How often do you play a new album?

IMG_0013.JPG

Like this guy gets allot of play.....an inproved jam session of veteran musicians that were under contract to Motown records as talent coaches writing songs and teaching groups how to perform and sing for recording purposes. Album is fusion Jazz and R&B...the D stands for Detroit, its hip sixties lingo !

I listen to a lot of music but most LP's only get played once because of the amount and a good portion have yet to touch my table, just a lack of time.

At work I listen repeatedly to recordings I like on my iPod. Only about 10% of my work-time music listening is new unfamiliar stuff.

At home I mostly listen to vinyl and 99% of the time it's something new. I buy a lot of records.

out of my 850+ LPs, probably 20 or so are on regular rotation. Several Yes, Roxy Music, Urge Overkill, ZZ Top, Blue Oyster Cult just to name a few!

Just bought a live boot Strokes LP and have played it several times already! Highly recommended!!

I was just thinking about this. There is a handful of recordings I listen to all the time because I associate and match them with certain activities, often in the background. Otherwise, I just listen once to whatever I have purchased most recently, catalog it, and put it away for another day...I could pull it down again in a month or in several years, it just depends.

Here are some of my "standbys" for the events of life -
  • Antal Dorati's recording of Respighi's Ancient Dances and Airs (background music for nice dinners)
  • Glenn Gould's recording of the Bach D Minor Concerto (music for intense concentration/high productivity work sessions)
  • One of the recent vinyl pressings of Kind of Blue with the corrected pitch (testing changes in my vinyl setup)
  • Brubeck, Time Out (party music)
  • Various recordings of the Brandenburg Concertos (the soundtrack of life!)
  • This YouTube Video of a Mozart Serenade (studying my Bible)
  • Diana Krall, The Look of Love (making a laid-back American style dinner at home!)
  • The Lark Ascending (I think the recording with Boult?) I put on every weekend when we have a family dinner at my parent's house...
I also tend to listen to the appropriate "ethnic" music for the kind of dinner I am having...Italian music for pasta, Irish or Scotch music for fish and chips, Ravi Shankar for Indian, you get my drift...
Dorati 's recording of Ancient Airs and Dances was the first record I played when I got a turntable 3 years ago. It was almost 30 years since I last heard it. I thought, God I've missed this music. I made a CD copy and played it in my car every day for over a year. It really relaxed me during the rush hour commute.

Dorati 's recording of Ancient Airs and Dances was the first record I played when I got a turntable 3 years ago. It was almost 30 years since I last heard it. I thought, God I've missed this music. I made a CD copy and played it in my car every day for over a year. It really relaxed me during the rush hour commute.

It is a wonderful recording of wonderful music. Possibly my very favorite album.

How often I listen to a new album depends on the album :)

I remember when Angel of Retribution and Nostradamus came out from Judas Priest. I listened to them several times a week for about 6 months :)

Same thing with Last Patrol from Monster Magnet. I played that album to death :)

I listen to something new to me almost right away and then again a few days later before it gets put away or put in the 'good-bye box'. I don't like to keep an album that does nothing for me. I think the mood I'm in has a lot to do with how much I like something and that's why I play it a couple times over a period of time before I judge it. I also try to not play something too much if I like it a lot so that it's always fresh.

Back
Top Bottom