How old, make that "YOUNG", are you guys?

Mentally, I'm 15.
Chronologically, I was born a few days after Stalin died.
I have a blend of vintage tubage, connected to digital and analog sources.
I have modern B&W's, vintage Wharfedales and Klipsch.
I don't care when something was born, as long as it does the job.

I am nearly 38 with the appearance of being 10yrs older, joy!
I am currently rebuilding my setup but the front end will be my LEAK 3090's and initially an early Marantz cdp of some sort.
I follow Chelsea FC and have a VW habit to compliment the "HiFi" one.

I turn 55 next week, while on vacation. I've been heavily into music since I was about 13 or so. The first 3 albums I ever bought were "Paul Simon", Band of Gypsys by Jimi Hendrix/Buddy Miles, and Elton John's Madman Across the Water. I still have all 3.

I used to say I was old when the Dead Sea died, but now I see that there are at least 19 people older than me in this thread.

I'm 65, and have been into music since I was about 10. Already had a Magnavox 45rpm record player when Elvis first hit the charts. Got a tilt up player for LPs in high school - the kind that had removable speakers clipped to each end.

In 1969 I got most of my current gear, and still have it all, with some nice additions.

The number of younger people in this thread is really encouraging. I've seen many of their posts here in AK and would have pegged them for older than their announced age. Their comments, questions, suggestions, etc, have been mature, thoughtful, respectful and wise.

My hat is off to you guys, and I hope you can enjoy the sounds, the gear and the company until you are far older than I - - -

I turned 55 this past March. I have liked hifi since I was a kid. When I was 8 my grandmother gave me a small transitor radio. I used to listen to music from it with my head next to it on the pillow. Dad worked for Ampex as a sales manager and had some great stereo equipment in the den. My daughter has some of it now in her room.

47 years young, wife is 46. Been in electronics since I was 7 building simple kits. Been in broadcast engineering as assistant since 9.

61. Vaporized a screw driver at the age of 9 and knew right then and there where I was going!

59. Been playing with electronics and audio in some form another since about the 3rd grade. My very first project was an electro-magnet powered by a hugh army-surplus 6v battery that would have powered it for years it was so large! From there I hacked a 2-transistor radio with a crystal microphone to make a PA system of sorts. I thought it was way cool at the time.

My first 'real' audio system was a Pioneer SX-626 (still own), Dual 1229 TT and a pair of KLH speakers. Now I can't get enough of the vintage gear. My wife would say I'm getting too much. :D I'm old enough to have grand-kids, but the reality of it is, I'm on my second family, so my young son likes that his old man is into this stuff. He's building his own system(s) at 13.

redjr...

started guitar lessons when i was 9.
into music since i could hear.
spent countless hours pouring over hifi books and magazines back in the 70's...looking at all the cool stuff i couldn't possibly afford. Now i can get the stuff for nothing or next to it.
I spent years making part of my living by playing guitar...now i make all of my living by building them. It's a sickness...I know.
Could be worse i suppose.

61. Vaporized a screw driver at the age of 9 and knew right then and there where I was going!

That's funny! I can remember my first concious realization of current when I was at my Grandmother's house when I was maybe 5 or 6 and touching her toaster and the kitchen faucet at the same time, haha. Remeber those days? We didn't think anything about it, just the way it was. I can also remember when I was about 7, I stuck a paper clip into a wall socket to, "...make a lightbulb..." got my ass beat for that one, LOL. :D

I just turned 27.
I am into audio for about 17 years.
At first i had a aristona all in one system that i got from my grandparents.
At the age of 15 i bought a Aiwa SPC minitower because it had cd (big mistake).
Just 4 years ago i got my Akai AM-2600.
That one got me back into hifi trying new (to me) formats like records and tapes.

Was a musician before I got into the technical side of audio, and got my start in electronics from amateur radio.

There sure is a lot of old fogey's on this thread!

I'm only 21. :banana:

However, in a couple of days I will be "reset" for the third time. Peter Pan was always my hero.

Best Regards,
TerryO

A lady never tells her age... but I will make an exception here as I am 27, and a vintage audio enthusiast since I was about 19.

Back
Top Bottom