How often do you hit the thrift store?

How often do you go shopping at the thrift store?

• More than once a day

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Once a day

Votes: 22 5.2%
  • Every other day

Votes: 47 11.2%
  • Once a week

Votes: 132 31.4%
  • Once every two weeks

Votes: 61 14.5%
  • Once a month

Votes: 93 22.1%
  • Never

Votes: 56 13.3%

• Total voters
I use to hit my local one as many times a day as I could. I live so close to it I bike to it. It's were I got the Trek 1200 I ride to it. Many bike finds there.
The place use to be ****ing amazing. Now your lucky of you find something worth a damn every three months.

I've found it pays to ask if they have more than what is on display. The back room of one local charity based thrift store yielded still sealed lps by Elvis, The Crests and Buddy Knox, plus some great jazz they didn't bother putting out since no one seemed interested! They were thrilled that I would take this stuff off their back room shelf for less than a buck each.
This use to be how it worked. now they are looking everything up. Everything.

I used to go several times a week to different stores a couple of years ago. Now, not so much due to several reasons:
1. way to many flippers stalking the place. If you're not there as it comes out, you're not getting it.
2. not much worth getting anymore. 99% of the vinyl is garbage. Quality electronics? forget it!
3. I have way too much gear as it is. I need to sell some stuff, not buy more!

Rarely, space is now at a premium for bargains and rescues, combined with recent lack of cooperation on salvage pieces.

Its to bad that we have all ruined the great deals. myself included. Obviously we all use the internet. Anytime somebody thinks they have something special they google it. and usally the price goes up. The thrift store i go to has alot of neat stuff. I have picked up alot of nice components, but have paid non thrift store prices. The owner is good about letting me have first crack, but sometimes his price is too high. A couple days ago he took me in the back to show me something he said was special, and it was special. He had a black face plate Sansui 890 with some missing knobs and it had house paint overspray all over it, he wanted 400 dollars and he was unsure of the condition, so i passed. I still hold out hope that someday i will find the SX- 1980 sitting tucked away in the back for 15 dollars. I have found that some of the best deals are at churches, they upgrade their equipment quite often. If the church is big then they usally use big power so everyone can hear. A small donation is all that is needed to walk out the door with great deals.

Not as often as I used to since the 4 Goodwills in town now pull good cameras and electronics for sale on their website and all of the other thrifts I used to visit are either closed or no longer get the items that interest me.

Each weekend I'll hit a few; cycling around to give them time to restock between strikes.

It's weird now that I'm actually getting selective and thinking "Better check AudioKarma before buying."

Never. Pickings are so slim as from little to none. Guess people in this region just pass on to pawns, friends/relatives or just toss?

Q

Not so much a thrift store, but I live bu two major flea markets. I visit them every day they're open. Found some wonderful gear there. For next to nothing.

Would have answered 2x/wk, but it's rare that I find anything except maybe dollar CD's. Good equipment shows up very rarely and at some point I've acquired a level of equipment that satisfies my needs (vs. wants:idea:) and in any case like a lot here, have more stuff than I need.

Actual answer is too often.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
About once a month me and my girlfriend go out and check 4 to 5 stores but in most of them it takes months for anything new to show up.
I just go about for vinyl and she for vhs tapes and toys.

In Belgium its hard to come by those cool finds like you guys all do, everything second hand here is expensive. People want the absolute max amount of bucks for their old stuff.

In the Netherlands its a bit different and scored a few nice things over a period of 5 years like most of my akai stuff and a few rare lp's

Nothing beats GW and SA... Many goodies over the yrs, including:
Teac A-707
Technics SA-206
Radio Shack/RCA 40-5022
DBX 3x2 LS plus
Sansui 25 inch TV
Panasonic PV-8400
HP 1702 17" monitor
Digital Stream 15-150 DTV box
Panasonic CT-32G8G
Panasonic PV-7451
Onyko DX-710
Sony TC-FX44
Protech CD-3
Sharp CP-DK255
Mitsubishi HS-U530
Mitsubishi HS-U446
Yamaha RX-V690
Sony STR DE985
vintage pair of Odyssey Studio Monitors
Realistic MC-500
and the best; B&W DM 602 S3

All pieces were $2.00 to $20.00

Last edited:
I voted "Once a month" but it's really more like once every 3-6 months. They aren't getting new content here on Vancouver Island as often as they used to.

Weekly. CDs and records are so cheap. I'm also looking for 78s, and the op shops (as we call them) are the main place to acquire them.

Although there is very little in them anymore I still go more than once a day. I have one that's a 9 minute bike ride from home.
I was in twice today. Had some great record finds last week. There was hardly anything all of this past Fall.
The place I found the Downes/Du Pre record I had not found a damn thing in since August. (I don't just look for records, anything I can make a buck on)
I understand that work, and proximity can be a problem, and sure, you can find things if you don't go often, but it's really hard to find good stuff that way. You have to hit them frequently! HAMMER THEM!!!

I still hold out hope that someday i will find the SX- 1980 sitting tucked away in the back for 15 dollars.
Lol, you too ?
Yard sales are about the only places I score big hits . But once every few years . Thrifts are absolutely dry, most times .

If you want something, just earn some money and buy a nice one. I have better things to do then deal with the scum that works at these places.. and shops there..

I sorta agreed with all of what you said up there. But....
You might want to rephrase that one . . I know quite a few ...

Back
Top Bottom