1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

How to check cartridge alignment, stylus pressure on fully automatic

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by hmegdal, Sep 16, 2018.

1. hmegdal

hmegdal New Member

Hi! Loving my Dual CS 620Q. But with the fully automatic tonearm, I'm not able to drop the stylus with the turnatable powered off, making it impossible to, for instance, measure the stylus pressure or the cartridge alignment. Any suggestions about how to do this would be welcome. Thanks!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mprince

mprince AK Subscriber Subscriber

Unplug it first.

Edit - misread the OP, apologies for a non-helpful post.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  3. jrtrent

jrtrent Super Member

Or perhaps unplug it while a record is playing, so the arm is already down.

WaynerN, JoeESP9 and Nashou66 like this.
  4. noisefreq

noisefreq Well-Known Member

I don't personally know the 620Q, but I've had this issue with other TT's.
    You should be able to remove the platter (https://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/cs-620q.shtml).

Once removed, you may need to use something to bring up the level of your scale, like the scale's plactic cover or a CD jewel case, to the correct platter height.
    You can then check your tracking force and compare it with the tracking force gauge on the arm.
    If it's right on, no need to question it again.

As far as alignment, the manual on VinylEngine.com shows a templet you can cut out but that may be difficult from a downloaded copy.
    It does give overhang and effective length, though.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  5. WaynerN

WaynerN AK Subscriber Subscriber

My Sony PS-X7 parks the tonearm in the up position when the record is not being played. @jrtrent is correct. Put on a record, start the player so that the stylus drops on the record and starts to play, then pull the AC plug to remove the power. At the same time, stop the platter from rotating. This should free the arm so that you can align it with what ever protractor you have and be able to use a digital (or other) scale to set the VTF.

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  6. hmegdal

hmegdal New Member

Fantastic you guys, did it this way. Appreciate it!

Grbluen likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.