How old were you when you got your first McIntosh?

I stopped by the Mc dealer today and he has an MC302 that he is selling as a demo for a great price. I have never owned a piece of Mc gear, but as I am looking for a power amp to be fed from my AVR for the fronts, I am tempted. I love the sound of my ARC amp, but it is just too hot to keep in my cabinet. The Mac seems to run pretty cool.

Might be a decent time to join the club.

First interested in Mc amps when I was 15.
Finally acquired a system at the age of 60!
Better late, than never!

Didn't get my first Mac until I was 22 but I was constantly writing letters to the company asking for product information. They would send owner's and service manuals. They would come in handy 40+ years later repairing my (now) vintage stuff.

I watched an interesting interview online with Charlie Randall and he stated that McIntosh systems are typically purchased by people after their children have grown up and left the house.

That leads me wonder how old most folks are when they get their first McIntosh.

I'll start first since I'm a Mc newbie.

I got my first Mc a 2 weeks ago and I'm 26.

How old you say,well I guess I'm not old enough yet,I'm 67 this year and still waiting:):scratch2:

25, but that was in 1970! Owned 3-4 pieces continuously ever since. Took a set of them to Europe and ran them off transformers....never an issue, even with 50 Hz current.

When I went to my first mac clinic, 1963, is when I bought the MA 230 and MR 67. My Scotts failed miserably not even meeting specs at half power. People brought in 8b's and most failed I noticed. The marantz dealer had sold me my Scott 299 and was enraged! So he sent a new out of the Box 8b and it met mac specs but clipped at 42 watts. MC240's were putting out 55 watts. He sent a letter to Marantz with the test results, Saul wrote back and said that a MC240 was truly a 50 watt amp that Mac had down rated to 40 watts! While most guys were saving money to buy cars I bought hifi equipment!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=7581503&postcount=41

I'm also 67 and only have had the one MC50, sitting on the floor waiting for a sib or a good trade.

Well at least you have one!
Maybe by reversing our age 67 to 76 and by then God willing I will have some:):thmbsp:

for a song

53 years old and I was standing on a street corner in Scottsdale, Arizona staring at a free console with my mouth agape - MAC 1900

Sounds like the lyrics of that EAGLES song, Take it Easy.

"Well, I'm a standing on a corner
in Winslow, Arizona
and such a fine sight to see..." :yes:

56-between the mortgage, college etc, never had the chance. Good fortune came my way a month ago when my neighbor gave, yes gave me a MA 6200. My old SAE equipment finally crapped out after 35 years and he told me he bought this unit new in 1980 and when his mom got sick and came to live with him in 1982, he put it back in the box and it has been there ever since. He was just happy that I would put it to good use. And he won't take a penny for it.

I started of at 19 in 1976 with a brand new Pioneer SX-1250. I had that in the house till last year when I finally got my first mac, an MC-7300 amp, and I then added an MX130 for the preamp. It amazes me how many people I know that don't own any kind of audio gear, except for their car radio, and maybe a clock radio.

I was 21 when I purchased my MR77 and 23 when I got my 2205. Both were purchased new and to this day, I still own them.:D

24 - went to an estate sale, didn't buy anything, got in the car to leave and noticed there was a garage, debated but ultimately went in and found three MC30s and a C20 Pre, $10 each.

that was 20 years ago, the MC 30s are how hooked up to a C2300 and sound so sweet.

Lets see...
About 35-6. I got my MC2205 and shortly after that C28 ; I still have both.
I've added two tuners over the years, MR74 and MR71 that are both in the same system; somehow those became "hers" and "his" respectively. :D

I love my system but I am considering getting a newer preamp these days.
Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom