How old were you when you got your first McIntosh?

I'm a little late to the game, my first Mac came in the form of a pair of MC30's last month and a C27 on the way, I turned 49 in April.
Oh and my kids are not grown and gone, they are 4 and 7... I seem to do all the good stuff late in life...

38 years old, a friend gave me a MA 6100 integrated in need of some repair. I got the integrated working. I later wound up with a MAC 1900 receiver until it's volume and balance pots went toes up, now own a MA 5100 in superb condition and recently added a MC 2505-2 power amplifier and a MX 114 tuner preamplifier which I acquired for $100 in need of repair, they are working well. Need cosmetic restoration which I am still working on, they survived a house fire in Knoxville some years ago. The MX 114 also needs new front glass.

I got my first McIntosh components in 1974 at the age of 20 while in college. An MC2105, C28, and MR78 all with the slant leg walnut cabinets. I still have all of them and the original receipts. I paid $25 every 2 weeks to the owner of the audio shop in Montgomery, Al. No contract, just a handshake and a promise to pay in full, which for him took a lot of faith in a kid that still had 2 more years of college and a part time job. I still LOVE my McIntosh equipment and sometimes consider upgrading, but because of the obvious sentimental reasons, I'll probably never let them go. Great thread!! Cheers!! :music:

I read this post when it was started and decided that i couldnt wait to get one till after i had kids. I was 24. Now im 25, and i own two peices. Go figure. Ha!

I just turned 60 a month ago and got my first Mac last week...a beautiful MA6500 that sounds so good that I don't know why I waited so long!! Sounds spectacular with my Revel m22's.

I don't have it anymore but I think I was 4.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 63
I bought my first Mcintosh gear when I was 21, although it was car audio. I bought my first home audio at age 35.

This is one thread that I'd like to see poll results on a graph.
Who's the youngest or oldest first time owner?

So far, 4 looks to be the youngest. ;)

I started to like this old stuff at a pretty young age. When I was about 12 or 13 in the early 70's I lucked into a MC 240.

My Dad had bought a small parcel of mountain land to build a cabin on. It was only accessible in Winter by foot or tractor. He arranged to keep a tractor in the garage/shop of a ranch near the base of the mountain. It was a nice place with a big custom home. Anyway, while digging through all this cool old stuff stored in the shop while my Dad was working on the tractor I spied a MC 240 in what looked like great shape but covered in a layer of dust amongst the tools and farm stuff.

I was well aware of what it was and wanted it badly. I asked the man who owned the ranch if he would sell it to me. The story was they had put in a full custom sound system when the home was built in the 60's. They were broken into not long after and everything was stolen, but the Mac only made it about halfway down the driveway before the thieves just dropped it and left it (a bit heavy they are).

Anyway he told me, "promise you won't sell it and you can have it". One of the best deals I've ever gotten, I still have it and use it every day!

I also found a MR65 tuner in the window of an old TV repair shop in L.A. around this time with a $75 price tag on it. I somehow came up with the cash went back and rode home on the bus with it in my lap.

But it wasn't until I was in my 30's that I found a C-22 pre-amp that I could afford though.................

circa Age 16 - Hear 1st McIntosh system :drool:

Age 25 - Acquire 1st McIntosh (MAC 1700) :yes:

Age 26 - 1st McIntosh separate (C28) :thmbsp:

Age 27 (current age) - 1st McIntosh Power Amplifier (MC2200) :banana:

At this rate, I'll have a whole house that looks like the Dead's "Wall of Sound" by the time I'm in my mid-40's :D.

You read it a lot in this forum but it bears repeating: Once the Mac bug bites, there's no turning back...

I started to like this old stuff at a pretty young age. When I was about 12 or 13 in the early 70's I lucked into a MC 240.

My Dad had bought a small parcel of mountain land to build a cabin on. It was only accessible in Winter by foot or tractor. He arranged to keep a tractor in the garage/shop of a ranch near the base of the mountain. It was a nice place with a big custom home. Anyway, while digging through all this cool old stuff stored in the shop while my Dad was working on the tractor I spied a MC 240 in what looked like great shape but covered in a layer of dust amongst the tools and farm stuff.

I was well aware of what it was and wanted it badly. I asked the man who owned the ranch if he would sell it to me. The story was they had put in a full custom sound system when the home was built in the 60's. They were broken into not long after and everything was stolen, but the Mac only made it about halfway down the driveway before the thieves just dropped it and left it (a bit heavy they are).

Anyway he told me, "promise you won't sell it and you can have it". One of the best deals I've ever gotten, I still have it and use it every day!

I also found a MR65 tuner in the window of an old TV repair shop in L.A. around this time with a $75 price tag on it. I somehow came up with the cash went back and rode home on the bus with it in my lap.

But it wasn't until I was in my 30's that I found a C-22 pre-amp that I could afford though.................

Those are GREAT stories!

Got my first Mac which were car subwoofers when I was 27. Decided to pony up and get my first Mcintosh hifi gear a few years ago as a birthday gift to myself for my 43rd birthday, which was a tube amp. I in fact made a down on it a few days before my 43rd birthday. My second Mc gear was an new preamp which I got myself for my 44th birthday.

Back
Top Bottom