How to catalog my collection?

N8Nagel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Is there any way to dump the contents of a directory (including subfolders) to a spreadsheet? I'm coming to the realization that my music collection exceeds my memory. Last thrift store run I came home with THREE CDs that either I or Nik already owned :/

I probably should have been making a spreadsheet when I ripped them the first time, but I didn't.

If it's iTunes you can try this, open iTunes then select "Library", then "Export Playlist" you should see "Save as: Music.txt" then save to your desktop. Right click on saved file and select "Open With" then choose excel. I just tried it and it works. you can edit and or remove the columns as you see fit. Here's a screen shot of what mine looks like

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 7.50.22 PM.png

I use a database to keep track of my music collection. Although many cobble up spreadsheets to attempt to do what a database is designed to do they are rather like a dancing Bear. It doesn't dance very well. That it dances at all is a marvel. Incidentally, all music player programs have a built in database that keeps track of the music files.

Spreadsheets are for manipulating numbers not cataloging data.

Back
Top Bottom