How old and who was the band of artist?

I was 8 when I heard "Glad All Over" by the Dave Clark Five in 1964, and badgered my parents until they bought me the 45. Shortly thereafter, the Beatles, the Stones, and a lifetime of listening to music.

I think I was 5 or so and probably CCR or maybe the Rolling Stones (probably Hot Rocks 64-71). My parents played a lot of 70s singer songwriter stuff, Allman Brothers, etc.etc.

Another song/group that got my audio juices flowing was "Father O.S.A." on the Styx II album. The pipe organ and drums!!!

Let's see. Billy Joel's Storm Front came out late October 1989. My dad's system consisted of a silver face Yamaha Natural Sound receiver and a Sony CD player, with a pair of really nice New England built 2 way floor-standing speakers.

Storm Front was one of the first few CDs he got.

I was probably 5 when I first heard it. "We Didn't Start The Fire" made quite the impression. (I was also a big Jimmy Buffet and Earth Wind and Fire fan at the time, thanks to my dad.)

When I got my own stereo set up in my room 5 or 6 years later, it was one of the first CDs I bought.

1960 got my first transistor radio when I was 7, prior to that was a crystal radio kit.(peg board components and clip leads)
Grandfather sold Zenith TVs & Stereos, Dad repaired electronics in back of same building.
Used to listen to KAAY in Little Rock Arkansas every night.
Buddy Holly - Rave On & Well All Right were tops on my list back then

Last edited:
New Order's Blue Monday at full volume at an indoor dodgem car ride aged 13. The guys had a full on PA and were playing it over and over.

U2's Gloria had the same effect a couple of days later also changed something inside me forever. I had to have these songs and bought the singles that week.

An older friend had a Phillips mono cassette player like the one in the picture and was playing Kiss- Hotter Than Hell
I was sold. Think I was 5 or 6

Philips%20EL-3302%20Large%20Photo%201_zpszsnomwpg.gif

Child of the 70s, and while my mother often had music playing none of her favorites did much for me (Crystal Gayle, Eddie Rabbit, BJ Thomas..). Then I heard something that caught my attention: ‘Black Betty’ from RamJam. Soon after she brought me to a house party (guess she couldn’t find a sitter) and the host sat me down in front of his rack system with some headphones and a stack of LPs. The usual 70s era but one in particular changed my life forever.
It was the debut album from Van Halen...and led me to Sabbath, Priest, and then it was all metal all the time!

When I was 5, I got a little blue & white record player and a few 45 singles for Christmas- Candy Man by Sammy Davis Jr and Thank You Very Much by The Scaffold are two that I remember. So that has to be my very first introduction to music. My Mom always had the radio on too so I used to hear all the AM Gold songs from 1969-72. Plus she played albums by CCR, Led Zep.

I'm pretty sure I was 5 years old (because I hadn't started 1st grade yet) when the baby sitter from next door came over one day with some Beatles 45's and a portable record player. I was smitten! (with the Beatles, that is. LOL).

So I'm 7 years old (1967) and my older beautiful blond cousin Jeanie visits us in Nor Cal. She's about 20, but doesn't boss me around like an 'adult' and treats me more like a friend. Big goings on for my little brain. She has a brand new Mustang convertible, and I'm in full swoon.

Sunshine Superman and the Sgt Pepper singles are in big rotation on the car radio (KFRC) and the whole thing is unforgettable.

I was raised in the 80’s in the Midwest. Grew up about 10 miles outside of a town with a population of about 300 people. Not much exposure to all the great music I love today. We had an antenna that picked up 3 or 4 TV channels. I remember one local channel always played music videos real late every Friday night. They played Quiet Riot “Metal Health” one night and I lost my mind. I had heard rock music before, several times from staying with my Dad, but something changed when I heard that song. From then on, all I wanted to do was raise my fist and scream “BANG YOUR HEAD!!!” Haha

I was nine years old, and these two songs are my earliest recollection:

I can't remember which one I heard first, I think it was The Turtles. :idea:

Intro to Rock for me was BTO, Jethro Tull, Queen, and Kiss.

I was a long-hair classical and country fan until around '71/'72, so 11 or 12 years old.

Got to see Kiss in '76, Destroyer Tour. My first rock concert...Tull and Queen soon followed the same year. A lot of bands had a hard time living up to those first few concerts.

Sweet Little Sixteen and Johnny B. Goode. on my sisters portable 45 player. She was 16 and I was seven.

Back
Top Bottom