How to adjust VTA for Thorens TD 126 mkii tonearm

I am trying to accomplish two things

1. Raise the tonearm. It is too low for the platter -- I unscrewed the 2 hex screws of the plastic piece (that is also part of the anti-skate housing) but could not raise or lower the tonearm height.

2. Adjust the tonearm position since it does not reach the spindle. I believe i need to loosen the arm board screws for the tonearm but I cannot access the screw under the plastic piece. I can see them but there is no way access them with a flat head screw driver.

Here is a pic.

2966ap.jpg

On a TP-16 arm that is very similar in parts at the pivot end, mine has a single snug screw on the part below the AS mount. This part on the 16 has vertical sides. Yours looks like it's a conical section with a shiny screw at the bottom.

You may need to find out if this part is original. Off to Google Images for you!

On a TP-16 arm that is very similar in parts at the pivot end, mine has a single snug screw on the part below the AS mount. This part on the 16 has vertical sides. Yours looks like it's a conical section with a shiny screw at the bottom.

You may need to find out if this part is original. Off to Google Images for you!

On my AS mount, I have two hex screws. I loosened those and could move the AS mount around but could not move the tonearm up or down. Then I spotted the screws under the plastic housing that attaches the tonearm to the board. I figure that screw would be used to pivot the arm around and not raise or lower the tonearm. But maybe I am wrong. However, I have no idea how I would access that screw without breaking the plastic piece.

I need to raise the arm 1-2mm I think. Right now I have mounted the cart so it is parallel to the record. Is that all that matters?

Last edited:
thanks! That was helpful and I figured it out. New problem is the cue bar lifts but does not stay lifted after tightening the hex screw. A little weight will push it back down to the lowest position

Back
Top Bottom