How old were you when you got your first McIntosh?

sc1801

Go Gamecocks!
I watched an interesting interview online with Charlie Randall and he stated that McIntosh systems are typically purchased by people after their children have grown up and left the house.

That leads me wonder how old most folks are when they get their first McIntosh.

I'll start first since I'm a Mc newbie.

I got my first Mc a 2 weeks ago and I'm 26.

Well you're doing very well indeed! :thmbsp:

You've got a good ~ 1/2 century of McIntosh enjoyment ahead of you. :beerchug:

Charlie may have been speaking about new equipment? We had our first Mac in our house when I was 2. Dad was in his early 30s. Most of the people we met all had growing families and somehow managed to sneak macs into the family budget. A large number of my generation Mac lovers came from an earlier generation of Mac owners as well, and have gone on to inspire more younger Mac lovers. But most started off with used Macs and then progressed on from there.

I was 45, a year ago. I bought a used MC2100 and traded some other equipment for a C33. Those are my only Mac pieces so far.

34 IIRC. I went to a store to look at a Rotel amp. An MA6600 caught my eye. Never even listened to the Rotel after that.

I hang my head in shame; I had to wait till I was 48 for my first; a C28. Raising a family, buying a home etc, took away all my Mcmoney till then.

I got my first Mac (MC2205)at 55 years old. It's the amp I always wanted.

Mortgage paid off- check. Kids college expenses paid- check. Kids flew the coop- check.

Now I can play my own music as loud as I want- except when my wife is home. I also wear the pants in the family, as soon as she takes them out of the dryer and hands them to me.

Good question, mebbe 50 when the the Mac 50 showed up and unfortunately it's still a pretty doorstop as a single mono piece without a mate. I just like having it around for sentimental reasons I guess, tho' never really heard it do it's thing.

I was 24 and had saved money for a new car, my friend ran the local high end stereo store, Audio Associates.

He called me with a deal, a six month old totl stack for half retail, the original owner wanted to trade it in and my friend didn't need it. The decision took about 5-10 seconds.

I had to drive the Gremlin three speed with the broken AM radio for two more years, it's gone but I still have the Mac gear.

I dated some beautiful women while I had this car, now that I'm single again perhaps I should get another retro babe magnet.

1975LevisGremlinX.jpg

Last edited:
New MR73 in 1970 for $550 on a $10,400 gross salary. I was 22. That was the last and only new Mac I have owned. The next was a used C34V in 1998. I have six used Macs now. I have bought and sold four others when better ones appeared. I have also owned and sold some other classics such as a JBL SA600 that make me cry.

22 yrs old was a Aviation Officer Candidate at NAS Saufley Field, Pensacola Florida. Bought my LT 1 Corvette from the Pensacola Buggy Works and Mc C-28, 2100, MR-73 and AR3a's from Grice Electronics. Still have the Mc equipment.
Rob

55. Got an MC-2105 and a C-28. I'm now looking for an MR-74 or 77 to complete the set. I'm done shopping. :thmbsp:

I was in my 30's. V.P. for a company and had some disposable income for the first time.
Having grown up about 12 miles from the McIntosh plant, I always wanted Mac and finally went for it.
Bought a 1900 and a pair of ML-1c's. I remember I was so happy to finally have a McIntosh.

20 - my father purchased a "console" stereo for my apartment for me. It had an MX110, MC240, Dual 1019, and JBL speakers. :banana:

55. Got an MC-2105 and a C-28. I'm now looking for an MR-74 or 77 to complete the set. I'm done shopping. :thmbsp:

That's what they all say.

I was 20 when I bought my 1700. I think I paid 5 bills then. Remanned a lot of alternators to buy it. Still have it.

I was 21 when a bought a MA6100 new then a C26 and a MC2105 a year later, great systems then and now.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Wow, I'm right on the Charlie Randall schedule. My final kid went off to college when I was 55, and I found myself with a little extra money and the time to start messing with stereos for the first time since I was in college. As a Deadhead, I'd always been aware of, and wanted, Mac stuff, and finally got my first piece. And then another. And another. I'm sort of out of control at this point...

Ed

1970 I was 17 and swapped in my Kenwood receiver and some small change for a Mac C20 and a Fisher SA1000. I still own the C20.

33, Just picked up a MC60 and testing an MX119 and 120 to see which one fits best into my current setup!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom