How to clean a tuner (analog)

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by dr*audio, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Active Member

About 2 years ago I posted a thank you to Warren for this sticky. The unit I was having issues with was also a TU-717. Noisy when moving the tuning capacitor.

2. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Thanks to this thread, I was able to clean up and improve a lowly SX 3400 Pioneer. The baby of the 1980 lineup. She's singing sweetly now. No locomotive rumble anymore.

However, my SX3700 (also acquired the same day as the 3400) which should have a far better tuner, WILL NOT lock onto anything in stereo. Mono, it'll do okay, tho the 5 lights for signal strength don't budge, or at least don't light up (local NPR station, which is usually maxing any signal meter, hits 2 out of 5).

The "stereo" light doesn't come on, even when in stereo (which I can only pick up the NPR station, not a single other one) and so I don't know if its burned out or what. On my old 7065, when the stereo bulb burned out, it wouldn't go into stereo mode. Odd, yeah, I know. Replaced bulb, stereo once more.

The 3400 is KILLING the 3700. I've cleaned it a couple times, but still no "stereo" light, tho it does light up "FM LOCK" on the NPR station.

Another cleaning, or something that needs a tech? Thanks, Warren, for your fine thread.

3. Lesterbest

Lesterbest Super Member

Both tuners are long in the tooth. The 3700 needs an alignment. You caught a break with the 3400. You're batting 500. Not bad for >35 yr old tuners.

4. onwardjames

Damn. I know of no one who can do this. Thanks for the help, tho, Lesterbest. It's the dual analog/digital tuning that attracted me to the 3700. I mean, it'll hardly pick up anything with the stereo switch engaged.

5. rmunson

rmunson console destructor

Beeswax to the rescue for my tuner string! There was a place on the dial string that was worn and slipping -- I applied beeswax to that area of the string - as well as the rest of the accessible length of the tuner string - working the dial back and forth, the string started to grab where it previously spun/slipped --

hopefully this trick will serve -- would it be advisable to replace the tuner string with new dacron string?

6. alexanick

alexanick New Member

Hi draudio, I'm Ken and I'm in the Cleveland area also. Mayfield Village to be exact. Here's the problem I'm having. I have a Nikko 7075 tuner since 1978. I started having a problem where the one speaker would cut out. If I turn the volume control up (loud), it would come back on. If I turn it down to a comfortable setting it would cut out again. I have taken it to two different places already, both of which "fixed" it, only to have the problem come back a week or two later. Both said it was dirty, one I believe, replaced it. Any experience with this problem.

7. Don doner

Don doner New Member

Hi there I'm new here, I just acquired a Bose 1801 amp, Bose 4401 pre amp, Bose 550 receiver and 4 series 2 Bose 901 speakers, I have no clue what I should do with this stuff, is it worth keeping? And trying to getting working?

8. onwardjames

Hello, and welcome to audiokarma.

First, you should start your own thread about this very nice acquisition. Bose has its haters, but what you have is actually some rather desirable gear, especially the amp and pre.

If you list where you are, I'm sure there are some AK'ers around here who might stop by and help you hook it all up. Since I don't know your skill level, I would suggest pics, and also perhaps a rundown of where you got it, what issues you're certain about, etc. Tell us a bit more, but definitely start your own thread, perhaps in the "General Audio" section.

Best of luck.

9. Don doner

Don doner New Member

Thank you very much, I bought all of it very reasonably, I think it came out of a Stereo Shop in Canada, I have the original invoice from Bose along with the Original Ads for each piece , Shipping was more than what I paid for all of it do too the weight, As soon as I find my way around AK I'll post some good pictures.

10. Jack Tietjen

Jack Tietjen New Member

How do you align a tuner. Is it something a pro needs to do or can the average person do it?

11. Lesterbest

Lesterbest Super Member

Aliignment is a job for pros. They have the pricey test gear needed to do it properly. In addition you need experience & expertise. Bite the bullet, & pay a pro. Otherwise proceed @ your own peril.

12. Alfonsol

Alfonsol Active Member