How often do you play a new album?

eljr

Koyaanisqatsi
I have read the spin threads for years. It's not common to see a poster play the same album repetitively.

I know when I buy a new album, I tend to listen to it several times in the same week if I like it.
If it does not impress me i still generally listen, at least twice.

Even old spins, when I get an urge to hear one, sometimes one spin does not scratch the itch.

How about you?

How often do you listen to the same album if you like it?

Two or more times a day for a day or two? (I did this when I was young)

Once a day for several days?

Twice a week for a few weeks?

Once a month?

Once every 6 months?

Once ever eclipse?

In my youth ... back in the day ... when you actually bought albums ...

Would play the same albums numerous times ... to get into it ...catch the vibe. Some albums were good on first listen & some took me a while. Some ... just never got it .. at the time.
Some bands (Counting Crows for example) ... I never got their albums on first listen ... after numerous plays ... it just clicked. Happened that way every time w/ their albums.

Fast forward to the Vinyl dollar bin years (buried in records) ... would play the album once (condition & content) ... thumbs up or down ... keep or cull .. onto the next.
My favorites get spun about once every six months.

Now w/ Subscription Streaming ... usually just play it once ... onto the next. I've always got a backlog list to work though. I don't give albums the same ... play it till I get it ... like back in the day.

Even on streaming ... there are some favorite albums that get played about once every six months.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this. There is a handful of recordings I listen to all the time because I associate and match them with certain activities, often in the background. Otherwise, I just listen once to whatever I have purchased most recently, catalog it, and put it away for another day...I could pull it down again in a month or in several years, it just depends.

Here are some of my "standbys" for the events of life -
  • Antal Dorati's recording of Respighi's Ancient Dances and Airs (background music for nice dinners)
  • Glenn Gould's recording of the Bach D Minor Concerto (music for intense concentration/high productivity work sessions)
  • One of the recent vinyl pressings of Kind of Blue with the corrected pitch (testing changes in my vinyl setup)
  • Brubeck, Time Out (party music)
  • Various recordings of the Brandenburg Concertos (the soundtrack of life!)
  • This YouTube Video of a Mozart Serenade (studying my Bible)
  • Diana Krall, The Look of Love (making a laid-back American style dinner at home!)
  • The Lark Ascending (I think the recording with Boult?) I put on every weekend when we have a family dinner at my parent's house...
I also tend to listen to the appropriate "ethnic" music for the kind of dinner I am having...Italian music for pasta, Irish or Scotch music for fish and chips, Ravi Shankar for Indian, you get my drift...

Oh, and I listen to this all the freaking time because I love it - and it's already clean, so I don't have to bust out the record cleaner. :)

R-7881364-1450815555-9019.jpeg.jpg

I usually buy new albums on vinyl with a download code, but a few are on CD which I then rip.

I'll usually actively listen to new LPs and CDs no more than 2 or 3 times before they are filed away.

The MP3s all eventually make there way to the hard drive of the desktop in my office. I spend most of the work day sitting there working on databases and spreadsheets, and listen to music I am familiar with. I avoid listening to music for the first time since it is very passive listening. No streaming as I don't want to take up the bandwidth, and I have the sound files. I usually make a playlist for the day as I sit down to work. Some new purchases that I take an instant liking to end up getting played at least once a week for several months.

Recent favorites:
American Band - The Drive-by Truckers
Jesu/Sun Kil Moon (selftitled)
Love Letter for Fire - Sam Beam & Jesca Hoop
The Skeleton Tree - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Satan is Real - The Louvin Brothers
Everything & Nothing - Hammock
You Want it Darker - Leonard Cohen

Although most of the replies look to be vinyl-centric, I'm thinking that eljr was more asking about and album as a collection of songs, be it CD, download, record, etc.

I usually do one of three things:
1) Love the album and have it on heavy rotation for a week or two. I have a CDP at home and one in each of my cars so I often listen on my way carting kids here and there, while at work with some cans, and at home either on my computer/stereo with cans or downstairs with speakers. Usually only once a day. After a few weeks I'll get bored with the music and set it aside until it tickles my fancy down the road and then it will be on heavy rotation again. These days, "classics" like Zeppelin or The Who may only come out once a year, if.
2) I hate the album and either shelve it or flip it for credit at my local store. I usually try to give it a second or third chance.
3) I hate it, put it aside, then some time later, (in some cases, years), if I still have the thing, will try it again, it will "click," I'll fall in love with it and it will become like option #1.

Sometimes music, even when it's great, won't sound good because of your mood, being preoccupied with life, or just not really having the time to sit down and appreciate it. Sometimes it's maturity and aging and having new-found respect for the things you never really liked. Except Steely Dan. Blech.

At least every other day....

Then of course a good various artists gets played quite often. But, different music for different moods. If a person plays the same music no matter how they feel, music does not reach them.

Er, actually, I have 3 or 4 crates of albums that are still waiting to be played, acquired in the past 5 years. Every once in a while, I play a few.

It definitely depends. I find that I don't force them upon myself much anymore. Pink Floyd's newest and David Gilmour's newest, once each the first day and a couple times over the next week or so. Sting's newest, I couldn't quite get a grip on it and though I'm not in love, I'm intrigued. I listened to it three times the first day and I bought it at about 6pm.

Back in the day, I usually listened to it two or three times a day for the first few days regardless if I liked it at first or not.

9 out of 10 get played once and then filed away. If it is an exceptional record I will play it 2-3 times in the first month. Really good records may get played 3-4 times the first year.

Most of the recent records come with digital downloads. So if I have the time I'll play the LP, but often I'm moving around. Depends on the album too. I'll listen to the digital version 2-3 times a day for weeks. Take a beak and listen to it some more. I am listening to other stuff in between.

I was just thinking about this. There is a handful of recordings I listen to all the time because I associate and match them with certain activities, often in the background. Otherwise, I just listen once to whatever I have purchased most recently, catalog it, and put it away for another day...I could pull it down again in a month or in several years, it just depends.

Here are some of my "standbys" for the events of life -
  • Antal Dorati's recording of Respighi's Ancient Dances and Airs (background music for nice dinners)
  • Glenn Gould's recording of the Bach D Minor Concerto (music for intense concentration/high productivity work sessions)
  • One of the recent vinyl pressings of Kind of Blue with the corrected pitch (testing changes in my vinyl setup)
  • Brubeck, Time Out (party music)
  • Various recordings of the Brandenburg Concertos (the soundtrack of life!)
  • This YouTube Video of a Mozart Serenade (studying my Bible)
  • Diana Krall, The Look of Love (making a laid-back American style dinner at home!)
  • The Lark Ascending (I think the recording with Boult?) I put on every weekend when we have a family dinner at my parent's house...
I also tend to listen to the appropriate "ethnic" music for the kind of dinner I am having...Italian music for pasta, Irish or Scotch music for fish and chips, Ravi Shankar for Indian, you get my drift...

Love this post and your choices for music on these occasions!

I love this line, "Brandenburg Concertos (the soundtrack of life!)"

I tend to do the same....

For some reason I also have seasonal music. OK, Christmas we all understand but I tend to prefer bluegrass only in the fall! I have no clue why.

I try to have the CD of the records I own. Some things I have never were released on CD so I make my own. I try not to play my really expensive stuff much and rely on digital sources instead of putting wear on the records. I do play a lot of records but having so many pretty much insures that in the end, the collection as a whole sees little play (if that makes sense). I do have a stack of favorites that see a lot of play since playing records is what I do most, most are duplicates with the best example set aside in the archive

I'm thinking that eljr was more asking about and album as a collection of songs, be it CD, download, record, etc.

Exactly. I choose the word album because that is what I meant, album, no matter what media it is on.

Isn't an album a collection of songs?

LOL @ me, I just looked it up!

Album, is a collection of audio recordings issued as a single item on CD, record, audio tape, or another medium.

Thanks dodog

Back
Top Bottom