How to connect Equalizer to my system...phono pre-amp, pre-amp, and amp sections

iandoerner

Hi all,

I have a nice main system that I would like to add a cheap 10 band equalizer to to mess with my sound a bit. My system consists of a tube phono pre-amp (Audio Horizons tp 8.0), a tube pre-amp (Balanced Audio Technologies VK30SE) and a solid state power amp (Balanced Audio Technologies VK220).

Where do I place the Equalizer in the sequence? After the Phono amp and before the Pre-amp? See Photos...

The conventional method is from the tape REC output of the preamplifier to the EQ input; from the EQ output back to the TAPE monitor input of the preamplifier.

This allows you to engage/bypass the EQ via the tape monitor switch of the preamplifier.

**I don't understand why there are two inputs labeled "Line In" on the EQ. :headscrat

Last edited:
The conventional method is from the tape REC output of the preamplifier to the EQ input; from the EQ output back to the TAPE monitor input of the preamplifier.

This allows you to engage/bypass the EQ via the tape monitor switch of the preamplifier.

**I don't understand why there are two inputs labeled "Line In" on the EQ. :headscrat

Yep.
What HE said :)

(If you look closely, you can see an "Input" button on the EQ. Maybe to allow for multiple preamps? Who knows WHY...)

Yep.
What HE said :)

(If you look closely, you can see an "Input" button on the EQ. Maybe to allow for multiple preamps? Who knows WHY...)

Yep,
Two line in's for multiple sources, two tape in's for two decks, and one main out.

That makes sense - I guess the 2nd input is switchable from the front - (the front panel nomenclature is very difficult to read).

Adding to the confusion is the labeling of the output "MON OUT" instead of just "OUT" or "LINE OUT" which would make more sense. :dunno:

Definitely one of the more flexible EQs I have seen though.

On second thought - is this one of those newer units that only has record outputs but no tape monitor loop?

If so, the answer is no.

Looks like you're back to running the phono output through the EQ as you originally suggested.

Disregard all advice thus far proffered.

**No disrespect to your equipment intended - but this arrangement in some newer equipment is abominable. :thumbsdn:

Looks like you're back to running the phono output through the EQ as you originally suggested.

**No disrespect to your equipment intended - but this arrangement in some newer equipment is abominable. :thumbsdn:

Well I certainly understand that many people would absolutely not recommend me trying to connect an equalizer to this system, its just that in the past, I have felt the music a bit flat and needing a bit more on the high end. Low end could use a small boost as well but is not necessary. Looks like i may not be able to do that though as the only placement that works in my scenario would provide little if any benefit.

Thanks for the help and I'm open to more suggestions

Well I certainly understand that many people would absolutely not recommend me trying to connect an equalizer to this system, its just that in the past, I have felt the music a bit flat and needing a bit more on the high end. Low end could use a small boost as well but is not necessary. Looks like i may not be able to do that though as the only placement that works in my scenario would provide little if any benefit.

Thanks for the help and I'm open to more suggestions

Sorry, I had been referring to the lack of tape monitor loop as being abominable - not the use of the EQ with which I can most certainly appreciate. :)

It probably saved the manufacturer $20 not to incorporate the loop - because they assume nobody uses tapes anymore - then why put in a damn record output to begin with? Stupid - IMHO. And especially when it can be used for a signal processing device - as witnessed in this case here.

Since your EQ has the ability to accept another input, you can run your phono preamp out to the EQ and another source such as a CD player or tuner into the other. Unfortunately it means you will always have to run the system with the EQ on and any devices connected at the preamplifier input jacks will not be processed by the EQ.

Last edited:
Depending on the signal levels, it might be possible to connect the EQ between the preamp and the power amp.

I have have XLR to RCA adapters so I could make that happen. Unfortunately, I can't test any of this out as it appears the VK30SE isn't powering up at all. Not sure why, this is a sudden development. Ill check the connections and such and hopefully take of that problem.

Back
Top Bottom