How old where you when you got your first McIntosh?

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by sc1801, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ossidian

ossidian Active Member

I still have them. If fact I have two MC-240's running them as mono blocks. I got the other MC-240 a few years later from an older scruffy mind engineer. He came into my friends used HiFi store (HiFi Cents) in Santa Clara, he stated he wanted to
    sell off a few items. Once he stated the mid fi items he had for sale nobody was interested, however I thought why not and followed him over to his house. He had tons and tons of gear in every room, mostly low to mid fi. I noticed in the garage in the corner was a bench full of McIntosh amps. He sold me one MC-240 for $200. Yes, he knew the value of the amplifier but really liked the idea of someone being so excited about tubes. Most of the other McIntosh amps he had were used for testing and measuring he stated and was told to throw them out decades ago by his employer but he kept a a lot of them. I came into my friends HiFi store the next day with the MC-240, he sure wished he didn't brush the guy off. By the way the gentleman who sold me the amp was one of the engineers who worked on the heat tiles for the reentry space vehicles.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Flatwounds, damacman and seacliffe301 like this.
  2. Indiana Drew

Indiana Drew AK Subscriber Subscriber

44 or 45 - after my dad past, I inherited his C20, MR65 & MC240. My best friend ended up with his MAC4100 and XR speakers ... getting dad’s tubes started me down the vintage tube slippery slope ...

Flatwounds and ossidian like this.
  3. ossidian

ossidian Active Member

You're father bestowed upon you the best in High Fidelity.

4. Indiana Drew

Indiana Drew AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes he did and in pristine condition cosmetically. I need to snap some shots of those pieces. Though I think I like the sound of the MC225s better, I would be hard pressed to let go to of my dad’s pieces ... he had them before he had me -lol!

5. mark506

mark506 Active Member

I think I was about 18 when I got a used MC240, and traded it in for a new MC2505 in 1971.