How to choose the right camera

reyneman

Requiescat in pace
I just bought a new digital camera, thought I'd share the steps I found that worked the best for me. With the vast numbers of competing cameras out there in all market segments, you may find this useful.

1. Research- lots of web sites devoted to evaluating cameras.

2. Talk to people- see what they like or dislike in their real world use of the gear.

3. Determine your needs/wants and bump them against your budget. Use on-line stores to get price range to help you narrow down the selection.

4. Go out and handle them- pictures can't tell you what feels right in YOUR hand.

After going through all these steps, even talking to fellow AK Bros for their opinions, I decided that the Canon A-75 or A-80 was the camera to buy (for me, YMMV;) ).

I then promptly went out and bought a Sony DSC-W1:eek:

Hey, ..it happens:p:

Originally posted by reyneman
I just bought a new digital camera, thought I'd share the steps I found that worked the best for me. With the vast numbers of competing cameras out there in all market segments, you may find this useful.

1. Research- lots of web sites devoted to evaluating cameras.

2. Talk to people- see what they like or dislike in their real world use of the gear.

3. Determine your needs/wants and bump them against your budget. Use on-line stores to get price range to help you narrow down the selection.

4. Go out and handle them- pictures can't tell you what feels right in YOUR hand.

After going through all these steps, even talking to fellow AK Bros for their opinions, I decided that the Canon A-75 or A-80 was the camera to buy (for me, YMMV;) ).

I then promptly went out and bought a Sony DSC-W1:eek:

Hey, ..it happens:p:

A good resource is right here:

Steve's Digicams - The 'Best' Cameras

I've found this useful in the past, perhaps others will as well.

Best,

Wiggy

Also, if you can get your camera at a large business you may be able to return it. The best test is actually taking pictures... ask yourself if you like the results and if you find the camera user interface friendly for you.

CK

I also forgot to mention, check out the cost and availability of media for the camera, as well as batteries... digital cameras chew batteries like crazy.

CK

Back
Top Bottom