How to clean this L-Pad

waggs098

A work buddy got a set of EAW speakers and asked me to clean the L-Pads. Got them tore apart and they are different than what I have seen.

How should I clean these? Just a small amount of deoxit? Also what should I use to regrease the shaft and center contacts?

Thanks
Justin

Attachments

• DSCN1793.JPG
    DSCN1793.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN1795.JPG
    DSCN1795.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN1798.JPG
    DSCN1798.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 178
They are potentiometers similar to what you find in AR speakers, They don't look too bad, Clean with salt and vinegar, lube with some dielectric grease

Don't forget the wiper and other contact points. There may be corrosion. I usually just scrape them lightly with a blade till they shine.

They are potentiometers similar to what you find in AR speakers, They don't look too bad, Clean with salt and vinegar, lube with some dielectric grease

Don't forget the wiper and other contact points. There may be corrosion. I usually just scrape them lightly with a blade till they shine.

Thanks for the replies. They do look pretty clean but he said they made noise when he turned them.

How would I use salt and vinegar? Could vinegar damage the ceramic case of he pot?

Should I use dielectric grease on the shaft also and just use the stuff I find at auto parts stores?

Thanks for the replies. They do look pretty clean but he said they made noise when he turned them.

How would I use salt and vinegar? Could vinegar damage the ceramic case of he pot?

Should I use dielectric grease on the shaft also and just use the stuff I find at auto parts stores?

Mix the salt and vinegar to make a weak acid solution. soak in the solution to dissolve any corrosion -a little scrubbing and light sanding on the wipers, you should be good to go. I used autoparts store grease but you can get it wherever you want - the grease will make the controls smoother and deter future corrosion

Wire-wound pots are often inherently noisier than carbon-track pots, due to the make-break nature of the mechanism, though the wire can corrode or oxidise. Gently wipe the wire and wiper contact with Deoxit or similar contact cleaner.

Wire-wound pots are often inherently noisier than carbon-track pots, due to the make-break nature of the mechanism, though the wire can corrode or oxidise. Gently wipe the wire and wiper contact with Deoxit or similar contact cleaner.

I was wondering if that's is what he was hearing. He didn't let me hear them before he took the crossovers out. I'll just do some light cleaning and regrease them and call it good.

Deoxit D100L would be my first choice. It is (arguably) the best cleaner available to remove oxidation/corrosion, and it would leave a thin protective film. I don't doubt that vinegar would do something helpful, but I don't believe the results long term would be as good as with Deoxit. How many times will you have those pieces removed from the speakers and disassembled? Might as well give it a best effort as this will likely be the only time they get attention. Don't forget to work on the wipers as well as the coils.

Back
Top Bottom