Votes: 207 14.1%
  • 36-50

Votes: 581 39.4%
  • 51-65

Votes: 438 29.7%
  • 66 and over

Votes: 31 2.1%

• Total voters
22. Got started a while back with a Sony setup from the '70s from my grandparents. Just bought my second ES component!

39. When I was a kid I had little Sony 'ghetto' blaster. 2 cassettes, am/fm radio. Pretty basic and small, not Do the Right Thing size. But I loved it and it got me through most of my youth. I still have it. Then in my teens I got my dads Toshiba SA-400 receiver, old Sony speakers, and in the late 80's I think we got our first cd player. A Sony unit and the first disc was Pink Floyd's A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

54 years old......

f523577d0056a5d6_spinaltap_zps7007b336.jpg

52 and still racing MX with all the 20 year olds. One day at the track I was practicing and horsing around with a rider that thought he was fast. I toyed with him a bit on the track and then checked out and left him in the dust. After exiting the track and parking by my trailer, a very young girl, maybe in her very early 20’s if that, walked up to ask me a question.
When I took off my helmet and she could see my very gray beard, she turned around and said to her young boyfriend, and I quote.” That’s an old man! You just got spanked by a grandpa! And she laughed so hard she was in tears.
I told her, thats not the only thing i'm still good at sweetie!
Made my day!

Oh! And I hate surround sound. Give me a 2 channel any day. Or 2.1 if the speakers are too small for any bass.

Last edited:
Just turned 25.

I have an old (in Apple terms) iPod I got when I graduated from highschool. Then Apple put out a newer model a week later...

Always wanted to get into vinyl. I was into underground punk and a lot of self published punk bands would put out 45s or find a small shop to press limited runs for self financed LPs.

I couldn't afford any audio equipment during college.

Got into vintage audio a year or so ago. The old iPod still works but it won't hold a charge. It stays plugged into my car's USB port. I don't even bother taking it out of the car when its 95+ degrees in the summer or 10 degrees in the winter. Waiting for the day for the hard drive to stop working. It's probably on its last legs. Funny how a roughly 6 year old iPod is about to go kaput but my ELAC 50H TT from the late 60's is churning along just fine...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Okay, I am 55, and will be 56 in just a few months, although at times I feel like I am pushing 18. That's a good thing. Plus, according to my cardiologist (yes, I am one of those fortunate enough to be on a first name basis with a cardiologist [The Most Wonderful Dr. Cynthia Warner at Evergreen Medical Center]), I am as fit as "an active 28 year old". So there! :banana: You CAN turn the clock back if you work at it!

Having said that, I, too, have some concerns about the younger generation not appreciating all of the benefits of good audio. I have three sons, ages 20 to 25. My oldest son, although an appreciator of good audio, mainly deals with computer-based digital sources and a less than stellar system at home. At night he plays lead guitar in a very good garage band, so maybe he gets enough there and does not need more at home. Who am I to judge? My middle son has no significant interest in music at all as far as I can tell. However, my youngest son seems to have a bit of a sweet spot for good audio and I have been encouraging him to develop this as he sees fit - whether it be by the old two channel means that I grew up with and still love, or by some other means. For those of you longing for the old days, he and his college roommates live in an apartment with a two channel system that I put together for him WITH A TURNTABLE THAT ONE OF HIS ROOMMATES PROVIDED! I set him up with a Sherwood receiver and two pairs of speakers (EPI 100s in custom enclosures and a pair of Speakerlab SA-500s), a DIY sub (the Triska from Parts Express - not necessary with the SL-500s) and he and his roommates supply the digital music sources. What else can I do? They seem to enjoy it.

As far as I am concerned, I am open to any music source that meets my needs. Here's the deal: I am heavily invested in plain old stereo, both in terms of hardware and music sources. I Still Have Two Kids In College, so my options in terms of investing in new music sources is limited (no problem with the playback). When something comes along that is better than what I have (LP, CD, and cassette tape - yes, GASP, cassette tape) I will seriously consider it, but I have not run across that yet given my current situation. But I am open to anything. That's what got me started in this whole audio thing in the first place. :D I still have one of the original Sony Walkmen (all metal)... I was on the cutting edge in my day as far as portability was concerned:scratch2:

GREAT thread, by the way! I have really, really enjoyed reading about others' situations regarding our love of music.

52 and still racing MX with all the 20 year olds......

I used to ride MX; man , those were the days. I would love to ride today but I just don´t have the money for that :(

I miss the brute power of my Honda CR500 !

Attachments

• resized_mx (1).jpg
    resized_mx (1).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 11
  • resized_mx (2).jpg
    resized_mx (2).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 11
  • resized_mx (3).jpg
    resized_mx (3).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 11
I think the younger generation appreciate music, especially when you see the figures for downloads, I just think it is our older ears don't recognise it as music, in the same way your parents/grandparents did.

I wonder if Beethoven or Mozart were alive today, how they may perform/re-arrange some of the modern music.:D

63 by the way.

Back
Top Bottom