How to Deoxit these buttons?

Scott75s1974

I picked this small Sony integrated amp up off the curb trying low level efforts to get back in working condition. I suspect some of these buttons are gummed up.

Any experienced advice on how to treat this common pcb style? I'm going to blast underneath.

IMG_1182.JPG

Those look like tactile switches. You could try spraying into the top. I believe the bottoms are sealed. Might have to blow compressed air into them to help dry them up afterwards.

Yeah ... forget about cleaning them. The switch membranes are usually fused to the backing strata and you shouldn't see any corrosion. What you WILL see, with frustrating regularity, is the membranes distort or drift off center, not allowing the switch to work properly.

Considering what you paid for it ... just hit em harder. <G>

Yeah ... forget about cleaning them. The switch membranes are usually fused to the backing strata and you shouldn't see any corrosion. What you WILL see, with frustrating regularity, is the membranes distort or drift off center, not allowing the switch to work properly.

Considering what you paid for it ... just hit em harder. <G>
Thanks, I guess I'll save the Deoxit then. I'll check them out with a dmm--to see if the click matches with continuity.

It's an STK unit. So either one side is blown, or the balance switches are gummed up. The balance indicator would drop on its own.
I'll take a close look at those switches. But not going deep into this one. It might have been on the curb for a reason.

(A nice Realistic system 7 receiver was on the same curb--in fine shape and along with some Optimus 7's I bought years ago has become my daughter's new stereo.)

I work regularly on some models of equipment that have between 24 and 32 tactile and dome switches. Our rule is if 1 is bad, they all get replaced. The failure of the switches seem to be a "regional" issue - units from parts of the country with high humidity seem to have more problems.

There are thousands of different styles of these switches - check for proper dimensions including height - proper number of connections - activation pressure (color coded by the color of the button) - Chris

Last edited:
The failure of the switches seem to be a "regional" issue - units from parts of the country with high humidity seem to have more problems.

My old Sony out in the minimally heated (and often humid) garage has multiple failures,and it uses these switches for everything!

My old Sony out in the minimally heated (and often humid) garage has multiple failures,and it uses these switches for everything!

Yup - I actually just completed a rebuild (5 minutes ago) where I replace 32 tactile switches. Of the original switches, only 2 worked if pressed really hard - now everything works like new - Chris

Back
Top Bottom