How to: Ethernet in, RCA out?

arbalest

I am filling in the mental "big picture" here and I want understand the link to a 2 channel system without using WiFi.

I guess that there are media receivers that have a RJ-45 jack and that you can connect it to your network and (I think) send media files to it via an app on your phone or tablet. Even if that is the case I would rather use anything from a vintage receiver, powered speakers or a T-amp as the final link in the chain.

I see that there is an ethernet adapter for the Chromecast Audio. It seems that then you need more to have less (i.e., buy an adapter to NOT have WiFi). That is an option I guess.

Looking at Allo, PiCore, etc documentation I still can't tell if these devices can be "network DACs". I know they have an RJ-45 jack and WiFi capability. It just isn't explicitly stated that either connection to the network can be used to send (remote controlled) files to it on their way to some 2 channel end point. Can they?

What I don't see is off-the-shelf, small form factor, inexpensive, devices that are basically ethernet DACs.

I understand that I will still need WiFi to control this sort of set-up with a phone or tablet in any case.

I understand that some locate a laptop/desktop near their audio system and use the 3.5mm jack or a USB DAC. I do some of that already but would like to see a single small device replace the laptop.

Apple AirPort Express, about $15 used. RJ45 ethernet and a dual-use 3.5mm jack (analog to RCAs using internal DAC OR optical feeding digital data to downstream DAC in receiver or external gizmo). Will only feed from iTunes at CD quality max, but can do so wirelessly OR using hardwired Ethernet connection, your option.

Last edited:
What you need is a network musical player, sometimes known as a digital player. It will connect to your network via ethernet and include software to play digital files through your system. You basically need 3 functions: indexing and retrieving music files, rendering them into bitstreams for digital-to-analog conversion, and the digital-to-analog conversion. Sonos, Bluesound, and many others make fairly small devices that are basically plug-and-play and include all three functions. I have not seen any without wi fi, though just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it. There are also some devices that perform only some of these functions, assuming the use of separate DACs or indexing/rendering software.

I looked at the Allo products, and I think that the player and DAC are separate in their system, but it's hard to tell from their website. It is one of many built on a Raspberry Pi micro computer platform. These usually require a bit more tech savvy than solutions like Sonos or Bluesound. PiCore looks like an app for computers.

Edit: awillia6 beat me to the punch. Yes, the AirPort Express will do what you want, but it does depend on the use of a computer running iTunes, whereas the pricier devices I mentioned need a computer or mobile device only to run the controller apps.

They are also sometimes referenced as music streamers, there are multiple offers at all price ranges.

Besides the CCA and already mentionned Bluesound node 2, there is the Yamaha WXC-50 that I own. It includes a correct DAC and can stream lossless FLAC files from your computer on the network or online streaming services

I'm thinking a basic recent Android tablet with an OTG hub to an external DAC and a USB to Ethernet adapter might work. Need to find an Android media player that can send bit-accurate audio (USB Audio Player PRO?) to the DAC and a compatible Ethernet adapter. You do need an external DAC but you probably want that anyway as bundled solutions are often compromises in quality and/or flexibility.

Back
Top Bottom