How to clean a tuner (analog)

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by dr*audio, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Puddintane

Puddintane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Does anyone know which of these CRC products is the correct substitute for nonresidue contact cleaner or the Faderlube that's been recommended? They have one in a red can that's called QD electronic cleaner, one in a green can called contact cleaner and protectant , and then one in a blue can that's called QD contact cleaner. I think I can find all of those locally today rather than have to mail order something and wait a week. I think that the QD stands for quick drying.

2. Puddintane

3. dr*audio

dr*audio Fish fingers and custard! Subscriber

I looked on their website. I think any of the ones that say they are ok for plastics will be safe to use in a tuner but they use much harsher chemicals than the Caig stuff and I'd worry about health effects. Use with really good ventilation, like in an open garage with a fan blowing out the door.

4. Puddintane

I googled Deoxit and came across this video. You can skip ahead to about 12:50 for something interesting that relates to this whole thread.

5. jleon92f

jleon92f Addicted Member

Thanks for the information. I checked my tuner section capacitor. It had some green funk on the brass shaft. I cleaned it off, waiting for it to dry.
    John. :music::thumbsup: 100_8935.JPG 100_8936.JPG

6. Puddintane

So is this something that doesn't need to be done if the radio seems to be working okay, or should it be part of a typical cleaning regime for any vintage receiver (esp. one that's extra scuzzy inside)? I.e., "If it ain't broke don't fix it." It sounds as though it might sometimes actually foul things up, even when done correctly.

7. Puddintane

Had to use a Q-Tip and then a toothbrush to get the green crud and other oxidation off the shaft after using the CRC Electronic Cleaner. Most of it is gone, but what about the leftover bits that remain on the shaft between the fins (second pic)? Can't figure out how to get in there with anything without touching the fins a bit. Super-skinny toothpick? String? Does it matter? Proceed with the Faderlube on the contact points and not worry about it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017