How to deep clean a tube amp

Discussion in 'Fisher Forum Stickies' started by audiodon, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Fisherdude

Fisherdude Regular Dude - Super Mod Super Mod Subscriber

MG is another good one. :thmbsp:

2. walyfd

walyfd Well-Known Member

While looking at the 500B the other night, I got to thinking about another way to clean the knobs. I took the "D" shaped shank from an old potentiometer and cut it, then put it in my variable speed reversible drill and set it to low speed (100 rpm or so). Put a knob on the shank and held a towel with a dab of Brasso against the knob cap and ran the drill in both forward and reverse. It allowed the Brasso to get into the machined grooves of the brass cap without leaving swirl marks. Wash, rinse, dry and wax as before.

For the smaller size, dual knobs (Bass and Treble controls), I found a piece of wood dowel and cut it so it would fit the knob. A larger dowel would also work if you don't have a scrap potentiometer.

This procedure also works on the larger knobs with the brass rings such as on the X202! On those, it will shine up the brown plastic fronts but keep the speed LOW or you could start to melt the plastic or damage the ^ markings.

3. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

That's CHEATING! Rubbing brass with Brasso to a faultless shine is a character building exercise. And we've got too many "Characters" here. SO CHEAT AWAY!!!!

4. ferninando

ferninando AK Subscriber Subscriber

I polish all my stuff on a buffing wheel on a haf horse motor using buffing compound. cant beat it for mirrior finish.
    used it on all my old cars stainless trim during restoration.

5. walyfd

walyfd Well-Known Member

I did all the stainless on my cars, too. Makes a LOT of dust, especially the white rouge. Probably took 3 years of life out of my lungs... And you can't do just one part, you gotta do them all, like rechroming one piece throws the whole car off...

Brasso is CHEATING? Try SILVO! I had a tough time finding Brasso a few years ago. I still have some in the old metal can.

6. Fisherdude

Fisherdude Regular Dude - Super Mod Super Mod Subscriber

I'll give ya fifty bucks for it. :D

7. AlTinkster92

AlTinkster92 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Brasso was almost Army issue for us Army guys back in the 60's! Show up in formation with a dull brass belt buckle. KP or give me 50 push ups! :D

8. larryderouin

Navy Found back in the late 50's that the amount of Brasso being used on Torpedo tubes on Sub's was removing enough of the tube thickness to actually cause the NAVY to banish it's use on Torpedo tubes and piping exposed to full sea pressure on Submarines.

Run she might. SHINE SHE MUST!

9. larryderouin

Don asked me to put my thought's down on using "Scrubbing Bubbles" Bathroom cleaner on chassis. Don't use the scented versions. The plain version is the best.

This is for chassis' in excellent shape with a need for light cleaning. Chassis' with rusting or other heavy corrosion will need more aggressive methods.

1.) It's good on lightly dirty (Mainly dusty) chassis. Heavy dirt will have to come off with something more agressive. But for light dirt it works well. SHAKE CAN VIGOROUSLY BEFORE and DURING USE.
    2.) Use a paint brush to stir it around and get the dirt mixed into it. A 1" or 1/2" art brush is sufficiently stiff.
    3.) Wipe off with Scott shop towels.
    4.) spray chassis BEFORE IT DRIES with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and wipe down. This gets the residue/stains off.

5.) Don't get either the Scrubbing bubbles OR the Isopropyl on or in the TUNING Capacitor. Use CRC QD Contact cleaner or other NON RESIDUE Electrical cleaner.

Set unit up on side, start at top and work down with Isopropyl which will displace the water in the scrubbing bubbles. Get in the crooks and nannies...UHHHH Nooks and crannies. Set up a fan to help evaporate liquids, and set in the sun. I do this for 2 days after cleaning. Baking @ 175 upside down for 4-6 hours is optional and depends on how your better 1/2 likes her oven being used for a drying rack.

DO USE A VARIAC AND DBT on 1st power up. Check all voltages. If everything is ok, you're good to go.

10. hoangngan

hoangngan New Member

Thanks!

11. audiodon

audiodon AK Subscriber Subscriber

Here's a link to the AEA Audio tube amp cleanup thread of April 2015. There are some good ideas here.
    Remember, there's no single way to do this, but the common goal of getting this tube amp clean, which through the miracle of convection draws and filters all kind of household dust, smoke (from the old days mostly), cooking smells, and pet hair and who knows what else, is something we all share.
    There's something to be learned from everyone's experience.
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=655366

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015