How old are you and what are the frequency limits of your hearing?

How’s the upper limit of your hearing?

• 8k upper limit

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 10k upper limit

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • 12k upper limit

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • 14k upper limit

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • 16k upper limit

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • 18k ( really ? )

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • Both ears significantly different

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Just can’t seem to hear anything coming from certain people

Votes: 16 14.3%

• Total voters
Age 59, have a slight drop at 4k, can't hear above about 13,600 cps. I'm ok with that, but I watch out for high volume, so hopefully I stay there for a good long while.

43, through a pair of Grado SR-80's and using the test here:

...I was able to hear the whole spectrum from 20 to 20k. Though everything above 17k or so was like an "outer space" sound to me.
Don't know if there were any limitations on the computer hardware or how good the above test really is.

Im 61. I can hear up to mid 16k range. After that my hearing rolls off pretty quick. This is from an annual complete physicals I get through the VA Hospital. My last test was Jan. 2017. I missed this years apt and need to reschedule. Not bad though I think, for all the concerts I been to, down range in a tank battalion while watching the tanks fire standing not 50' away. Steel working for most of my life and never used hearing protection. My doctor cant believe how good my hearing is considering my age and the extreme loud music! Ill take it as everything else is going to hell at least I can hear!!

64 and 6 months ago hearing was tested and okay to 16kHz. My wife thinks I'm deaf but I have selective hearing, which keeps me sane after 44 years of marriage.

I feel like I'm one of the youngest on this forum. I'm 17 and I can hear up to 19,500 Hertz. This hobby is gonna destroy my hearing by the time I'm 40.

At low volume about 13khz. I boosted the volume to approx 75% to get to 16khz. 57 y/o. A few trusted merchants of high end gear say there is no info above 10k, fwiw.

I've suffered Tinnitus since I was about 8 Y/O but, strangely have had excellent hearing passing DOT physicals with upper marks, even hearing things either others don't notice as much or not at all.
No, the voices in my head are different. Nowadays the ring is louder and for some reason other noises that would bother most really annoy me more.
But, when listening to music or even TV the noise seems to almost drop away, still don't know what dB I hear at though.

My iPad is no good for online tests..... I would think that a great sound card would be necessary !

Never had problems with my hearing

I think this pole should have associated age with it. The results would have been more informative. At 65 I still hear into the 14Khz range, I know this from a true hearing test last year and generating tones through my system.

60 years old. took the above test and started
hearing sound at 50 hz and did not hear anything after 4100hz.
I have severe tinnitus caused by nerve damage from
60 radiation treatments to my neck and head.

Last edited:
I am 49 years old and lucky enough to hear from just above 20 to about 16. I actually took this test a little while back and was upset I couldn't hear to 20. After reading some of these answers I consider myself lucky. It does make me wonder how much and how rapidly it might drop off as I continue getting better. I mean older. I just had one of my younger friends take this test with me at the volume control. It was kinda funny, he was complaining as I was turning it up past 16 khz to try and hear something. What do you mean turn it down? I don't hear anything.

I am 49 years old and lucky enough to hear from just above 20 to about 16. I actually took this test a little while back and was upset I couldn't hear to 20. After reading some of these answers I consider myself lucky. It does make me wonder how much and how rapidly it might drop off as I continue getting better. I mean older. I just had one of my younger friends take this test with me at the volume control. It was kinda funny, he was complaining as I was turning it up past 16 khz to try and hear something. What do you mean turn it down? I don't hear anything.

When I test my hearing I use an AR-3a with a replacement HiVi tweeter.
Since I first posted this thread I am happy to say that my response hasn't gotten noticeably worse.
My dog ( in the Avatar pic ) leaves and won't come near me for a while when I crank up the signal generator above 10K!

I lost my hearing (a 3db rolloff) above 6k in my right ear when I was about 60. But my left ear stayed reasonable full range, and I found the brain compensated nicely the the missing frequencies, and especially kept phase relationships intact. This was caused by a case of Bell's Palsy that paralyzed about all the muscles on the right side of my head (eyes, mouths, cheeks, etc. ... and apparently the ear as well.)

But in the last two years I've lost the hearing in my left ear .... classic old age rolloff. Suddenly everything vocal is mush, and music ambience is virtually non-exitence. The only way I can really enjoy music (stereo or live) is to cup my ears and boost the upper midrange in the process. Tomorrow I am going to pick up some decent hearing aids, and this will help my conversational hearing. I'm not so sure I'm not going to prefer "cupped ears" to the aid when it comes to music.

I lost my hearing (a 3db rolloff) above 6k in my right ear when I was about 60. But my left ear stayed reasonable full range, and I found the brain compensated nicely the the missing frequencies, and especially kept phase relationships intact. This was caused by a case of Bell's Palsy that paralyzed about all the muscles on the right side of my head (eyes, mouths, cheeks, etc. ... and apparently the ear as well.)

But in the last two years I've lost the hearing in my left ear .... classic old age rolloff. Suddenly everything vocal is mush, and music ambience is virtually non-exitence. The only way I can really enjoy music (stereo or live) is to cup my ears and boost the upper midrange in the process. Tomorrow I am going to pick up some decent hearing aids, and this will help my conversational hearing. I'm not so sure I'm not going to prefer "cupped ears" to the aid when it comes to music.
Please get back to us on this, it sounds familiar and familiarly frustrating.

Back atcha, Pio1980. I'm still getting used to my hearing aids. Thanks to a discount via my Health New England medicare advantage plan, I received a fixed price on a set of TruHearing Advanced 19 hearing aids. My audiologist, to whom these were a new model, told me they were the first of any brand she handled to feature a "Music HD" program if you wanted it. I made that my alternate program vs ordinary voice programing. She told me she worked with many musicians (I live in that kind of area) and did one small tweak that seemed to knock out the small residual midrange peak that the standard program left behind, and I have been using it to listen to my system but haven't yet attended a live concert. So far so good. It sounds slightly digital in the upper reaches, but is flatter and more extended than "cupping my ears".

Back
Top Bottom