty much ALL direct drive tables were at the upper half of quality and price in the manufacturer's lineups, and were built substantially.

I recently picked up a Pioneer PL55DX that's built like a brick privvy, for $20 plus shipping on Ebay. It's in fantastic condition.

Watch Ebay, or better yet, hit the thrift stores.

Good advice but beware of machines that look as if they have been abused. Once the bearings start to wear on a DD turntable the motor noise will be transmitted along with sound and it's pretty much impossible to get rid of.

Personally I'd stay away from Technics SL1200's etc., if they have been used in a pair by bedroom DJ's. Singly they are probably ok and are more than adequate soundwise.

Trawlerman said:
Good advice but beware of machines that look as if they have been abused. Once the bearings start to wear on a DD turntable the motor noise will be transmitted along with sound and it's pretty much impossible to get rid of.

Personally I'd stay away from Technics SL1200's etc., if they have been used in a pair by bedroom DJ's. Singly they are probably ok and are more than adequate soundwise.

The good thing about SL1200mk2 - mk5 is that spare parts are available at very reasonable prices. I got a brand new bearing for my sl1200mk2 for $27 from KABusa.com.

On the other hand, I believe used SL1200s usually go for more than $100.

- Harald

Check out this TOTL Sony from 1979. I used one for many years to great effect. And it comes with a killer cartridge. Put in a new stylus and you'll have a terrific combo that will give you years of satisfaction. I used this exact combination from 1979 to 1989 and then sold to a friend who still uses it to this date. This thing has a carbon fiber tonearm, which by itself would cost well over $1K today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5737876307&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

could always go with a Stanton STR8-20. Seen 'em new in the US for $99, and that includes a cart!

Hate to admit it but i got a pair of Stanton STR8-60's that ain't half way bad for the money

This is one thing I'll never understand, and not just with TT's, but everything - why are some brands overlooked automatically based on their label? I've got a Str8-20 sitting in the place of Thorens TD166mk2 that I recently sold, and I have to admit it ain't bad. Not as good as the Thorens or a good Rega, but for the money, it allows the tunes to continue without emptying the wallet. And yes, sounds beter than a cd/dvd player at the same money. :banana:

I'm thinking of purchasing the str8-30 , i mean how different can this table be from a "vintage" turntable. I'm only going to use it to play vinyls !

vintage tables will give you a more robust sound that the Stanton. But, for the money, if you're just want to spin tunes, the STR8's are fantastic. Might want to upgrade the cart though, and the cables. My 2 cents. ;)

Al I have to say to JPCiii is, find a seller on THIS forum. If you only have $100, do NOT chance it on an eBayer, regardless of how good their feedback is. There are a ton of guys on here who will fer sure be able to hook you up with a better than decent TT for $100.

TRUST US! I now hunt for all of my stuff HERE and only go to eBay for the more frivolous crap. I dont want my TT to arrive in 1000 pieces.

Back
Top Bottom